Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > what the hell is with quark 6.1?

what the hell is with quark 6.1?
ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2004, 08:57 PM

It stops the ability to save sometimes...I always press command-s every minute or so in any app...just been burnt before...so say, 1 in 8 times, when i save, quark says either the doc is already open or it can't find the original doc...even so, it won't even let me save the work as a different name..nope. I lost a lot of work because of it

image preview on high rez makes working with quark impossible! Yet if you don't turn on high rez for preview, everything you print comes out low res! even pdfs for proofs...

ok so there are going to be a lot of go indesign...i have it and it's just too new for me to switch in a middle of a job...i will def look into it...but for now anothone eles feel the fustration and if u have any tips thanks

york28
Senior User
Aug 3, 2004, 01:29 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems. It is Quark tho...

I'd suggest asking in the Art/Graphic Design forum- you might get more replies there.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2004, 06:04 PM

Quark has repeatedly stated that they don't care for the Mac platform. If at all possible, I suggest jumping ship to InDesign.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 06:13 PM

Topic: what the hell is with quark 6.1?
Answer: it sucks

ironknee  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2004, 06:20 PM

agreed they suck

all they had to do was replicate 4.1 on osx...forget any new features.. make it stable and fast

bastards! dumb bastards....errrrr

anyways thanks for the support

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2004, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
all they had to do was replicate 4.1 on osx...forget any new features.. make it stable and fast
This may perhaps give some insight as to why they failed miserably: http://www.livejournal.com/users/agsnu/17669.html

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2004, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Quark has repeatedly stated that they don't care for the Mac platform. If at all possible, I suggest jumping ship to InDesign.
Riiiiight and that is why Quark Publishing System is now available for Mac OS X.

What ironknee is describing sounds like a strange bug. I'd ask on the Quark forums for help.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

tuqqer
Aug 3, 2004, 11:11 PM

I use 4 print shops, two in state, and two in the midwest. All of them now take InDesign work, and have said they prefer it.

I dropped Quark 2 years ago. It's one of the happiest application decisions I've ever made. I will never use Quark again.
Leopard 10.5.x •• 2.66Ghz Mac Pro, 7 Gigs RAM •• dual 20 Samsung LCDs •• MacBook Core Duo 13" 2Ghz White

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2004, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Riiiiight and that is why Quark Publishing System is now available for Mac OS X.
Yeah, it was available really soon after release and it's really high quality software

They have said they're writing future versions in C# and .NET and stuff. They hope to get some form of Mac version running via Mono, but whatever.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2004, 09:46 AM

Yeah, it was available really soon after release and it's really high quality software

They have said they're writing future versions in C# and .NET and stuff. They hope to get some form of Mac version running via Mono, but whatever.
They want to rewrite everything for C# and .net? HA As if that'll ever happen. As for your stick, yes the QPS 3 is a newly released product both for Mac and PC - so Quark is a jour with the Mac still. Like Microsoft they'll continue to support the Mac as long as it gives them profits and perhaps longer if they get rid of that nutty Ibrihimi bastardo.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2004, 11:45 AM

Indeed, these witnesses attest, audience questions about Mac OS X provoked an Ebrahimi tirade of Old Testament proportions: Quark�s Dear Leader told his squirming guests that �the Macintosh platform is shrinking,� and that �publishing is dying.� He suggested that anyone dissatisfied with Quark�s Mac commitment should �switch to something else,� although he insisted that making the move to Adobe�s long-Carbonized InDesign package is �committing suicide.�

ironknee  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2004, 06:13 PM

btw, the most popular post on quark's own bb is titles, "why does quark suck so much?"

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2004, 07:32 PM

Insane Ebrahimi quote
Yes I remember that crap. Which is why I suggested Quark deep sixes Mr. Ebrihimi ASAP. That quote was made before Quark 6 was out for Mac and before Quark Publishing System 3 was out for Mac and before Steve Jobs had a serious discussion with Quark and presumably Ebrihimi. I remember Steve chastising Quark on stage at an Expo for being so late with QXP6. Now there is a very different sound coming from the Quark camp than back in the day of that rant you quoted. Every Expo since then or major event where Steve Jobs discusses OS X, he always mentions Quark or displays their logo on the screen behind him. Whatever was going on between Apple/the Mac and Quark is over now. Quark is not abandoning the Macintosh nor do they seem to have any plans to. Their software may suck or perhaps is not suited to some people's needs but it is here to stay. That much is at least obvious.

For those who have tried QXP and then ID for instance there is always a very immediate reaction. Either they immediately jump at ID and spend the rest of their time yapping aimlessly about it on an internet forum - especially when the topic is QXP and *not* ID. Sad really, it is *software* and you either like it or leave it - or have to use it either way, but when people are asking for help about industry leading software package A the least helpful thing is to tell them to switch to industry newbie package B. Well, maybe the least helpful thing would be to post "it's working fine here"

/rant

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2004, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
btw, the most popular post on quark's own bb is titles, "why does quark suck so much?"
that *is* funny!

Now there is something you'd NEVER find on Apple's bb (they censor everything negative about their company and their products)

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2004, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Quark is not abandoning the Macintosh nor do they seem to have any plans to.
If you look at posts by Quark engineers on mailing lists, it's quite obvious that they're not very concerned with Mac OS X. Quark outsourced their development to India, and as a result seems to have a lot of people with no development experience working for them. They frequently post things like "i do <something> on windows. what is the equivalent on MAC??!". This is not the correct attitude for writing good cross-platform software. It's like write for Windows, then go through and work out the "equivalent" line of code for the Mac.

The evidence of the quality (or lack of) resulting from this approach is Quark 6.1, which is universally regarded as "teh suck".

Disagree all you like, but whatever.

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2004, 01:54 PM

Voodoo secretly works for Quark.

Give him the prize for most loyal to a corporation of idiots.

Heh, just teasing with ya voodoo. I'll never understand you, and that's okay.
Me
Dual 2.6GHz Intel Xeon | 23" Apple Cinema Display | 13" MacBook | 15" AluBook 1.67 GHz | 1.42 GHz Mac mini | 50" NEC Plasma | Tiger | 80GB iPod Video | 60GB iPod photo | 4GB iPod mini | 1GB iPod shuffle | 4GB iPod nano

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2004, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by fetopher:

Heh, just teasing with ya voodoo. I'll never understand you, and that's okay.
Hey no hard feelings.

I know people have very different opinions on the topic. Seems Quark has wronged certain people in the past - yet not me or anyone I know. Guess I'm lucky like that.

One thing I missed is that Ebrihimi was sacked and last January one Kamar Aulakh took over as CEO of Quark. I'd say that explains the revitalization of the Mac platform at Quark.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 11:48 PM

Sigh. I landed myself a job where Quark reigns, and so (rather to my dismay) I find myself back in the Quark camp, after 2 years of InDesign.

Love the new job, but sure don't love this poor, buggy Carbon port. It's like meeting an old friend who suffered some kind of terrible and mysterious brain damage.

I'm experiencing frequent crashes, endless text and screen redraw glitches, and that utterly awful inability-to-save problem -- which also, apparently, seems to delete the original file (???!!!) if you close the unable-to-save unsaved document. Good lord.

Does anyone have any workarounds for using this thing? I've enabled auto-save just to protect myself (?), try to avoid using project layouts as to not heap too much into one file to avoid massive data loss, etc, but it's still much too often a very painful and frustrating experience...

lookmark
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 12:13 AM

More information about the fail-to-save bug/crash here (from Quark's forums):

http://quark.com/service/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2928

(shiver)

I think I'm going to resist using the (absurd) "Apple LaserWriter 16/600 PS v201" workaround, just on principle. Unless I grow so desperate that I have to.

I can't decide whether to use Auto-save or not. Quark is so crash-prone currently I can't imagine not using it, but if the above problem is related to it...

eep
Sep 29, 2004, 01:33 AM

The only way I've found to combat the can't save feature is to make a new document and then drag that documents page layout items to the new documents page layout window.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 08:04 AM

I love how quark threads get sand up ID kids' giners. You guys remind me of the mac zealots.

In other news, ironknee, I've been getting this bug since 4.x days, especially when network drives are concerned. I've never found a workaround, but then again, I also *knockonwood* haven't gotten it since I started using 6.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
I love how quark threads get sand up ID kids' giners. You guys remind me of the mac zealots.

In other news, ironknee, I've been getting this bug since 4.x days, especially when network drives are concerned. I've never found a workaround, but then again, I also *knockonwood* haven't gotten it since I started using 6.
ID kid? Buddy, I've been using Quark since the 3.3.x days. It used to be, very long ago --compared to its rivals of the time -- an extraordinary piece of software. But it's been a long, sad, shambling ride downhill since then, and QX6 is by far the clunkiest, crashiest version I've used.

Unless this is just my bad luck (or have a handful of corrupted fonts, or something), I don't quite get why, as a Quark user, you wouldn't be irritated about this.

I think I'll try turning Auto-Save off, but keep Auto-Backup on.

Originally posted by eep:
The only way I've found to combat the can't save feature is to make a new document and then drag that documents page layout items to the new documents page layout window.
That's my tactic now as well -- tedious and aggrevating, but it seems to work. (Of course, you have to do for all your pages, and forget about any guides you have set up.) The first time, I got burned.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Oct 25, 2004, 01:51 PM

We're having an issue with Quark where it just won't show certain fonts in the font menu. Photoshop has no problem using them, and fontbook is cool with it. The really dumb part is that it's a variation of an existing font - the italic version.

Has anyone seen this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules