Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Sherlock_useless_without_Google

Sherlock_useless_without_Google
Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2002, 04:24 PM

It's harsh, but the truth has to be said: Sherlock is useless without Google. Other search engines simply don't return that useful results.

What's the problem with Google? If they allow searching via a web browser, why don't they allow doing the same thing via Sherlock? They don't have ads on their site, so what's their business model anyway?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2002, 04:28 PM

I think they just sell their engine.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2002, 05:34 PM

Well anybody looking to 'widen' Sherlock 3's usefulness outside the US for themselves, by 'homebrewing' channels (for there own use) on there own Mac's is out of luck (unless they set up websharing). Looking at the recently publishedProgramming Topic: Sherlock Channels Sherlock 3 channels are Exclusively Internet enabled.
The likely hood of any UK based Non-Apple prompted channels existing(such as one for the exelent UK Digital TV Guide DigiGuide, they do a Win TVGuide app) is very low.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2002, 07:15 PM

They do have ads. They just aren't intrusive, which is how it should be. The ads are in the form of featured sites that get returned depending on what you search for. They are text only ie. they don't use banners.

Wesley

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2002, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by WJMoore:
They do have ads. They just aren't intrusive, which is how it should be. The ads are in the form of featured sites that get returned depending on what you search for. They are text only ie. they don't use banners.

Wesley
There are 'sort of' banners they appear at the very bottom of the Sherlock window, next to the words 'content provided by'

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2002, 02:25 AM

Google's image search is also more effective than the Lycos one rolled into Sherlock 3, in my experience. Too bad...

Jan Van Boghout
Aug 26, 2002, 02:38 AM

Originally posted by frawgz:
Google's image search is also more effective than the Lycos one rolled into Sherlock 3, in my experience. Too bad...
I agree, Google image search is vastly superior to what Sherlock has right now.
And they should use Google for "ordinary" internet searching too�

(s)macintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2002, 02:49 AM

I'd post this to Apple as feedback.

I use Google way, WAY too much for finding things not to have it built into Sherlock.

Ya hear that Watson programmer dude??

dru
Senior User
Aug 26, 2002, 03:59 AM

Originally posted by (s)macintosh:
I'd post this to Apple as feedback.

I use Google way, WAY too much for finding things not to have it built into Sherlock.

Ya hear that Watson programmer dude??
Raul's Plug-ins don't work with Sherlock in Jag? Try it! Someone?

http://www.teamdraw.com/raul/stuff/osx.html

Adds Google and a host of other search options to Sherlock II in 10.x; I don't yet have 10.2 so I can't test it.

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2002, 08:30 AM

Aren't Sherlock II and Sherlock 3 plugins totally different now? So I guess it will not work.

Just one example how bad Sherlock is: Try an image search for

Gerhard Schr�der

I Sherlock this yields no (zero!) results. In google image search 1,770!
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Jan Van Boghout
Aug 27, 2002, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
Aren't Sherlock II and Sherlock 3 plugins totally different now? So I guess it will not work.

Just one example how bad Sherlock is: Try an image search for

Gerhard Schr�der

I Sherlock this yields no (zero!) results. In google image search 1,770!
Hell, it's so lame that even "Homer Simpson" doesn't return any image results� sheesh

And the new plugins are entirely different, they're written with JavaScript (partly or entirely I don't know). Too bad Apple removed the Sherlock docs again. It almost seems like they don't want others to make new Sherlock plugins�

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2002, 11:36 AM

Dam! I knew I should have grabed them pages when I found the link, bet they where not up long enough for google to cash eather.

Forum Links
Forum Rules