Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The Official OS 3.0 Thread

The Official OS 3.0 Thread (Page 2)
I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jun 17, 2009, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
3.0 (7a341)
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Build is 7A341
Thanks!
Who'sDaMac?

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2009, 03:55 PM

COOL FEATURE:

The search function screen is activated with on push of the Home button. It is also found as a "home page" to the left of your regular home page. Just swipe the screen to the right and there's the search page!

sartor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2009, 04:29 PM

I don't know why there can't be some sort of window in iTunes, where we could create folders and drag the apps in them within itunes. Then during a sync, it would then modify the iphone/touch to reflect the folder changes etc... Allowing us to create folders and load appropriate apps in them...

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by sartor View Post
I don't know why there can't be some sort of window in iTunes, where we could create folders and drag the apps in them within itunes. Then during a sync, it would then modify the iphone/touch to reflect the folder changes etc... Allowing us to create folders and load appropriate apps in them...
Memory maybe?

I don't see why it is so difficult for people to group apps on pages together and make them act like folders.

Page one. Most used apps. Page two, my site update web links (work related), page three and four, games, page five, utility apps, page six, news, sports etc apps, page seven, the apps I wanna delete from apple but can't.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2009, 04:43 PM

cut, paste etc...a little getting used to, but...it works. undo, funny (shaking the ipod).
can finally sync notes! i have a ton in apple mail, now they're on my ipod touch (i refused to use this app on the touch until now, wanted sync with my mac).

HATE that i cannot remove the search window from calendar list, my main place to be on the touch.
waste of space, but...so it goes.

so far, stable (so far); speed seems same, maybe calendar is loading faster? and great to have spotlight...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2009, 05:45 PM

I hate to be a Negative Nancy, but things seem a little on the pokey side after the update. Even after a reboot, Safari launches take forever. Not too impressed with page load speeds at all. That automatic bookmark popup is quite grating at this point in history.

Calendar seems about the same, Camera loads instantly... I wish I could turn off the search tool (it reloads if you overswipe. gd that's annoying...
Upload/download speed seems about the same.
Well, at least it's not bricked.

more: 3d graphics are much faster, the new YouTube app is great.
Safari is a big ouch imo.
( Last edited by osiris; Jun 17, 2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Added more)
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2009, 06:03 PM

I was going to update, but now I'm a little leery of the time it takes to activate - one of my friends in southern Indiana said it's been more than an hour, and her phone is still waiting to activate. Anyone else seen this problem?

Apple's insistence on waiting to release the update until 10:00AM PDT was a poor move IMO - had they released it in the morning EDT, the people in that time zone would have been updated and done long before people on the West Coast were even awake - by doing it this way, everything is slowed down significantly more. I'm glad I torrented the update previous to release and updated iTunes on my PowerBook this morning - it was going to take 20 minutes just to get iTunes to even update on both of my home machines. Of course, updating over USB 1.1 is a *tad* slow...
( Last edited by shifuimam; Jun 17, 2009 at 06:10 PM. )
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jun 17, 2009, 07:41 PM

I'm a bit cautious too, as it took me an hour to finally get through to update a few apps. I decided to risk it, as a delay won't hurt me too bad--if I have to, I can take the sim out and drop it in my RAZR in a pinch.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2009, 07:48 PM

02 tried to screw me over with tethering, saying that my 3G PAYG iPhone could not support it. Reverted to a restore I made with a custom .ipcc in it to allow tethering. Works fine.

AT&T have showed their glory .. 02 aren't as bad but are catching up.

Nassifer
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2009, 08:12 PM

Hello all, I have a 1st Gen iPod Touch and want to know if someone knows if this is worth the 10.00 that apple is asking ?

Thanks

Abdi

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2009, 08:32 PM

Took a while to get it to go (timeouts) but it is currently backing up my Touch....

Rumor
Jun 17, 2009, 08:33 PM

Here is a good article from PC World.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2009, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nassifer View Post
Hello all, I have a 1st Gen iPod Touch and want to know if someone knows if this is worth the 10.00 that apple is asking ?

Thanks

Abdi
worth it? up to you...for me (also 1st gen touch), cut&paste alone was worth it, plus being able to sync notes with apple mail...great stuff. spotlight. etc... look at the apple link, then decide for yourself...

touch update
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2009, 08:48 PM

DAMMIT

my cover flow in my iphone is now doing it by artist. it's unbearable. how do I get it back to by album?
blah

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2009, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Anyone else using the developer pre-release having problems updating (says that 3.0 is the current release)?
3.0 GM is the current release. You don't need to update.

(Which is a good thing, considering how hammered Apple's servers seem to be.)

Nassifer
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2009, 09:24 PM

Hello there, I have another question does the update for iPod touch come with the compass feature that is on the iPhone update ?

Anyone know ?

Abdi

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2009, 09:32 PM

Hello there, I have another question does the update for iPod touch come with the compass feature that is on the iPhone update ?

Anyone know ?

Abdi
It is not part of the 3.0 update. It is for the iPhone G3 [s] only.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

Nassifer
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2009, 09:34 PM

Thanks, I really could have used that one app.

Abdi

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2009, 09:42 PM

I guess this sort of applies to 3.0 update:

Google now let's you sync up to 25 calendars with their Google Sync service. Before it was limited to only 5 calendars. I needed more calendars to sync OTA so I used a service called Nuevasync to obtain this before the 3.0 release. They limit the amount to 8. I have tested Google Sync on 3.0 and it works great.

I am very pleased with this little tidbit from Google regarding the 3.0 upgrade.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2009, 09:54 PM

also, anyone know the time limit on voice memo? i'm looking to record lectures...
blah

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2009, 11:05 PM

Can't wait for TomTom to release their app now.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2009, 12:10 AM

Everything seems to be working perfectly for me. I'm typing this on my computer, tethered to my iPhone, right now.

WSKCONDOR
Jun 18, 2009, 01:13 AM

After updating to 3.0, SOME Excel spreadsheets and powerpoint presentations will not be displayed by my iPhone 3g 16GB. I tried in both DATACASE and Air Sharing, and although those apps messages were different, they both basically said the file format was not recognized or was corrupted-the same files I had just been viewing prior to 3.0 update in both of those apps.
SOME sheets and ppts ARE still displaying. Doesn't correlate to file size as one ppt was 5.6 mb one was small, and the excels were 35k to 55k. has anyone seen this? I tried a hard shutdown and restart and that did not change the behavior.
This concerns me as to the readability of those file formats which was a big plus before.

Any ideas out there?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2009, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jolt21 View Post
also, anyone know the time limit on voice memo? i'm looking to record lectures...
As far as I can tell there is none. Record until you run out of space. Voice memos were meant for lecture recording

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2009, 01:24 AM

It's a bit odd to see everyone excited after about three months on 3.0 already. I've been waiting for this day solely to see all the exciting new apps taking advantage of the new APIs be unleashed. That's where the REAL action on 3.0 is going to happen

Foxdog175
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2009, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Can't wait for TomTom to release their app now.
I was excited when I saw it on stage last week, but I'm a little leary of it now. Gokivo was the first app of its kind and the developers are charging by the minute (99c per), 10 minutes ($3 per), and month ($10 per). While the app is only 99c, there's no way in hell I would ever pay a subscription (especially per minute) to use a gps nav device. However, native units sell for ~$350, but that includes more than just the software. I can see TomTom charging a hefty amount for the app, but if they charge a subscription-based service, count me out - I'll stick to my Garmin.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2009, 03:31 AM

Thanks, I really could have used that one app.

Abdi
Well, that app actually needs a compass - which neither the iPod touch nor the previous-generation iPhones have.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2009, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Foxdog175 View Post
I was excited when I saw it on stage last week, but I'm a little leary of it now. Gokivo was the first app of its kind and the developers are charging by the minute (99c per), 10 minutes ($3 per), and month ($10 per). While the app is only 99c, there's no way in hell I would ever pay a subscription (especially per minute) to use a gps nav device. However, native units sell for ~$350, but that includes more than just the software. I can see TomTom charging a hefty amount for the app, but if they charge a subscription-based service, count me out - I'll stick to my Garmin.
To my knowledge, TomTom has never followed a subscription model for their navigation software.

They're a reputable company.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2009, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jolt21 View Post
DAMMIT

my cover flow in my iphone is now doing it by artist. it's unbearable. how do I get it back to by album?
can anyone help me out with this?
blah

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Foxdog175 View Post
And Gokivo is getting blistered in the app reviews because of this. I'm guessing TomTom will pay attention to how Gokivo fares since they are the first app in this category.

michael_l
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2009, 09:14 AM

Is anyone else noticing that WiFi sensitivity seems to have gotten worse after updating to 3.0? Ever since the update my iPhone no longer sees one of the WiFi networks in my building, which it never had trouble with before.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2009, 01:18 PM

Ok what ever happened to the battery as a percentage that was in the dev releases? I can't find it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2009, 01:20 PM

And another thing. I'm hoping that whoever comes out with a GPS app the thing is smart enough to not go into screen-lock after a few minutes. Google maps is useless to use because of this.

philm
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2009, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by michael_l View Post
Is anyone else noticing that WiFi sensitivity seems to have gotten worse after updating to 3.0? Ever since the update my iPhone no longer sees one of the WiFi networks in my building, which it never had trouble with before.
Yes, I've noticed this. Quite an obvious reduction in sensitivity. My bed was close to the limit of range for my Time Machine router (usually between one and two 'fans' on the wireless icon). Now - nothing.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2009, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
And another thing. I'm hoping that whoever comes out with a GPS app the thing is smart enough to not go into screen-lock after a few minutes. Google maps is useless to use because of this.
I use my iPhone all the time while driving - as a GPS that is. As long as you've pushed the "where am I" button in the bottom left corner the iPhone will stay awake in it's cradle and the map will scroll smoothly.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2009, 07:53 PM

Ok what ever happened to the battery as a percentage that was in the dev releases? I can't find it.
Battery as percentage was never in the dev releases. It's a feature for the 3GS only.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2009, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Battery as percentage was never in the dev releases. It's a feature for the 3GS only.
LOL! Seriously, displaying a percentage on the screen is a feature you only get with new hardware? Crazy.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2009, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
It's a bit odd to see everyone excited after about three months on 3.0 already. I've been waiting for this day solely to see all the exciting new apps taking advantage of the new APIs be unleashed. That's where the REAL action on 3.0 is going to happen
Same here. Been running 3.0 for awhile now.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2009, 01:14 PM

Definitely more responsive on my 1G Touch. Mail is still all but useless, though.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2009, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
Definitely more responsive on my 1G Touch. Mail is still all but useless, though.
No MMS on 1G too.... bit strange!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Rumor
Jun 19, 2009, 06:38 PM

MMS is supposed to be rolled out from AT&T later this summer.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2009, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
MMS is supposed to be rolled out from AT&T later this summer.
Nothing todo with provider.... the function is locked out on the 1G!!!

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2009, 08:06 PM

I guess the Mail app in OS 3.0 can support Hotmail. I just found that out a few hours ago.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2009, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
Nothing todo with provider.... the function is locked out on the 1G!!!
the 1G doesn't have the necessary equipment to receive/send mms

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2009, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
the 1G doesn't have the necessary equipment to receive/send mms
Ya only cheapo phones from 2001 has that fancy stuff in it.

Rumor
Jun 20, 2009, 04:51 AM

Here is another good article showing some of the features of 3.0.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2009, 02:20 PM

Ya only cheapo phones from 2001 has that fancy stuff in it.
Exactly... is BS! Theyve done it to encourage sales.. thats it!

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2009, 02:45 PM

3.0 is so good. like it. but what's up with the lack of Push Notifications Apps out there?

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2009, 03:06 PM

Anyone else having trouble with the iPod app lagging severely? It will take like 15 seconds to respond to finger taps sometimes.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2009, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by maxintosh View Post
Anyone else having trouble with the iPod app lagging severely? It will take like 15 seconds to respond to finger taps sometimes.
Not experiencing this. Any low memory issues? Try switching to another mode (ie. not artists), quitting and re-opening to see if that helps. It could be trying to load so many different artists.

Originally Posted by zerock View Post
3.0 is so good. like it. but what's up with the lack of Push Notifications Apps out there?
I know that the likes of BeejiveIM have already submitted updates. The App Store queue is probably jammed with the amount of apps trying to give users the 3.0 experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules