Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther First Impressions

Panther First Impressions (Page 3)
conny
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 01:28 AM

Can you select to hide the new left pane in the Finder?
It sounds like you can still put stuff in the toolbar, does this mean that you can hide the left pane and it will work the same way as the Finder works today?

GaelDesign
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 01:32 AM

My #1 question is:

If you have mounted Samba drives (or other Mac drives, but Samba's worse) and you shut down the remote machine, do you still get a spinning beachball for the next several minutes if you try to launch any new programs?

My current Jaguar machine becomes useless any time a Windows/Linux network machine is switched off, and it's driving me nuts!

Thanks!

Jared
President and Art Director of GaelDesign
Member of Distant Oaks - Celtic and Early Music Ensemble

Brass
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 01:33 AM

Someone said that FTP from the Finder is improved.

Does this mean that you can write to FTP mounted "volumes" in the Finder? (they are read-only in Jaguar).

Francisco_G
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2003, 01:38 AM

It seems as if Apple listened to their customers and fixed all the major issues with Jaguar. They just decided to not fix them immediately but rather hold them until Panther. To give people a reason to switch.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 01:47 AM

New FTP icon

nagromme
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 01:49 AM

Wow, thanks for all the info!

My Qs:

1. You can sort by date-modified in Save dialogs? Cool!--BUT can you do the same in Finder Column views?

2. Is there a delay still when you first click-hold on a Dock folder? Or are the contents pre-cached and ready for instant access? How quick does a long Dock-folder menu open comapred to Jag?

3. Can you "Minimize-in-Place" like in late Jaguar betas? Can you drag a minimized window out of and into the Dock?

4. Can you drop a file into a minimized/Docked Finder window?

5. Any new handling of menus too long to display? Or still the awkward little auto-scroll arrows at top and bottom?

I'll stop now
nagromme

nbnz
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 01:49 AM

Does Mail.app still send Resource files along with attachments?
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 01:50 AM

Any opengl performance changes such as games?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 01:56 AM

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2003, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by nbnz:
Ewwww, very good question....that is one of my biggest pet peeves in Jaguar...anybody know??!!!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
New Command + Tab swither
What performs poorly?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
What performs poorly?
Someone was discussing something in the chat...but believe me, its definitely not Panther!

nagromme
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 02:05 AM

If others can fax from your modem over the network... that got me wondering about faxing and AirPort:

1. Can you fax from your laptop wirelessly, via an AirPort base station connected to a phone jack?

2. Can you do that while the AirPort is ALSO on the 'net via Ethernet?

3. Can you receive faxes via AirPort?

If I could have broadband via AirPort, yet at the same time use it as my fax machine wirelessly, I'd be in heaven. Connect both Ethernet AND phone and forget about it! (I need an AirPort laptop bad.)

Thanks again! (Nice super-simple aqua desktop by the way--is that from Panther?)
nagromme

:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 02:42 AM

This question has been posted before, but no-one has answered it yet:

Do you get spring loaded folders/menus, when you drag an item onto a dock folder???

please, let it be so!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 03:05 AM

Someone was discussing something in the chat...but believe me, its definitely not Panther!
praise the lordy!

trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by kelix:
Ok all... just installed DP1 of Panther from WWDC. All i can say is WOW!!!
This mother flies at unbelieveable speeds... im running a G4 700 with 384Mb Ram and this is unbelieveable!

Please tell me what youd like to know as im about to write a large first impressions piece..
Not happy tho! Itunes and all the other iLife apps were removed during installation!
Hi Kelix. Tehdely here.

I just installed Panther myself and I am nothing short of blown away. The number of improvements Apple has managed to throw in was way beyond my expectations. I haven't found a corner of the OS that hasn't changed in some useful way for the better.
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 04:01 AM

New Command + Tab swither
I really wish they included a quick launch with that appearence. Like a key or "gesture" that would fills the screen with your faves.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by trusted_content:
Hi Kelix. Tehdely here.

I just installed Panther myself and I am nothing short of blown away. The number of improvements Apple has managed to throw in was way beyond my expectations. I haven't found a corner of the OS that hasn't changed in some useful way for the better.
The Dock?

Anything new with the Dock already?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2003, 04:55 AM

Oh man, I can't wait for my backup to finish so I can install it

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 05:23 AM

don't forget to take some screenies of the save dialog, and finder prefs

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 05:24 AM

to get things straight...
does the new finder still have toolbaricons
(home, applications, etc)
or is that functionality moved to the places
sidebar?

k2director
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 05:30 AM

My #1 question is:

If you have mounted Samba drives (or other Mac drives, but Samba's worse) and you shut down the remote machine, do you still get a spinning beachball for the next several minutes if you try to launch any new programs?
That's my question too. Can't believe 10.2.6 still messes up when a network volume is turned off. Any clarification much appreciated!

Also, is Mail noticeably faster? I'm specifically interested in scrolling and how quick a selected message displays in the preview pane (sometimes the current version hesitates a bit before displaying a message's content).

kelix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 05:44 AM

K2... both issues have been looked and fixed...
FTP flies.. connecting to a net HD is fasta nd disconencts rapidly an das for mail... BLINDINGLY FAST!

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 05:49 AM

My Qs -

1 - Is the Dock Spring-loaded (can you drag into subfolders in the dock?)

2 - Can you get the "Services" menu From the Contextual or Action Menu?

3 - Is there anywhere in the System Prefs where you can set your preferred handler for different Internet Protocols? - i.e. can you set your preferred FTP client - so that clicking FTP links in Safari does not use the Finder's FTP.

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 05:50 AM

Originally posted by kelix:
K2... both issues have been looked and fixed...
FTP flies.. connecting to a net HD is fasta nd disconencts rapidly an das for mail... BLINDINGLY FAST!
Wait... just for clarification: Are you saying that there is finally FTP in the finder that WORKS...? Can I connect and WRITE to FTP servers...?

I have been waiting & waiting. I mean, I use and like Transmit... but I'd love for it to be built-in.

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 05:57 AM

On a similar note... it IS like Apple has been listening. They added SO MUCH that I've been asking about and giving feedback for:

- Faxing (I hate using FaxSfT)
- Font Management (Suitcase grinds me to a hault)
- File/Folder encryption (user encryption)
- Fast User Switching
- FTP (I think... not confirmed)

I just can't WAIT for this to be available to the masses. And, just as I predicted, I'll bet by the time Panther is released, and is loaded on any of the NEW G5 machines... my guess is that system responsiveness is gonna FEEL just like OS9... and moving-forward, it will only get better.

I'm gonna start saving my pennies now for a new G5.

trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 06:01 AM

The dock does not appear to be spring-loaded.

I had a slight scare earlier when I updated IE and found that it had set itself as my default browser without my input (sneaky, sneaky). Looking around in System Preferences I realized that there no longer is an "Internet" preference pane and I couldn't find any place to switch my default browser. Grepping the defaults database for anything web-related didn't help, either. I ended up having to delete not only the copy of IE on my Panther drive, but the copy on every other drive as well... it was dead-set on launching IE whenever I clicked on a link. Thankfully it's back to Safari now, and I don't really see much of a problem with not having IE anywhere .

Also, as some others may have already indicated, Panther comes with DarwinPorts. I've already built gaim, irssi, links, and a few command-line tools (i'm posting this with the X11 version of links right now). Though I'm used to fink and have never used dports before, I'm beginning to really appreciate the architecture and way of doing things; being able to pass flags to packages is a feature I longed for with fink and finally have.

I think Panther will be one of Apple's greatest coups. It's simply outstanding. And the fact that they have managed to make an OS upgrade that is considerably faster than the previous version is proof of just how much they "think different" from the Windows world.
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 06:06 AM

Originally posted by nbnz:
Anyone knows this ? Quite important IMHO.

kelix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 06:29 AM

Powaqqatsi:
it doesnt seem to be

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 06:32 AM

A couple of 'nifty' things I noticed.

Scrolling is smoothed now (ex, press option down, the page smoothly scrolls down a page.)

Sheets move a lot faster now.

System prefs panes not only size change, but cross fade into each other.

When you shut down, your desktop is kinda filtered blue, then shuts down (instead of the whirly black circle).

Some unmentioned new features:

Keyboard pref pane now lets you set your own keyboard shortcuts for apps.

Desktop/Screensaver pref pane is MUCH improved. The desktop pane has a grid of picture previews now, instead of just a column, and the screensaver has a much larger preview.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by trusted_content:
The dock does not appear to be spring-loaded.

I had a slight scare earlier when I updated IE and found that it had set itself as my default browser without my input (sneaky, sneaky). Looking around in System Preferences I realized that there no longer is an "Internet" preference pane and I couldn't find any place to switch my default browser. Grepping the defaults database for anything web-related didn't help, either. I ended up having to delete not only the copy of IE on my Panther drive, but the copy on every other drive as well... it was dead-set on launching IE whenever I clicked on a link. Thankfully it's back to Safari now, and I don't really see much of a problem with not having IE anywhere .
Damn - looks like Spring-loaded dock is never going to happen.

Internet Protocol prefs are handled in LaunchServices.

If there is no way of controlling this - it would be very annoying indeed.

nagromme
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 07:05 AM

In Jaguar, to choose your default browser, just go to System Preferences > Internet > Web. In Panther, can't you do the same within Network?
nagromme

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by nagromme:
In Jaguar, to choose your default browser, just go to System Preferences > Internet > Web. In Panther, can't you do the same within Network?
Panther does not have an 'Interent' prefpane.

The Internet prefpane only allows setting of Web and Mail prefs - I'm interested in setting any of the protocols (see my sig)

Lew
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 07:22 AM

Can't you set the default browser from Safari's preferences?

JLL
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Damn - looks like Spring-loaded dock is never going to happen.
I don't think that Panther DP1 has an updated dock at all. Perhaps it will come later.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2003, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by GFive:
Can't you set the default browser from Safari's preferences?
Right, even if Panther doesn't have a Internet system pref just fire up Safari and check its prefs. The default browser setting is mirrored there (at least under 10.2.6 it is).

Is that gone as well under Panther?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2003, 07:54 AM

And could somebody please, please finally post some shots of the open/save dialogs showing off design, features, sorting possibilities, etc. Thanks!

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 08:02 AM

a few glithces I found:

Preview.app doesn't work for me, builds the thumbnails (fast!) but the main window stays blank (grey)
Cannot set balance on my SoundSticks from the control panel
Volume buttons do not work (yet)
Volume slider in control panel doesn't work either
Can adjust volume from AudioMIDIConfig.app but only for channel 2, either it's mono or channel 1 is at a fix rate

cheers.

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 08:08 AM

How about this one...

Could some kind person give this a try?

1 - Switch between two or more users (I can't wait for this feature btw) and then have something running and in an unsaved state text doc or anything
2 - Switch to the other user and Install something that requires a restart (what warnings do you get if any)
3 - At the time the system restarts what happens?

Just wondering if the system does something that I'd just go nuts for... 'save state' shutdown / restart. You know, memory would get saved on shutdown and then restored on reboot.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't but I just had to ask...

Dave

SYN
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 08:12 AM

So, do we have confirmation that mounted Samba shares can no longer fubar the whole OS?

Another thing i'd like to know, if you do a show info on an item being downloaded or transfered, does the file size update live? Or is it static as in Jaguar?

Thanks
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 08:28 AM

If someone wants to send me a link to a samba share I can tell you how it works. I don't have multiple users set up, but later on tonight I can check the restart thing...

Anyone want any screenshots of something specific?

bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 08:32 AM

i just cant believe it. panther flys on my pidly 300Mhz G3. it almost feels like im in OS 9 for gods sake. im am pleasantly baffled...

looks like i will finally be able to switch to X by years end. wow. applications just pop up when i launch them. menus respond as soon as i click. and things can only get better in the next few months while apple tunes and refines it even more.

the only little problem is the window resizing...but i guess you cant ask too much from G3. hey apple, have an option to turn off live resizing, sorta like itunes does it...

wow...

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by jokell82:
If someone wants to send me a link to a samba share I can tell you how it works. I don't have multiple users set up, but later on tonight I can check the restart thing...

That would be great... looking forward to the results of the multi-user test...

As for screenshots...

How about the VPN setup / activation (system-pref)

Also are printers still added via the 'Print Center App' or via the system-pref panel?

Thanks

Dave

TC
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 08:35 AM

On a B&W G3 with only 128MB it feels pretty good.

Check out Image Capture you can now share capture devices even over the internet!

P.S. Was it a bad move sending the registration to Apple with my correct details?
Nothing to see, move along.

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by jokell82:

yes! save dialogs please!
Finder prefs (or Finder in general) and FontBook wouldn't go astray either

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 08:36 AM

Printers are still added via the print center. I'm not sure where the VPN preference is, though...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2003, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by Nathan Adams:
yes! save dialogs please!
Finder prefs (or Finder in general) and FontBook wouldn't go astray either
Save dialog shots are in my thread a long with a crapload of others.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 08:53 AM

FontBook:

Finder Prefs:

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 08:59 AM

Save Dialogs:

bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by TC:
On a B&W G3 with only 128MB it feels pretty good.

Check out Image Capture you can now share capture devices even over the internet!

P.S. Was it a bad move sending the registration to Apple with my correct details?
luckily i have a gig of ram. my only hickup i had was with my ati nexus ga that i use for my second monitor. at the time of installation, i didnt have my second monitor, and upon booting, it looked as if it was hanging or trying to display everything on the nexus instead of the rage 128. so i yanked the card and everything was fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules