Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Enigma@home now has OSX/PPC app

Enigma@home now has OSX/PPC app
zombie67
Senior User
Nov 28, 2007, 03:37 PM

reader50
Administrator
Nov 28, 2007, 04:26 PM

zombie, would you like to have posting privileges for the team site? You've been seriously on top of things lately.

You're posting way more news than I do; it's getting embarrassing.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2007, 05:59 PM

Seems like they should update their system requirements...they curently list "Pentium or better CPU."

(Yes, I know we all think that PPC is better than a Pentium CPU.)

QS

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Nov 28, 2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
zombie, would you like to have posting privileges for the team site? You've been seriously on top of things lately.

You're posting way more news than I do; it's getting embarrassing.
If it is as simple as posting here, or close to it, sure. If it requires I need to know how to mess with html, it is probably over my head.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 28, 2007, 11:13 PM

It is done, you have story posting permission on team.macnn.com.

You can add stories via text or basic HTML, it defaults to text. When adding a story, you leave most of the many settings alone. In nearly all cases, you only need to adjust the following options:

Title: [ Breaking News, Water Good For Health ]
Topic: (popup) "Team News" is the front page, others are project-specific.
Mode: (popups):
-- "Featured" causes the story to be stickied to the top. Use this option only for important stuff. If used, you need to come back to it at some time later to release it - there's no automatic expiration.
-- "Show on front page" (default) is for stories placed within a particular project. This option causes the story to also appear in the Team News front page, for everyone to see.
Intro Text: [ Scientists have discovered that drinking water promotes good health. ] <-- stuff here appears in the story listing on the front page / within specific project pages. The entire story can be placed here.
Body Text: [ For the research details, call Dept Of Health Services, at the following #s ... ] <-- for longer stories, only put the first couple paragraphs in the Intro box. The rest goes here, and geeklog will add a "read more" link after the intro on the front page. The full-story page the link brings up will knit the two story blocks together.

There are some formatting controls, also insert tools for images & links. Near the bottom is the Post Mode which lets you choose HTML if you wanted to. That is mostly if you wanted very fine control of a story's formatting.

I'm not sure about using the image attachment commands. It ought to use some local storage folder on the server, and we do have server space. But I've never used that, so I can't confirm if image attachments will work. Linked images work just fine. Be careful with linked images, I don't believe there is any automatic resizing. Anything much larger than 240 px is likely to make the page look weird, depending on the size of the user's browser window.

When the story is done, the Save (post), Preview, Cancel, Delete commands are at the top. The "Delete" command is for an existing story, geeklog reuses the story-submission page as the edit-story page.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Nov 28, 2007, 11:49 PM

Cool! I'll give it a shot with the next bit of news I have. That new work at Predictor message is painful...

Edit: Um...now I can't log in on the home page.

Edit #2: Never mind. I was able to reset it.

Edit #3: How do I start the "add an item" process? Is there a button or link somewhere that I am missing?

Edit #4: Yes, I missed it. Lower left. I'm blind. Last one. Promise!
( Last edited by zombie67; Nov 29, 2007 at 12:03 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules