Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quicktime

Quicktime
darin08
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 06:40 PM

Hi
Quicktime on my ibook g3 isn't functioning correctly. When you try to access a streaming video online, a warning pops up that says that quicktime is missing software and that it's not available on the server. I can't update or re-install it because i dont have panther, which is required for the upgrade. ( i have 10.2.8 jaguar)
This doesn't make sense to me because Windows Media works fine and thats not even made by Apple.
Anyone run into this or know a solution?

mindwaves
Dec 8, 2006, 06:44 PM

It is most likely not Quicktime's fault. Please download and install this:

Flip4Mac WMV Products

Relaunch browser and see.

darin08  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 11:06 PM

hmm, seems like i would need quicktime components for windows media rather then WMV for quicktime. The problems is, quicktime isn't playing files that are designed to be played with qucktime. This didn't solve the problem. A good example of my problem, is, a few of the pages on the Apple website are quicktime based and when entering these webpages, the warning about missing software pops up.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 11:54 PM

what version of quicktime do you have?

red rocket
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2006, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by darin08
A good example of my problem, is, a few of the pages on the Apple website are quicktime based and when entering these webpages, the warning about missing software pops up.
Another thing to bear in mind is that, if you're trying to look at movie trailers on Apple's website, they've been encoding them in H.264 for a while now, which requires QuickTime 7. Which unfortunately isn't available for Jaguar, and even if it was, wouldn't play smoothly on a G3. Our systems are too old, by not supporting proper video playback on them the greedy capitalist pigs at Apple are trying to make us to buy new computers. You could get around it by buying a G4 and install a more modern OS on it, but in a couple of years, expect them to come up with some even more "advanced" codec that you won't be able to watch, either. It's not like it would kill Jobs and cohorts to offer video in some old school formats along with the modern crap, but no, they can't be bloody bothered.

darin08  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2006, 05:42 PM

thats a good point. I guess if they have no reason to support the old systems, they wont. Its too bad the minimum requirements are so high on alot of things.
It should be like cars, where the companies have to support them for up to 10 years.

And Its not just quicktime, many other things are like that too. It seems like all the OS X versions are the same except for visual and usablilty improvements, so how could the programs make a difference.

darin08  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2006, 05:45 PM

what version of quicktime do you have?

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by darin08 View Post
It should be like cars, where the companies have to support them for up to 10 years.

And Its not just quicktime, many other things are like that too. It seems like all the OS X versions are the same except for visual and usablilty improvements, so how could the programs make a difference.
But should automobile makers when they come out with a new model have to be under obligation to retool all the old models to fit the same feature set as the new ones? Though it often appears that it's only the GUI changing, many other things "under the hood" of the system also changes with each version.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2006, 08:28 PM

Yeah, they kind of do support old models, and that support costs about $80 and it's called Tiger. I run it on my G3 pismo with general success.

darin08  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2006, 06:26 PM

But should automobile makers when they come out with a new model have to be under obligation to retool all the old models to fit the same feature set as the new ones? Though it often appears that it's only the GUI changing, many other things "under the hood" of the system also changes with each version.
If you have a 1995 taurus, Ford, is still manufactures new parts for the old vehicle. Although, if you have OS Jaguar, you Apple no longer produces programs for this old OS. I guess thats what i was attempting to compaire.

Tiger also requires a DVD drive, which many older systems do not have.
There are both sides to this, but i think by the time i will need a new OS, a new macbook will be a better choice anyway.

Overall, jaguar is great, but sometimes theres something I'll want to do, but can't because panther is the minimum requirement. And its not worth buying a new OS just to watch a youtube video.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2006, 07:10 PM

Youtube?! You should've said that right away. Youtube is Flash video (which isn't technically streaming, but that's beside the point), should work once you install the latest version of Flash Player: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by darin08 View Post
If you have a 1995 taurus, Ford, is still manufactures new parts for the old vehicle.
...Which you have to buy. It seems that your objection is not about offering support, it's about offering FREE support. That's not really fair.

Also, your computer still does all the things it used to do, it's not like something broke. You want to download new and better content, and it's not such an outrage for them to ask for a little contribution to support the new technology.

Although, if you have OS Jaguar, you Apple no longer produces programs for this old OS.
But the new OS still runs on your old hardware, and I think that's pretty cool.

Also, you could try VLC, if you're willing to open the web page's source and search for the movie address. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.

ntsc
Senior User
Dec 12, 2006, 12:49 AM

Tiger also requires a DVD drive, which many older systems do not have.
Not true Apple does distribute Tiger as CDs if its requested, there is a possibility there is a charge for this I don't recall, but it is possible to install with a DVD optical drive.
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

Forum Links
Forum Rules