Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Good mouse for UNREAL Tournament

Good mouse for UNREAL Tournament
RiSE
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2003, 04:00 AM

ok so is there one mouse for macs that better then the rest, esp for playing online games like unreal? I

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2003, 04:43 AM

I'll tell ya this, don't use an Apple mouse just because they have one button.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2003, 06:04 AM

see if you can find a razor boomslang around somewhere

www.razerzone.com

-- james

a2daj
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 06:08 AM

Just about any USB mouse that works on a PC will work on a Mac. If you get a standard 'two' button mouse with scroll wheel (the scroll wheel is actually usually the third button on a 'two' button mouse) OS X gets basic functionality for left and right clicking along with scroll wheel support in most applications.

I usually get mice with more buttons. My current mouse is a Logitech Mx700. It's a cordless optically mouse with a recharce station. It has seven buttons plus the scroll wheel (so really it has 8 buttons). Logitech has OS 9 and OS X drivers to support the mouse but IMO they suck. So I use a shareware USB mouse driver called USBOverdrive. It allows one to create custom controls for various mice, gamepads, and joysticks. So with my 8 button mouse, I can assign the extra buttons as keyboard short cuts. Some games have the ability to program all the buttons internally while other games may only support up to button 2 or 3 and require me to assign keyboard shortcuts to buttons with USBOD. USBOD also allows more control over the mouse speed. For whatever reason, mouse control is rather inconsistant in OS X in a number of various games. Using USBOD and the games internal mouse settings can usually give me enough control to fine tune movement. This might be helpful to those who may only have 2 button mice but need a faster mouse movement.

IamBob
Senior User
Aug 24, 2003, 11:17 AM

Requirements call for Windows but this looks like it would be a neat addition to my setup.

I use an iOptiJr. for a mouse. But, I also liked Apple's puck mouse (as far as single-button mice go).

xyber233
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 12:44 PM

I really like the Logitech MX series. I have an MX500 and it's the best mouse I have ever used.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 11:24 PM

Microsoft IntelliMouse. Say what you want about MS, but the mouse is great. You can pick them up as low as $12 if you look around.

Slaveway
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2003, 05:50 PM

I use the Kensington Turbo Mouse.
Trackball and four buttons.
Works great for me.
I just wish the OSX version of Unreal would recognize the fourth button

a2daj
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2003, 07:10 PM

I know. I ended up using my driver software to assign my extra mouse buttons to keyboard commands so I can use them.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 01:52 AM

I use an old USB 2-button scroll-wheel optical blue Logitech mouse from like 1998. Still works like a charm. I think I'll probably use it until it completely stops functioning.

Any 2-button USB mouse will be fine. I reccommend optical (greater precision) and don't reccommend wireless (damn things are HEAVY, at least compared to my mouse, which sucks for gaming).
Be happy.

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by xyber233:
I really like the Logitech MX series. I have an MX500 and it's the best mouse I have ever used.
I definitely suggest the MX500. The 700 is wireless and I'm wary of the potential lag it might have. Anyways, the MX500 is great.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 07:32 AM

If you want a gamers mouse buy a Boomslang, I have one and IMHO it has no peers.

It tracks better and is just amazing. It is also symmetrical and is good for lefty's.

Cheers Edd

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2003, 12:39 PM

I kick all my friends' asses with just the old hockey puck mouse and the MacAlly plastic shield thingy that goes over it. Command key for the 2nd trigger, no problem.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Johnny_B
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2003, 02:07 PM

I bought myself a new Logitech mouse, but no� The new ones sucks I think. They are to much pc like, and I couldn't get it to work with USB Overdrive because I needed the Logitech drivers to make the wireless keyboard work, the mouse did't have wires either. I gave the whole stuff to my school. And went back to my Apple Pro Keyboard that shipped with the machine, and my old Logitech Optical Blue, the best mouse ever you ask me.

If you are lucky, you could maybe find the Pro version or what it was named. It had two optical readers, for maximum performance. I use my Logitech now with the Logitech drivers, and I enjoy it VERY much. Strange that the new mouse sucked so hard. It was no acceleration, and it wasn't as slick as this one.
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core, Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

a2daj
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 06:27 PM

Which new Logitech mouse? They have several mice and a new set (Click) was just released last month. Are you talking about those? How are they too PC like? They're mice.
My Mx700 is excellent. Logitech's drivers suck. Their mice are great. It sucks that they combined the keyboard and mouse drivers so you can't use separate mouse drivers. Although there might be away to disable the mouse portion of the drivers so USB Overdrive can be used. Global mouse settings suck. Per app mouse settings rule. Logitech's OS 9 drivers had per app mouse settings. They really need to get their OS X drivers up to snuff.

CaptKevMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2003, 08:11 PM

I have used a Kensington Mouse-In-A-Box Pro Optical and an Optical Elite (both 5-button scroll mice), and they've worked great for most games, including UT. The Kensington software is a little wonky in OS X, but otherwise, they're awesome.

I'll second the nomination for the Logitech series, though...a lot of my Mac gaming buds really like those (and the M$ mice).
CaptKevMan
Founder & Publisher
The Macopolis Network

Forum Links
Forum Rules