Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Samsung Galaxy S4 Launch "Event"

Samsung Galaxy S4 Launch "Event"
subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2013, 08:10 PM

Hard to say, but this might just have given Qualcomm a run for their money.

It's going to take time to process. I'm still reeling.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2013, 08:28 PM

Sealobo
Mar 14, 2013, 09:18 PM

this samsung event is worse than the Blackberry 10 event.

i guess samsung ran out of stuff to copy from Apple and they started doing random features with the device that nobody will actually use.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2013, 10:33 PM

Those features are for tipsy cougars ogling the pool boy.

OreoCookie
Mar 14, 2013, 11:01 PM

What a cultural difference to Apple keynotes, just wow: Tons of actors who have nothing invested into Samsung (except for the paycheck, of course), a view on women that is seemingly stuck in the last century and an obsession with forced jokes. It's kind of sad, because even interesting features (such as the eraser feature from the camera) are hidden in presentation that in parts makes me want to puke (or »lose my lunch« to borrow a phrase from the presentation).

Also, Samsung still inundates people with pointless numbers/checklist feature items: who cares if the battery is rated at 2,600 mAh, what I want to know is the battery life of this thing, and how it compares to the SIII and »other smartphones« out there. How much thinner is it compared to the old model? And if you are proud to use high-quality plastic (polycarbonate), telling us what sets Samsung's version apart from others.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2013, 08:59 AM

From here Samsung Galaxy S4: what the analysts (and others) say | Technology | guardian.co.uk :

Tim Bray, who works on Google Play at Google, tweeted in a personal capacity to back up Wood, and added:

"That product launch was inexcusable. It'll be a cold day in hell before I buy a product from those idiots."

— Tim Bray (@timbray) March 15, 2013

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2013, 09:01 AM

Plenty of competitors in the Android smartphone space. I like my Nexii (4 and 7) and my Asus TF101. Hopefully they'll get some more sales and bring Samsung down a peg or two.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2013, 09:02 AM

Ignore

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2013, 10:19 AM

Is there a single new feature of this phone that even remotely sounds useful? Pausing a video when you look away? Hovering your finger over the screen? Waving your hand to do things?

This thing is going to have one hell of a list of features with little checks next to them.

It's funny how the android fanbase talking point is that "Apple is boring and the new phone always looks just like the last phone"

Well guess what, this new phone looks exactly like the last one, and offers no practical new anything. I wonder how many articles we'll see about Samsung losing it's magic.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2013, 10:26 AM

Gizmodo said the S4 'lacks "Wow" factor'. I always thought the wow factor of the previous models was just "Wow, its nearly as good as an iPhone but cheaper". Hardly much of a wow.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2013, 10:40 AM

I forgot some features...

It can take a photo with the front camera AND the back camera at the same time and you can add sound to still photos!

MIND BLOWN!

I mean seriously, what the hell? Are they even thinking about this stuff for a second? Did someone get up on stage and present these "features" with a straight face?

I can see the board room meeting now.

FEATURES! WE NEED FEATURES! Throw some at me. We need at least 10 more checkboxes if we want to beat Apple.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2013, 10:54 AM

I'm an Android fan, but this does nothing for me. Gimmicks not features really.

And TBH, who gives a sh1t what the phone looks like? Most people cover theirs with a case anyway.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2013, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
And TBH, who gives a sh1t what the phone looks like? Most people cover theirs with a case anyway.
To quote Samsung's own commercial...

"If it looks the same, how will anyone know I upgraded?"

Seriously though, when they put out a line of commercials that basically call apple users idiots, they are asking for some backlash.

Guess what Einsteins, your new phone looks exactly the fuggin same. Better get some more celebrities to talk about everything but what your products actually do to distract us from that fact.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2013, 03:48 PM

They're getting a ton of flak from within the Android community as well. Especially as HTC has just, quietly, launched the ONE. There's a phone that's on par with the iPhone as far as build quality is concerned.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2013, 08:39 PM

It's likely I'd get the Note 3 and pass on the SG4, but I carry two phones, one for phone use (iP5) and one for everything else, like web, apps, nav, and such. One in my pocket, the other in the man bag. Though, that new Asus monster (the Padfone 2) looks really good, so I may jump ship from Samsung altogether.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2013, 12:12 AM

You use an iPhone for making calls and a Samsung for apps? That seems like the wrong way round entirely.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2013, 02:53 AM

The iPhone is a better phone for making and receiving calls, superior voice quality and perfect size, while Android allows more customization and can be tweaked for a better browsing and online experience. Ever since ICS came out, Android is just better in that capacity, plus the mini-tablet sized screen is a real benefit for those things.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2013, 03:07 AM

Counterpoint: the iPhone phone sucks a GIANT bag of dicks.

Sealobo
Mar 17, 2013, 04:21 AM

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2013, 04:37 AM

Cook was implying that Apple has huge potential for growth just by getting itself onto those carriers, which is true. But the more important question is, why haven’t they?
I already used up my penis quota for the day with the post before yours, so I'm going to have trouble phrasing this...

Have you ever noticed carriers, umm... spray their sticky goo all up inside the OS? Make sure you get some on the face too... oh yeah, baby... who's in charge?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2013, 04:38 AM

Hmm... that was easier than I thought. Maybe I should work less blue.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2013, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Counterpoint: the iPhone phone sucks a GIANT bag of dicks.
You're delusional, it's a very good phone. Also, you've been acting like an ass the last few days, at least more so than usual.
- Thomas Paine

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2013, 06:38 AM

Was there something specific you had in mind?

Otherwise, that statement accomplishes nothing other than provocation.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2013, 07:25 AM

Otherwise, that statement accomplishes nothing other than provocation.
It's meant to be informative, because you're usually more pleasant to talk with.
- Thomas Paine

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2013, 07:52 AM

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2013, 09:26 AM

Much as I hate to admit it, iPhones tend to get weaker signal strength than other phones and they still drop calls a lot.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2013, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
It's likely I'd get the Note 3 and pass on the SG4, but I carry two phones, one for phone use (iP5) and one for everything else, like web, apps, nav, and such. One in my pocket, the other in the man bag. Though, that new Asus monster (the Padfone 2) looks really good, so I may jump ship from Samsung altogether.
Get a Nexus 7 for the man bag. Great device. 7 inches is perfect for the 'everything' else.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2013, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
The iPhone is a better phone for making and receiving calls, superior voice quality and perfect size, while Android allows more customization and can be tweaked for a better browsing and online experience. Ever since ICS came out, Android is just better in that capacity, plus the mini-tablet sized screen is a real benefit for those things.

Have you tried the Nexus 7? I've got the 32GB data version. It's strapped to my notebook with a bandolier pen strap, fits perfectly. Because it's a Nexus, it's clean Android and nothing else, with updates pretty much delivered the day they are released. For the price, you can't go wrong.

I wanted a small go-anywhere tablet, so the decision was between this and the iPad Mini.

Back:

Front:

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2013, 11:27 AM

A notebook. How quaint.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2013, 11:33 AM

I miss Black Warrior pencils.

John F. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2013, 11:52 AM

It has a flexible screen, the viewing angle is excellent, and you can easily use it outdoors. Limited app ecosystem.
Dutifully performing dull little tasks.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2013, 08:47 PM

Meh, I like having two actual phones with me, not just a phone and tablet.

I do own a Nexus 7, btw, it's my favorite of the 7" Android tablets. Very well made.
- Thomas Paine

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2013, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by John F. Smith View Post

It has a flexible screen, the viewing angle is excellent, and you can easily use it outdoors. Limited app ecosystem.
And it comes with a gorgeous Retina Display, I can't see a pixel at all in that photo !!

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2013, 10:10 AM

I miss Black Warrior pencils.
Amazon.com: Palomino Blackwing 602 - 12 Count: Office Products

As close as it gets.

Forum Links
Forum Rules