Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > ProjectBuilder needs console stdin

ProjectBuilder needs console stdin
rpeskin
Jan 15, 2001, 02:32 PM

How do we communicate suggestions to Apple? ProjectBuilder needs to add stdin capability to its console (it has stdout). Simple tools testing that need both input (keyboard) and output now required leaving the PB environment and relinking objects so that they can run under the shell. While one could build applications for all this, it would be nice to have a complete simple tool testing capability totally within PB.

Dalgo
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2001, 10:41 PM

You can give Apple suggestions at:
http://developer.apple.com/contact/feedback.html

For bug reports, look at:
http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/index.html

See the Appkit release notes for feedback and bug reports on Appkit.

I doubt that Apple will include stdin capabilities to project builder. They seem to want to encourage programs with a GUI only, and adding that capability to project builder would only encourage people to make programs without one. You can always compile from the command line

Mniot
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2001, 04:04 PM

I'm not sure if I catch your meaning here... You can make a regular unix program (one using stdin, stdout, and stderr for example) by choosing "C++ Tool" from the new project options.

If you mean you want to be able to do stdin and stdout on your Cocoa gui programs, the debug console does read from the keyboard. Just set a breakpoint, do a debug run, and type away. The debugger seems to do a really poor job with Obj-C, but I assume they just haven't gotten around to working on that yet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules