Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > No more checking Hotmail via mail clients for free

No more checking Hotmail via mail clients for free
gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2004, 11:23 AM

Anyone else encounter this? You now have to upgrade to a premium account in order to check your hotmail account via Entourage or Mail (httpmail). There goes my last reason to use Hotmail...

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2004, 11:27 AM

Hotmail is still around?

callefoss
Nov 18, 2004, 11:34 AM

din't notice yet, but I it doesn't really matter for me because my hotmail account is for spam only these days.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 11:37 AM

Still works with Entourage V.x.

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2004, 12:28 PM

I just upgraded my Office X to Office Mac 2004 and that was my first surprise. I feel like I paid more to lose more features, this sux!

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
Still works with Entourage V.x.
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's
----------------------------------------------------------

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 04:05 PM

need GMail? Email me...
( Last edited by Sharky K.; Nov 18, 2004 at 04:11 PM. )

Visnaut
Senior User
Nov 18, 2004, 06:04 PM

They're the ones controlling the protocols and the programs that access them, and they still can't get their **** together. So hey, they remove a feature that factored in to at least some of their customers' buying decisions. Brilliant.

If it's the fact that the protocol is being reverse-engineered and used in spamming programs, they always have the option to strengthen security, such as requiring Outlook/Entourage to send a valid Office serial number for the protocol to allow access. And they could limit the amount of email you can send per day. Yet they didn't choose to do so, because at the end of the day, Microsoft still wins through added banner ad revenue.

I shed myself of hotmail dependency a long time ago, and I'm glad I did. It's so much easier to use an email address tied to your own domain name and never have to worry about free email companies shifting priorities on you, or having to switch internet providers.

But for those that I know and taught how to use this feature, it's a kick in the nuts.

gametime10  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2004, 12:47 PM

Hmm... It seems to be working again. I guess the ability to check gmail via POP has changed Microsoft's mind...

Forum Links
Forum Rules