Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Hint: Instantly browse your library

Hint: Instantly browse your library
LazarusLong
May 31, 2008, 02:48 PM

Here's a nice trick:

Do a new Spotlight search using Command-F.

Make the criteria: Kind is Delicious Library 2 (you have to select Other first)

Save the search, and name it "My Library" or something like that and check "Add to sidebar".

You have a nice Finder sidebar folder, switch to coverflow view and enjoy!

Zoe Smith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2008, 05:02 AM

Thanks for the tip, looks like a great way to search the library without needing it open

davidg14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2008, 07:35 AM

nice, thank you

illitrate
Jun 1, 2008, 08:40 AM

that is awesome
that's made my day :-)
brilliant that the QuickLook shows the synopsis too.

cchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2008, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the tip!
Am I missing something or do all the book titles look something like this:

B3E21CDC-3146-4533-9E47-96BCCBEDB327.delicious2book

I've got several thousand of those and they seem to be randomly assigned by DL2 when a book is created. Is there any way to search the saved search (i.e., search for titles or series)?

By the way, this tip also works for DL1 except cover flow doesn't show the covers, but you can see them in Quick Look.
You can be honorable or you can make money.
--slogan of The Delicious Generation

illitrate
Jun 1, 2008, 11:29 AM

as far as i can see that is just the way that Delicious Library names the files
it's the same for movies as well
but it should affect you using the search, because the name in the search results is the correct name for the book/movie isn't it?
in the screenshot below you can see i've searched for the authors name, within the saved search, and it's found all the books and is displaying their titles in the Name column - but if the file path bar at the bottom, it shows the file's actual name is that unique id string

cchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2008, 02:51 PM

Thanks for your reply! Evidently DL2 isn't renaming my DL1 library items, so they're not getting understandable names. But DL2 won't import my entire DL1 library without crashing, so there's probably some final processing that's not getting done.
You can be honorable or you can make money.
--slogan of The Delicious Generation

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2008, 05:58 PM

Hey, look, DL2 implemented a feature available in the Pedias since at least October:

Bruji News � Blog Archive � Quick Look, Cover Flow and Smart Folders

stateless
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2008, 08:55 PM

Great tip, thanks.

When I look at my search results though, I have a ton of items I did not enter into DL2. These include what seems to be hardware items (lots of Apple computers, iPods, etc) as well as games, BluRay DVDs and books.

Can I safely delete these? Does anyone know why they're there?

Thanks.

illitrate
Jun 2, 2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by -LD View Post
Hey, look, DL2 implemented a feature available in the Pedias since at least October:Bruji News � Blog Archive � Quick Look, Cover Flow and Smart Folders
that's very interesting - thanks for letting us know
when DVD-, Book- and Game- become a single "pedia" application and it doesn't take 3 whole minutes to scan a barcode via the iSight and _still_ get the numbers wrong and require manually correcting them, please be sure to let us know again as then it might actually be useful information

MDNZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by stateless View Post
When I look at my search results though, I have a ton of items I did not enter into DL2. These include what seems to be hardware items (lots of Apple computers, iPods, etc) as well as games, BluRay DVDs and books.

Can I safely delete these? Does anyone know why they're there?
This may be the contents of the sample library? Are there plenty of Lemurs in there too?
Show in finder, and if all in separate location from your other items, you probably are pretty safe to remove.

ps - LazarusLong, great tip. Thanks again

KTM525
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2008, 09:44 AM

cool tip! very nice.....

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by illitrate View Post
that's very interesting - thanks for letting us know
when DVD-, Book- and Game- become a single "pedia" application and it doesn't take 3 whole minutes to scan a barcode via the iSight and _still_ get the numbers wrong and require manually correcting them, please be sure to let us know again as then it might actually be useful information
There's a reason they aren't a single application. It's a design choice, just like putting the info pane on the bottom instead of the right making it entirely unreadable in DL2.

I have a new MBP and with the latest release have very few problems with iSight. Out of 460+ DVDs only 2 couldn't find the UPC online. I've never had to manually correct a UPC.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 10:27 AM

Nice tip, showing nicely the capabilities of OS X 10.5.

However, for me, it's not very useful. I don't see how using the Finder is much faster and better to navigate than using DL itself.
Especially since I like my library sorted by Call Numbers, so I know the books are grouped in meaningful clusters. I don't think the Finder will show it sorted that way.

-t

MDNZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2008, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
However, for me, it's not very useful. I don't see how using the Finder is much faster and better to navigate than using DL itself.
I think you answered the question yourself below.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Would be nice though if the search worked on custom fields as well. Did anyone try this ?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by MDNZ View Post
I think you answered the question yourself below.
No, I didn't. What are you doing here, taking my quotes from two DIFFERENT threads and grouping them together, in total disregard of the context.

I meant the SEARCH WITHIN DL2.

I'm not gonna search in the Finder. I don't see the point of having a library app that would NOT be used to do the searching and viewing of the contained items.
If DL can't do it, then I'm not even gonna bother to create my library with it, resorting to the Finder for day to day operations.

-t

MDNZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2008, 06:00 PM

When you use spotlight for everything else in OS X, it is a huge strength that you can use Spotlight to search for ANY detail from your library.
It's like asking why didn't Wil build cover flow in his library when it is in OS X.

In the other thread you wanted to search on item details, and sure the main search in DL does not provide it, however there are ways to address your requirement, Spotlight and smart shelves. Might not be ideal for the way you wish to use it, but it is available.

The new architecture of DL2 and integration with OS X is a huge plus (scripting, spotlight, quicklook, core data .... )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by MDNZ View Post
In the other thread you wanted to search on item details, and sure the main search in DL does not provide it, however there are ways to address your requirement, Spotlight and smart shelves. Might not be ideal for the way you wish to use it, but it is available.

The new architecture of DL2 and integration with OS X is a huge plus (scripting, spotlight, quicklook, core data .... )
While I agree with the last sentence, I think it's absolutely ludicrous that I would have to switch to the Finder to use DL2 to it's full potential.

That's just plain effing stupid.

-t

illitrate
Jun 4, 2008, 02:07 AM

to me the finder ability is a time saving thing
i don't necessarily want to boot up the DL2 application just to check to see i already own a dvd before i order it off amazon or play.com
so a quick spotlight search will tell me that straight away

i'll use the application for scanning in all the new dvds and books i buy, and if it's open, i'll search for a title using the app, but don't have DL2 running all the time, so if it's not there, it's nice that i can use Spotlight to very quickly tell me if i'm about to buy something i already own.

hmelman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2008, 08:54 PM

Nice idea but for me it doesn't give complete results. If I search for an author name, I don't get as many items as are in my library or that searching within DL2 returns. It is nice that it can search for fields other than those the DL2 search box can search.

Forum Links
Forum Rules