Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Beeb confesses

The Beeb confesses
Kevin
Baninated
Oct 21, 2006, 10:10 PM

We are biased, admit the stars of BBC News | the Daily Mail

It was the day that a host of BBC executives and star presenters admitted what critics have been telling them for years: the BBC is dominated by trendy, Left-leaning liberals who are biased against Christianity and in favour of multiculturalism.

A leaked account of an 'impartiality summit' called by BBC chairman Michael Grade, is certain to lead to a new row about the BBC and its reporting on key issues, especially concerning Muslims and the war on terror.

It reveals that executives would let the Bible be thrown into a dustbin on a TV comedy show, but not the Koran, and that they would broadcast an interview with Osama Bin Laden if given the opportunity. Further, it discloses that the BBC's 'diversity tsar', wants Muslim women newsreaders to be allowed to wear veils when on air.

Wonder what this will change?

puppetswhokill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2006, 10:17 PM

What about Poland?

War is peace. Wrong is right. Up is down.
Death is life. Lies are truth.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2006, 10:20 PM

not a damn thing will change.

The same is true of nearly all countries with government-sponsored broadcasting. Which is pretty much all of the EU.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy View Post

The same is true of nearly all countries with government-sponsored broadcasting. Which is pretty much all of the EU.
I think you meant to say that pretty much all of the EU has equivalents to your PBS?

Anything else would have been complete bullshit, so let's just assume that for your sake.

Right right?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2006, 10:31 PM

No, not exactly.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 21, 2006, 10:52 PM

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2006, 11:25 PM

What's wrong with wanting to interview Bin Laden? I don't think that's ideology, that's just wanting the ratings.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2006, 11:30 PM

The Brits have to pay a licensing fee for that biased propaganda - the equivalent of about $200 a year.

And then they get to pay for the defense council when the propaganda gets uncovered.

America smiles at this.

heh> "Using a television without an appropriate licence is a criminal offence. Every day we catch an average of 1,200 people using a TV without a licence. There is no valid excuse for using a television and not having a TV Licence, but some people still try - sometimes with the most ridiculous stories ever heard. Our detection equipment will track down your TV. The fact that our enquiry officers are now so well equipped with the latest technology means that there is virtually no way to avoid detection."
-- from the official website of the British Television Licensing Authority, May 2003

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2006, 04:25 AM

The Brits have to pay a licensing fee for that biased propaganda - the equivalent of about $250 a year.
Fixed.

"Using a television without an appropriate licence is a criminal offence. Every day we catch an average of 1,200 people using a TV without a licence. There is no valid excuse for using a television and not having a TV Licence, but some people still try - sometimes with the most ridiculous stories ever heard. Our detection equipment will track down your TV. The fact that our enquiry officers are now so well equipped with the latest technology means that there is virtually no way to avoid detection."
-- from the official website of the British Television Licensing Authority, May 2003
They got caught with that one. It's not illegal to use a TV without a licence - it's illegal to receive broadcasts. Perfectly legal to watch DVDs on it or use it for PS2 or whatever.

They reworded it a couple of years back:

"Using a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) without a valid TV Licence is against the law and could lead to prosecution and a fine of up to Ā£1,000, not to mention the embarrassment and hassle of a court appearance."

I have a feeling that the licence will go away soon. This report of bias will give another little push in the right direction.

BTW, if anyone wants a laugh and has a spare hour to kill, go check the forums on this place:
http://www.tvlicensing.biz/

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2006, 05:57 AM

OK, so I had a spare hour to kill and did an update read on those forums I pointed to above.

Here's something interesting, related to both TV licences and the fascism this country is descending into (remember my little adventure with the gas company?).

:: View topic - Search Warrant

"Communications Act 2003 that deals with search warrants for TV licence enforcement. The following is a link to section 366 (Powers to enforce TV licensing) of the Act."

(2) A warrant under this section is a warrant authorising any one or more persons authorised for the purpose by the BBC or by OFCOM-

(a) to enter the premises or vehicle at any time (either alone or in the company of one or more constables); and
(b) to search the premises or vehicle and examine and test any television receiver found there.
So, if you don't have a TV (and thus don't need a TV licence), it's perfectly legal for a bloke employed by the BBC to break into your house while you're not in to make sure you're in compliance with the law.

And folks wonder why I keep ranting about the authoritarian bastards in charge of this country.

nath
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2006, 07:50 AM

lol. it's all about the crazee lefties!!!!
(as if TV licence enforcement didn't take place under successive Conservative governments, to similar gnashing of teeth)

About your gas company troubles - I'm guessing this was a private company, since there isn't any state owned gas utility in the UK anymore?
Not exactly a damning condemnation of teh evil nanny-state government trying to ruin your life. Damn those free market capitalists and their running-dog shareholders!!

I think the BBC is one of the best broadcasters in the world, both in terms of quality of output and non-partisanship.

The way it has utterly crushed its main commercial rival in the UK (which incidentally features far more tabloid/Fox-style 'news') tends to indicate that most British viewers concur.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2006, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
What's wrong with wanting to interview Bin Laden? I don't think that's ideology, that's just wanting the ratings.
...and for a private broadcasting service that lives and dies by its ratings, that's one thing. But the BBC isn't supposed to be like that. Its taxpayer funding is supposed to mean that it doesn't have to concentrate on ratings, and can instead just deliver "pure" and "neutral" content. Or at least, that's what supporters of the model say.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2006, 09:09 AM

Wait - what isn't neutral about an INTERVIEW?

I think you're missing a vital point about what journalistic neutrality means.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Wait - what isn't neutral about an INTERVIEW?
I'm not trying to say that there isn't anything neutral about an interview. I'm only trying to say that the BBC isn't supposed to be motivated by ratings, and therefore should, at least in theory, not be a slave to sensationalism like "private" media. However, what purpose does an OBL interview serve except sensationalism?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2006, 11:07 AM

One could ask the same of any interview held with any other leader.

As for ratings: If the BBC is anything like the broadcast corp I worked at for over five years, the pressure is immense precisely BECAUSE it is publicly funded and in CONSTANT threat of having funding restructured/cut by politicians who (or whose cronies) have a personal vendetta, or who listen to blokes like Doofy who do nothing but bitch about how they have to pay for services that they MUCH prefer Murdoch and Fox News to.

Ratings are a last line of defense against such constant onslaughts.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by nath View Post
lol. it's all about the crazee lefties!!!!
(as if TV licence enforcement didn't take place under successive Conservative governments, to similar gnashing of teeth)
Entries on warrants for non-payment of licence (including those who don't need a licence) had to be performed with a copper present until 2003. Now they don't need the copper.

About your gas company troubles - I'm guessing this was a private company, since there isn't any state owned gas utility in the UK anymore?
Not exactly a damning condemnation of teh evil nanny-state government trying to ruin your life. Damn those free market capitalists and their running-dog shareholders!!
The problem is caused by a recently introduced government requirement, not the gas company themselves.

I think the BBC is one of the best broadcasters in the world, both in terms of quality of output and non-partisanship.
Aside from Top Gear and your David Attenborough stuff, it's all crap.

The way it has utterly crushed its main commercial rival in the UK (which incidentally features far more tabloid/Fox-style 'news') tends to indicate that most British viewers concur.
Strange how it manages to crush its competition when it has an almost endless supply of guaranteed revenue whatever it does while the competition have to actually compete for their income.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2006, 11:59 AM

who listen to blokes like Doofy who do nothing but bitch about how they have to pay for services that they MUCH prefer Murdoch and Fox News to.
You're missing the point. What I'm bitching about is that if you haven't got a TV (and thus don't use their services), you end up constantly harassed with threatening letters and run the risk of having your house broken into just so they can make sure that you're not telling them porkies (i.e. guilty until proven innocent).

Thus it's almost a crime to not own a TV and not give money to the BBC.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2006, 12:29 PM

Well, no argument there.

I find it difficult to believe, however, that they have the right to break into your home and search it.

Here, they ring the bell of households not registered, but you have to give them permission to enter. If you don't, they might send you the payment form anyway, which you can then contest.

It's a form of harassment, I suppose, but it's not breaking and entering.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2006, 12:57 PM

Well, no argument there.

I find it difficult to believe, however, that they have the right to break into your home and search it.
Dude, that quote above is from the Telecommunications Act. Says it there in black and white.

And yes, a lot of how the UK operates at the moment is difficult to believe.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2006, 01:03 PM

Woah. Missed that.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2006, 03:08 PM

As a student with little interest in TV, I just watch episodes on iTunes on my computer. I have no TV. Nevertheless I get sent threatening letters every week ("You may either pay now, or endure an embarassing trial and pay a much larger fine"), I even have threatening banner adverts on my hotmail page ("No excuse: Harder to avoid. Pay Online")

ntsc
Senior User
Oct 23, 2006, 01:29 AM

To be fair the system of TV licensing control in the UK is somewhat predicated on everyone owning a television and receiving broadcasts. Which for the most part is true, although I agree with the poster who said that this will all probably have to change in the relatively near future especially as the delivery of television entertainment changes with technology.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2006, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Dude, that quote above is from the Telecommunications Act. Says it there in black and white.

And yes, a lot of how the UK operates at the moment is difficult to believe.
This is the first time I have heard of TV licensing. That is absolutely ridiculous! Do your countrymen have no spines?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2006, 03:55 AM

I'm in shock.

Some of those warnings and letters read like war propaganda from the 1940's

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2006, 05:55 AM

PBS funding:

Funding for PBS programs comes from a variety of sources -- member stations' dues, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, government agencies, foundations, corporations and private citizens.

Funding . Producing for PBS | PBS

Seems reasonable, though there's apparently a bunch that's financed through TAXES, which EVERYBODY pays, regardless of whether they actually watch/listen to PBS or not. (As evidenced by the fact that Bush tried to cut PBS funding by $100 million recently)
( Last edited by analogika; Oct 23, 2006 at 06:05 AM. Reason: edited after research.)

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2006, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
This is the first time I have heard of TV licensing. That is absolutely ridiculous! Do your countrymen have no spines?

gosh

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 23, 2006, 07:00 AM

Well good thing is, we can now end the debate that the BBC is biased.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2006, 10:29 AM

Do your countrymen have no spines?
Basically, no. The TV licence could end tomorrow if everyone stopped paying it. But everyone does what they're told, just like the good little sheeple they are.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2006, 10:33 AM

Man, do they ever sound like a bully.

In the states I'd compare it to an aggressive drunk driving or driving while uninsured commercial.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2006, 11:55 AM

News just in:

Germany licenses the Internet

Germany licenses the Internet

THE GERMAN government has hit upon a wizard wheeze to milk the internet to pay for its "dull but precise" state-run television broadcasts.
According to Reuters, all 16 German states have voted in a new law that will require Internet users to pay a licence fee of ā‚¬5.52 (ļæ½3.70) a month for each computer and mobile phone that can connect to the internet.

At a meeting in the aptly named Bad Pyrmont, ministers decided that if you can see a television or radio program on the net, it should be eligible for the German TV and radio licence fee.

However, while there is a logic to charging people for watching TV on their computers, the move has got the business community up in arms.

Companies could face stiff bills when none of their computers will be watching any light entertainment content.

As it is, Germany's TV licence fee is among the highest in Europe, with only Switzerland and the Nordic countries paying more. The German government likes to fund four national public broadcasters, several local broadcasters and all the country's public radio stations.

It is likely that the fee will be charged through Internet Service Providers as traditional methods of catching people do who not pay their telly licence fee are not going to work.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2006, 11:58 AM

Reminds me of when they killed internet radio in the US.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2006, 12:01 PM

Wow, the Europeans put up with some strangely invasive and odious taxes.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2006, 12:31 PM

Entries on warrants for non-payment of licence (including those who don't need a licence) had to be performed with a copper present until 2003. Now they don't need the copper.
You complain about the levels of crime in the UK but you want cops to get involved in enforcing payment of TV licences?!

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2006, 12:32 PM

Not just Europe. Most countries I know of impose a licence fee.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Troll View Post
You complain about the levels of crime in the UK but you want cops to get involved in enforcing payment of TV licences?!
No. I don't want thugs employed by the BBC to be able to break into my house when they feel like it.

And all said and done, I don't want a TV licence. If the BBC requires funding, then let it offer all of its channels as a subscription package for the same price as the current licence fee. That way, those who want to watch it can pay... ...those who don't don't have to.

And the level of crime in the UK has nothing to do with availability of cops. It's to do with politically correct idiocy like this and the courts giving out easy punishments. You introduce "40 years in solitary for first burglary offence" and burglary would go away overnight.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Troll View Post
Not just Europe. Most countries I know of impose a licence fee.
You probably need to learn about more countries then. The majority of countries in the World don't impose a licence fee.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2006, 02:31 PM

"Dull-but-precise".

Heh.

Most of the best TV available here is on the "state-run" (note that there are extremely strict regulations to ensure that it is NOT "state-CONTROLLED") stations.

And note also that those computer fees AFAIK only apply if the household has not already registered a TV.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2006, 02:33 PM

No, no - YOUR country is the one financing PBS at least in part through taxpayers' money.

This Euro stuff is only about paying if you actually own a TV.

If you don't, you don't pay. I actually know some people who are now left alone by the collection agencies.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 23, 2006, 03:22 PM

I'm not sure I understand the language on that poster.

If the recipient of that doesn't get back in touch, there's a threat that something bad will happen.

The recipient is also warned that they may get a fine of 1000 GBP and that they won't be going anywhere...

Are they hinting that they intend to break the recipients legs until he pays?

I would have thought that if the recipient had the 1000 GBP that he could pay and go anywhere he pleased, but apparently they deprive you of the ability to be mobile...

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2006, 03:36 PM

It's suggesting that you could be imprisoned as well as fined. Hence the 'not going anywhere' verbage.

Check the link that Doofy posted earlier. The image I posted was was of the least threatening they showed.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2006, 04:04 PM

No, no - YOUR country is the one financing PBS at least in part through taxpayers' money.

This Euro stuff is only about paying if you actually own a TV.

If you don't, you don't pay. I actually know some people who are now left alone by the collection agencies.
Since most everyone has a TV in America, and those who do not probably pay far less than $100 in taxes toward funding PBS, I have to heartily disagree with you.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2006, 04:09 PM

I love this: "Better get in touch - before we come back."

Yeah, and if I'm perfectly legal and write you off... what then?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by DakarĀ² View Post
I love this: "Better get in touch - before we come back."

Yeah, and if I'm perfectly legal and write you off... what then?
They expect entry into your house to check that you're legal. If you don't comply they trot off to get a warrant and then break into your house while you're not there.

Rumor
Oct 23, 2006, 05:16 PM

Do you need a poop permit too?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Do you need a poop permit too?
It won't be long. Seriously.

Rumor
Oct 23, 2006, 05:21 PM

Maybe Darth Doofy needs to put on his battle boots, play a battle hymn and kick some ass?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

puppetswhokill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2006, 05:34 PM

Heh, I remember watching the old english movies where they put a coin in a slot to get heat. No coin no heat. Maybe they should just put a coin box on TVs.

Only in Ameri...England.

I don't think anyone in N. America would put up with having to have a license to watch TV. And I wouldn't want to be the guy who had to go check. His life expectancy would not be very long.

War is peace. Wrong is right. Up is down.
Death is life. Lies are truth.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2006, 10:08 PM

Poop permit!! HEHEHEHeheheheh... you crack me up!

permmipfffttthhh...... that's so awesome! Poop PERMIT!! That's what he said... so rich... so funny... I LOVE IT!

POOP PERMIT!! HAAHHAHAhahahahahaahahHAAh!!!!

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2006, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Poop permit!! HEHEHEHeheheheh... you crack me up!

permmipfffttthhh...... that's so awesome! Poop PERMIT!! That's what he said... so rich... so funny... I LOVE IT!

POOP PERMIT!! HAAHHAHAhahahahahaahahHAAh!!!!

Sarcasm permit?

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2006, 03:57 AM

You probably need to learn about more countries then. The majority of countries in the World don't impose a licence fee.
Source?

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia.

"The Museum of Broadcast Communications in Chicago notes that two-thirds of the countries in Europe and half of the countries in Asia and Africa use television licences to fund public television. TV Licensing is rare in the Americas, largely being confined to French overseas departments."

So, outside of America, most countries impose a TV licence. It's NOT just a European thing.
( Last edited by Troll; Oct 24, 2006 at 04:05 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules