Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > dvd rw on the 12 inch

dvd rw on the 12 inch
tether
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2005, 12:47 PM

thinking of buying - i'd like to keep things small and light -so would prefer the 12" model, but i want a dvd-rw drive, or at least dvd-r - there isnt any way apple would put one of those in for me, would you reckon?

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2005, 12:58 PM

Unfortunately, you need to buy a PowerBook for such a configuration.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2005, 01:33 PM

Apple doesn't, but there are several 3rd party companies that will. But for the cost, you could almost just upgrade to the powerbook.
Techrestore (scroll down) will do it for $279 .. not too shabby.

tether  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2005, 01:50 PM

thanks for that

there's a 'self-service' option at that link - the price then being 150- dollars - i presume with that they send you the drive and you install it yourself - for a non-techie like myself, would you say that would be too much of an undertaking, or is it simple enough with a set of installation instructions that i could follow?

and would it invalidate the warranty, having a diffferent drive put in?

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2005, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by tether
thanks for that

there's a 'self-service' option at that link - the price then being 150- dollars - i presume with that they send you the drive and you install it yourself - for a non-techie like myself, would you say that would be too much of an undertaking, or is it simple enough with a set of installation instructions that i could follow?

and would it invalidate the warranty, having a diffferent drive put in?
It's not extremely difficult... but I'm comfortable opening up my computer systems... but being a laptop, it adds a level of difficulty. The instructions are rather straight forward, but there is still a margin of error. You could slip and really damage your computer. Is it worth the extra $100 or so? You need to ask yourself that.

I also believe it will also void your warranty.

ShyGuy91284
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2005, 11:36 PM

You didn't really explain if you needed one on the go. And I'm not sure about support for external drives on Macs since I'm pretty new to the scene, But I'd consider a firewire external one of some sort if your strapped on cash. I for one couldn't justify spending so much on a DVD burner in my *book (iBook) when I can get the same functionality for much cheaper.

Forum Links
Forum Rules