Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Gentoo Linux on G3 iBook

Gentoo Linux on G3 iBook
ntsc
Senior User
Apr 6, 2005, 07:30 AM

hi

i'm installing gentoo linux on my iBook G3 600. unfortunately i've run into a snag with X. i've emerged kde and tried to startx, but it complained that it didn't have a config file. so i had a poke about and made the example config file the config file but that has resulted in it spitting out the error "Using vt7 (EE) No devices detected" and then "Fatal server error: no screens found"

does anyone know how to sort this?
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by ntsc:
I hardly use X on Linux, but you usually have to use a tool that creates a config file, like Xconfigurator. I usually go search http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/ or ask the guys in #gentoo on irc.freenode.net. I run Gentoo on x86 hardware, but there's a PPC channel at #gentoo-ppc. They can usually help you there.

"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2005, 09:39 AM

if you have XFree, try x86config, or if you have Xorg, try xorgconfig.

cocoanut
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2005, 03:10 AM

Linux-ppc users have a mighty usefull tool called 'Xautoconfig'. It's a ppc only tool (yay!) that gives you a working X config in a second.
Just 'emerge Xautoconfig', then run it, then startx.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 10:25 PM

You could also try editing your X config file by hand to specify the driver to use as "vga" or even "vesa".

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Apr 19, 2005, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by ntsc
hi

i'm installing gentoo linux on my iBook G3 600. unfortunately i've run into a snag with X. i've emerged kde and tried to startx, but it complained that it didn't have a config file. so i had a poke about and made the example config file the config file but that has resulted in it spitting out the error "Using vt7 (EE) No devices detected" and then "Fatal server error: no screens found"

Thats one reason why I use Yellow Dog.

clam2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2005, 10:31 PM

There are plenty configs out there for your computer, just do a google search for xf86config ibook clamshell, and you'll find a handful that you can try.

the problem you've run into is that you haven't correctly configured a monitor device in your config, however doing so by hand requires your knowledge of at least the horizontal and vertical refresh rates, which is why it's much simpler to just use Xautoconfig or copy someone elses.

alari
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 10:56 AM

Try

X -configure

it will try to autodetect your hardware and creata a configuration file in root's home directory.

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2005, 11:33 AM

Emerge Xautoconfig. It gave me a perfect config for my 700 MHz G3 iBook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules