Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 24 months to pay on Notebooks at Bestbuy...

24 months to pay on Notebooks at Bestbuy...
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2003, 07:33 PM

If you are in the market for a powerbook, see if your local Best Buy carries Apple Powerbooks and see if you can get it with 24 months to pay (Apple MIGHT be excluded).

Today (Sunday) and tomorrow only.

Post here if you were able to take advantage of this offer or not.

(Moderator: You can move this to the Marketplace if that's where it should be).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2003, 02:27 AM

24 months to pay off a laptop? Is this no payments for 24 months? What are the specifics of the deal on notebooks in general?

Josh

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2003, 09:08 AM

Same as cash, probably minimum payments of like $20, if you don't pay it off in 24 months, you get hit with ALL back interest.

I usually take my total spent, divide by 23, and make those payments so it is at zero when the promotion period ends.

Darksider
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2003, 09:16 AM

When did this happen? I have yet to see an apple product at Best Buy.

beachmark
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2003, 12:10 PM

How about saving before buying. In that way you even get interest whilst looking forward to your new Powerbook. And if that is not even: by the time you have enough money to buy you can buy the latest version and probably at a price far lower than the current one.

In the end you have no debt and the latest Apple Powerbook
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

xyber233
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Darksider:
When did this happen? I have yet to see an apple product at Best Buy.
My Best Buy has an Apple section complete with hardware and some software.

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by beachmark:
How about saving before buying. In that way you even get interest whilst looking forward to your new Powerbook. And if that is not even: by the time you have enough money to buy you can buy the latest version and probably at a price far lower than the current one.

In the end you have no debt and the latest Apple Powerbook
Saving before buy is the other way, but instead of having no powerbook for two years (or whatever) you have it now and pay later.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2003, 01:32 PM

I have made a good habit in life to not use credit.

BUT remeber that this is America and we redifined the "life of credit" way of life.

Many theorist believe one of the things that makes America so succesful is the way we use credit.

It creates jobs, and gives people a way to afford things the would not normially be able to (paying cash for a house for isntance)

So I defiantly agree with you about paying cash, but I bet at least half of computer buyers use some form of credit to buy a computer, even if its just using a credit card to get a little more time to pay it off.

slider
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by forcelite:
I have made a good habit in life to not use credit.

BUT remeber that this is America and we redifined the "life of credit" way of life.

Many theorist believe one of the things that makes America so succesful is the way we use credit.

It creates jobs, and gives people a way to afford things the would not normially be able to (paying cash for a house for isntance)

So I defiantly agree with you about paying cash, but I bet at least half of computer buyers use some form of credit to buy a computer, even if its just using a credit card to get a little more time to pay it off.
I'd say you're way off with the "at least half comment", far more computer buyers in the US use credit. I wish I could say I was not one of them, but I am. My sister has the best of both worlds, she uses credit and takes advantage of offers like "cash back", "GM point", and "airmiles" then pays the balance in full at the end of the month.

Darksider
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2003, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by xyber233:
My Best Buy has an Apple section complete with hardware and some software.
Wow must be in certain stores. I was there last week..

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2003, 04:48 PM

there are many benfits of credit. Far from the world of revolving debt is the well-known time/value of money.

Put simply, because of inflation and other forms of interest-bearing accounts, todays money becomes worth less over time. $100 today is worth more than $100 next year. An the opposite is also true: $100 paid next year is actually worth less if received today.

Bonds are a perfect example. You pay $50 for a $100 bond today. In 7 or 11 or whatever years, it's worth $100.

So ZERO interest for 24 months is a good idea. While your computer may become obsolete in two years, you won't actually have to pay as much for it if you paid cash today.

Anyone who thinks credit is BAD is a fool. Anyone who pays interest on credit is also a fool.

By the way, debit cards are far less protective of your cash than credit. Just peruse the forums for the "Someone stole my debit account money" threads.

But this is OFF TOPIC. Did anyone buy a powerbook at Best Buy?

Forum Links
Forum Rules