Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro vs. Macbook for final cut studio/express dilemma

Macbook Pro vs. Macbook for final cut studio/express dilemma
Spidey79
Oct 8, 2006, 05:23 PM

Hey guys and gals... I have a question.

I have been an avid user of adobe premiere pro on the windows system for a couple of years. I have a competent desktop on the pc side that can handle my multimedia. However, I am a film student that wants to make his way into the film industry, the only thing that they use is Final Cut Pro. This saddened me because I have a lot of software on the pc side. Good news is that I can finally boot up with windows through bootcamp and keep some of my software.. Hooray!! The question comes down to the laptop I should buy?

I know that the current MBP carry the core duo and it is speculated that a the next revision of the MBP will contain the C2D. I was also told that this week, there might be a 200 dollar off at my computerstore on-campus on the current MBP. This would bring down the MBP 2.0 ghz to either 1600 or 1550. I need to run final cut on it to become better at it. I am going to be editing mini-dv for a while, but i wonder if I should invest on the MBP for the long run.

There is also the other option of getting a Macbook and getting final cut express 3.5 on it and edit on it for a while.

So the dilemma comes down whether or not I should purchase the current MBP for 250-200 dollars off, or wait for the next revision. The only thing I am afraid of is letting this offer go by. Final cut Studio will also be 100 bucks off, making it 399. I would like some feedback! Thanks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2006, 05:45 PM

Why not get the MacBook and Final Cut Studio? Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Soundtrack Pro, and Compressor should be fine on a maxed out MacBook; for Motion you'd want the MacBook Pro. The only issue may be screen space; I'd try it out in-store before comitting to the smaller screen.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2006, 10:40 PM

I think Final Cut Pro use would definitely warrant the higher resolution screen of a MacBook Pro.

The MacBook Pro for $1550 or $1600 seems like a steal to me (interesting that they would be offering such a nice additional discount....... clearing inventory for new models presumably?).

Forum Links
Forum Rules