Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Weird video cutout problem - please diagnose

Weird video cutout problem - please diagnose
pjosborne
Apr 24, 2003, 05:38 PM

Hi All,

I have a really weird problem with my Dual USB. I haven't experienced these symptoms before today, when I installed a replacement battery from Apple - though the problem now appears regardless of whether the new or replacement battery is in (and even when the machine is running on AC) .....

If I move the iBook (particularly if it I squeeze anywhere on the left-side of the iBook's base as I pick it up) I get weird artefacts on the screen (lines, or ghosting or both). If I move the screen or squeeze again the video will go completely. Usually, at this point the backlight is still running and OS X is still operating normally (I can ssh in from my desktop). However, about 20% of the time the machine crashes completely (although even then the backlight still usually seems to stay on). I have checked the battery is seated flush (it seems to be) and am running out of ideas. Anyone else seen this before?

I'm still under AppleCare, I just really don't want to have to send the iBook away unless I have to (since they have to go all the way to Holland from here!).

Cheers
Peter (UK)
Peter Osborne
Small Fry Web Hosting

Forum Links
Forum Rules