Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple TV and two Macs on same wifi network, but streaming cuts out on one Mac

Apple TV and two Macs on same wifi network, but streaming cuts out on one Mac
funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2014, 05:00 PM

Hello!

I have am early 2011 15" MacBook Pro and a 2013 MacBook Air on the same wifi network, connected to a Comcast Xfinity router.

For some reason, the MBA has no troubles smoothly streaming system audio to the Apple TV with minimal hiccups. (I choose the audio output to be the AppleTV, rather than doing full screen mirroring or desktop extending on the Apple TV)

The MBP, on the other hand, hiccups while streaming to the AppleTV unpredictably. I've tried moving it to no avail.

The MBP over its lifetime was initially restored from a Time Machine backup from an old iBook, so I wonder if there's some legacy issues with that.

Any recommendations on how to improve AppleTV audio streaming? Anything you can think of to check that would be causing things to fail frequently on one Mac, but not the other?

Thanks for the help!

mooblie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2014, 10:50 AM

You sure it's not just that streaming more than one device SIMULTANEOUSLY is what you're seeing, when it stalls?
Martin in the Scottish Highlands

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2014, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by mooblie View Post
You sure it's not just that streaming more than one device SIMULTANEOUSLY is what you're seeing, when it stalls?
The Apple TV can only take one audio stream at a time, so... nope, not more than one device streaming.

Or do you mean I somehow have the audio out for both computers set to the AppleTV, and they are fighting each other and/or making lots of wireless traffic?

ibook_steve
Jan 20, 2014, 11:23 AM

Is it just audio or does video have a problem too?

If it was happening with both machines, I'd say it's time for a better router that what Comcast gives you. I'd still look into a separate router.

Barring that, try streaming video as well. And are you Airplaying from the computers to the AppleTV or are you using Home Sharing from AppleTV to access the computers?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules