Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > BMW and Ipod

BMW and Ipod
JP Valls
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2008, 04:35 AM

I have just bought a BMW car (X5) with USB port option. I have been converting all my audio CD collection (more than 400 CD's) to MP3 using iTunes. All my CD's are original. No 'stolen music'. Well, I have discovered that when I dowload this MP3 files to a USB Pen Drive and plug it into de car, the song titles do apear on the car screen, but they refuse to play. The BMW user manual states that MP3 files without 'reproduction rights' will not be played. I have confirmed that if I employ MP3 files from other sources (not generated with iTunes) they play normally.
Why iTunes 'protects or signals this MP3 files as 'protected' if they are generated from 'legal' CD's ?.

How can I remove the 'protection' from the MP3 files I have (it has been a lot of work converting more than 400 CD's, including the scanning of the covers ?

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2008, 06:43 AM

You must be doing something seriously wrong. I use my pendrives regularly to play back music in BMWs (1-series, 3-series, 6-series) and haven't had any problems whatsoever. Just like yours, my mp3s are also CD-rips done in iTunes.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMiniā„¢ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

JP Valls  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2008, 09:52 AM

Probably I have done something wrong, but... what ?
If I burn the same MP3 files (the ones obtained using the iTunes) into a CD, the BMW X5 plays the files on the CD player without any problems. And as said, using the same pen drive with MP3 files not obtained from iTunes works perfectlly.
Regards

OreoCookie
Jun 27, 2008, 05:43 AM

I suspect you have encoded your music as aac files and not as mp3s. You can check in the iTunes prefs (Import options). If you've indeed selected aac, you can re-encode all your songs very easily:
(i) Launch iTunes and select your Library.
(ii) Open the iTunes Preferences > Advanced > Importing. Change from AAC encoder to mp3 encoder (second to last on the list).
(iii) Select View > View Options from the menu. Make sure that `Kind' (second column, middle) is checked. Click on ok.
(iv) Scroll to the right and sort by Kind.
(v) Select all AAC files. Then choose Advanced > Convert selection to mp3.
(vi) Get a cup of coffee, this may take a while.
(vii) Once it is finished, you can select all aac files and delete them. Make sure to select `Move to Trash' so that they don't take up space on your harddrive anymore.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2008, 11:40 AM

It's either what OreoCookie stated, or the drive isn't FAT32 formatted.

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 28, 2008, 11:03 PM

you cant connect the ipods to the x5 or older bmw that do not have the usb, correct?
only the itrip can used ?
R.I.P Steve Jobs

samson1286
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2008, 01:45 AM

to mkerr64,

If you go to BMW Parts and BMW Accessories | Bavarian Autosport, you can put in your car model and year. Then you can search ipod and you will find many different options. Also a great website for bmw addicts.

mkerr64
Senior User
Jul 1, 2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by samson1286 View Post
to mkerr64,

If you go to BMW Parts and BMW Accessories | Bavarian Autosport, you can put in your car model and year. Then you can search ipod and you will find many different options. Also a great website for bmw addicts.
Thank you very much!!
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Forum Links
Forum Rules