Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need some help with a Powerbook 1400cs...........

Need some help with a Powerbook 1400cs...........
Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2005, 02:54 PM

I got a nice Powerbook 1400cs/166 to use on trips to TN for checking e-mail and all. Now it needs a modem since it doesnt have one. Are there any card type modems for this thing out there. Its running OS 8.5.1 with 16mb of built in ram and 30mb of virtual ram. Also other than AOL what browers are there for this. (ive got to use AOL since thats my ISP)

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2005, 02:44 AM

OLD versions of Netscape - Version 4.03 comes to mind as the most stable out of the versions I've used.

I believe IE 4.0 or 5.0 might work as well.

Don't expect many sites to work on that very well, though. If I were you I'd move up to 9.X and load on IE 5.0.

vinster
Senior User
Aug 29, 2005, 03:26 AM

You should really try and max the physical RAM on this computer. It will help.

As for a modem, a PCMCIA modem should work. I have an old 33.6k Megahertz cruise card for my 5300c PowerBook. I don't think you'll need an extension (driver), but it's possible so make sure you can return the modem card if it doesn't work.

Good luck!

Yonidass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2005, 10:32 AM

I used to use a Viking 56k PC card modem with my 1400. Never had any problems and you can still get the drivers from their site. You can pick one up on ebay for $10.

Believe it or not, the 1400 does wireless too just fine. Needs a specific card though.

http://lowendmac.com/pb2/1400.shtml

http://www.penmachine.com/techie/airport1400.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules