Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 25)
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by starman
At least with a 360 you can DO something with it without a game.
Oh...cool...like what ? fry an egg on it ? Kudos to all those people who buy an XB360 without a game.... your putting your money to good use.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 11:18 PM

For perspective on the controller price issue:

http://www.xbox.com:80/en-US/hardwar...esscontroller/
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2006, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Oh...cool...like what ? fry an egg on it ? Kudos to all those people who buy an XB360 without a game.... your putting your money to good use.
So ignorant....

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 12:28 AM

Oh come on, you know there is a million thing to do with the 360 even if you don't have a single purchased game.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
For perspective on the controller price issue:

http://www.xbox.com:80/en-US/hardwar...esscontroller/
Ouch...an extra $150 if you want to play with your friends...

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Ouch...an extra $150 if you want to play with your friends...

Microsoft markets the system to play with friends ONLINE not in groups in the room so you don't have to spend money on controllers for others.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Microsoft markets the system to play with friends ONLINE not in groups in the room so you don't have to spend money on controllers for others.
So you play with other people who don't own a 360 using magic?

I mean, it makes perfect sense. Instead of everyone just needing a controller, they just have to buy an entire XBox 360...
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 01:26 AM

I am a nintendo fanboy of sorts... owned every nintendo system, and never anything else... but the Wii is too expensive for what it is. They put emphasis on how they didn't have a powerful multimedia machine, and then charge almost the same price as the core 360 that is a powerful machine with multimedia capabilities. I think I will be waiting on this one for a year or so, waiting for it to come down to $150. And screw them for their $5-10 old games and $60 controllers (yes, I know that includes the nunchuka). The lost one sale with me.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 04:53 AM

Oh come on, you know there is a million thing to do with the 360 even if you don't have a single purchased game.
I know, and im sure that a large portion(in not all) of the XB360s sold around the world were NOT baught by consumers to play videogames, but to use the tacked on functionality.

Similarily most of the Wiis that Nintendo will sell will be to consumers who want to browse the web on their TVs and want to check the weather and view photos, but definately NOT to play videogames.

PS>> for my multimedia "PC"/"set top box", the iTV will be MORE than adequate, small+quiet+simple. So, thus far...my videogame+media"PC" setup will set me back...$250+$299....$550. i hate to invest in half-arsed products, just to end up doubling up when the good stuff actually does come out (Xb360 vs iTV)

Ham Sandwich
Sep 15, 2006, 08:40 AM

PS>> for my multimedia "PC"/"set top box", the iTV will be MORE than adequate, small+quiet+simple. So, thus far...my videogame+media"PC" setup will set me back...$250+$299....$550. i hate to invest in half-arsed products, just to end up doubling up when the good stuff actually does come out (Xb360 vs iTV)
iTV will only be worthwhile if it's built upon Quicktime and allows Quicktime plugins (Flip4Mac, divx, etc.) or similar tech. The thing that pisses me off about my 360s video playing abilities is that is need to buy a MCE box to stream video to it or watch a non-DVD format recording locally on the box. Takes the 360 from being a simple, all in one media solution to a buggy, costly, half-assed solution. I have to keep my original XBOX with XMBC around to provide streaming video to my screen.

If I can only stream iTunes store video or, OSX/Media Center OS to iTV, no way will I buy it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2006, 08:58 AM

Use Connect360 on the Mac.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 09:13 AM

So you play with other people who don't own a 360 using magic?

I mean, it makes perfect sense. Instead of everyone just needing a controller, they just have to buy an entire XBox 360...
That makes no sense but alright.

Ham Sandwich
Sep 15, 2006, 09:40 AM

Use Connect360 on the Mac.
Streaming VIDEO not pictures and music.

Connect360 does not stream video!

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2006, 09:47 AM

Ok, I'm SORRY.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 10:11 AM

That makes no sense but alright.
Sure it does. You're saying if you want 4 people to play together on an XBox 360, the way it's supposed to be done is to have each person buy an XBox 360 instead of just getting four controllers. This is when you're complaining about the price of controllers, and when I can probably count the number of people I know who own an XBox 360 on one hand. In fact, whenever I've played multiplayer Halo, it's never been on Live. It's always been at a party of some sort, with four controllers. I've played once with networked XBox's, but that was an 8 person match. Getting 4 controllers is far cheaper than getting 4 XBoxes.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2006, 10:14 AM

Sorry, but the split-screen FPS games have always made me laugh. Part of the fun is NOT knowing where the other person was. This is why I never understood why Goldeneye was so popular.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 10:15 AM

In fact, whenever I've played multiplayer Halo, it's never been on Live. It's always been at a party of some sort, with four controllers. I've played once with networked XBox's, but that was an 8 person match. Getting 4 controllers is far cheaper than getting 4 XBoxes.
That's cuz you're stuck in a Nintendo mentality.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 10:19 AM

Wii-Day down under and Europe is December 7th.....i can finally breathe a sigh of relief........ <sigh>

I was expecting them to delay the launch until March ala SONY. Launching before the 25th in these territories will definately be benefcial.... so i guess ill wait for you Yanks to have a go and post reviews

Cheers

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
That's cuz you're stuck in a Nintendo mentality.
...I can probably count the number of people I know who own an XBox 360 on one hand.
If I'm going to play online against people I don't know, I'll use a PC for that. Consoles are for social gaming with friends, which is better if you're all in the same place.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 10:34 AM

If I'm going to play online against people I don't know, I'll use a PC for that. Consoles are for social gaming with friends, which is better if you're all in the same place.
I was making joke.

On a more serious note, you don't happen to live in a dorm at college, do you?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 15, 2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by screamingFit
Streaming VIDEO not pictures and music.

Connect360 does not stream video!

True not from a Mac. Does it from A PC with media Centre?

What video's you watch anyway?

"Hello, what have we here?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 10:46 AM

I was making joke.

On a more serious note, you don't happen to live in a dorm at college, do you?
Did. I'm not anymore but i still run into the "drinking party Halo" thing a lot.

Sorry, I wasn't so sure you were being sarcastic, so I decided to chance it.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 10:48 AM

Did. I'm not anymore but i still run into the "drinking party Halo" thing a lot.
Give it about 5 years. Once everyone gets entrenched in 40 hour a week jobs, significant others, differing schedules, and bigger location distances, online becomes a whole lot more viable.

Sorry, I wasn't so sure you were being sarcastic, so I decided to chance it.
Given the general tone of the thread I don't blame you.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 10:51 AM

£179 on December 8th. Pretty much what was expected for me with the $250 USA price. So a Wii360 is going to be £458 at the most (I say at the most because I'm still thinking there might be an Xbox 360 price drop before Christmas), and the PS3 will be £425 in March (maybe ). Yep, its a Wii and a 360 for me, a Wii because its something different and fun, 360 for the graphics. Probably not getting both at the same time, but I prefer the combination of the two to a PS3. And no I'm not anti anybody or pro anyone else.

Oh and I'm not fussed over the Wii not playing DVD discs. I've got a Mac that can do that.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 11:00 AM

Damn, why does Europe always get screwed with pricing?

Wii launch details in Europe and Australia revealed - Engadget

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 11:04 AM

Because they don't manufacture any electronics of their own, I guess.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 11:06 AM

Because they don't manufacture any electronics of their own, I guess.
Well neither does America for most things. Mac's, 360's gameboys etc all come from China/Tiwan.

Heck if it is just shipping Europe is closer to the place of manufacture than the west is.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
Well neither does America for most things. Mac's, 360's gameboys etc all come from China/Tiwan.

Heck if it is just shipping Europe is closer to the place of manufacture than the west is.
I don't mean the consoles themselves. I mean you don't see Eurpoean brand electronics on store shelves (I think). Therefore, it may be more of premium for them. (Not that I think this makes it right).

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 11:18 AM

Ouch, I forgot about Audio output.. The Wii is just as bad as the Cube in that regard.

Sega of America :: View topic - Wii Specs Revealed! (Finally!)

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 11:21 AM

Good god. What will it take for them to get up 2001 standards, really.

(I take back my it being a polished GameCube -- a polished GameCube would have 5.1)

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 11:30 AM

Good god. What will it take for them to get up 2001 standards, really.

(I take back my it being a polished GameCube -- a polished GameCube would have 5.1)

Seriously. Even with my PS2 it supported 5.1 and I find it is soooo important in many games as you can hear an enemy/car whaterver behind you on either the right or the left giving you notice to react to it.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 11:33 AM

Well PS2 didn't support 5.1 in game, but it did support 4.0 DTS, and I'd take that at least.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 11:42 AM

Well PS2 didn't support 5.1 in game, but it did support 4.0 DTS, and I'd take that at least.

Output: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround sound, DTS, later games achieved analog 5.1 Surround sound through Dolby Pro Logic II

True, but even the first xbox had full support. It makes such a huge difference and you can get 5.1 systems for your home or computer for really cheap in the past 5 years.

Ham Sandwich
Sep 15, 2006, 11:45 AM

True not from a Mac. Does it from A PC with media Centre?

What video's you watch anyway?
Yes, if you have Media Center ($100 OEM) on a PC ($300??) it'll work. I'm NOT buying a PC to just stream video to a 360. Failing streaming, I wish I could just place an .avi on a CD and shove it in the 360 and hit play. It's not a hardware or software limitation - it's MS wanting to make money off Media Center PCs, I'm guessing.

I geek out on Anime subs that I get off the 'net that are usually .avi or divx. Sure, I could convert them to DVD format to play in 360 but that's total overkill.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 12:11 PM

Lol.. you look at a post made on an internet forum and take what they say to be the truth about the Wii's specs ? riiighhhhtttttt at least we can see that SOMEONE's desperate to badmouth nintendo (again). anyone surprised ?

screamingFit ..... thats quite a horrid Media center solution if you ask me. buy a PC for a crappy OS to stream videos to an XBox360. Here's an idea, if you do want a great set-top box that streams wirelessly on your network, and works perfectly with a Mac, you get iTV....no hacks, no PCs and no Windows. seamless, unlike the products put out by M$ imo. (like ive stated before...i'd gladly pay a premium for simplicity and qualty) from what ive seen...when a device's purpose is clearly defined, you tend to get the best experience using it...otherwise, you spend more time fiddling with it than using it.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 15, 2006 at 12:39 PM. )

Ham Sandwich
Sep 15, 2006, 01:30 PM

screamingFit ..... thats quite a horrid Media center solution if you ask me. buy a PC for a crappy OS to stream videos to an XBox360. Here's an idea, if you do want a great set-top box that streams wirelessly on your network, and works perfectly with a Mac, you get iTV....no hacks, no PCs and no Windows. seamless, unlike the products put out by M$ imo. (like ive stated before...i'd gladly pay a premium for simplicity and qualty) from what ive seen...when a device's purpose is clearly defined, you tend to get the best experience using it...otherwise, you spend more time fiddling with it than using it.
EXACTLY! It is a horrid solution - heck, I'd even hesitate to call it a "solution" at all.

I wish MS would allow standard media formats to be used on the 360 - streamed or local. Their plan of getting users to pony up for a Media Center computer isn't going to work on me.

I'm not going to purchase Apple's iTV solution if it doesn't allow more than iTunes Store stuff to be streamed through it.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 01:55 PM

Damn, why does Europe always get screwed with pricing?
The European prices include sales tax which is about 20-25% depending on the state.

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 01:57 PM

Wow, that's just sad.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 01:59 PM

So what AV cable does it come with exactly? RCA/Svid? Is it going to take another year before they release the component cables like they did with the Cube?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 04:27 PM

I just had another major concern. First, since there is only one analog stick which is used for moving does that mean the days of controlling the camera freely are gone? Mario Galaxy's offers zero camera control for this reason so I wonder how it is handled in Zelda or any other third person 3D game.

Secondly.. once again Nintendo has designed the controller for kids or Asian hands and it seems too small. I watched a video of the IGN editor-in-chief using the unit and if you watch him it seems his thumb is not on the tip of the stick as it should be but on the knuckle.

Just as bad the trigger buttons aren't pushed by the end of you finger like on a gun or any other controller but by the base of your finger instead OR bending your finger in an arch and pushing downwards with the tip.

This was my biggest problem with the gamecube and gameboy advance.. The shoulder buttons were too close and made my fingers hurt like hell that i had to get a bigger 3rd party one.

Obviously GoMac will point out that the cube controller is perfect for his hands therefor everyone elses but I have yet to find someone over the age of 12 that doesn't think the cube's controller was small and awkward.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 05:40 PM

Obviously GoMac will point out that the cube controller is perfect for his hands therefor everyone elses but I have yet to find someone over the age of 12 that doesn't think the cube's controller was small and awkward.
Actually, my perfect controller was the N64 controller. The Gamecube controller was awkward at first, but it wasn't that bad.

And while we're on the topic, video of Zelda's controls. (Note, you don't have to be standing up making wide swinging motions.)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZYmqpXRxXS8

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 05:43 PM

Give it about 5 years. Once everyone gets entrenched in 40 hour a week jobs, significant others, differing schedules, and bigger location distances, online becomes a whole lot more viable.
Maybe it's just a generation thing. All the girls I know play video games. My girlfriend plays video games. My High School friends and I play Halo when we get together. It seems everyone I know plays video games, and I don't see that changing in 5 years. Sure, we'll all be more busy, and we won't have 15 people getting together to play games, but I could certainly see 4-5 people playing a game or two on weekends.

Hey, getting a Gamecube was the best way I've ever seen to get girls in our room.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 06:15 PM

I've known many people who really enjoyed the GameCube controller's design. I've always thought the layout of the PlayStation controllers to be hideously awkward, and I was disappointed that Nintendo's non-Wiimotes have regressed to such a poor design.

Just another thing about the Wii for you to gripe about, but to each their own.

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
I've known many people who really enjoyed the GameCube controller's design. I've always thought the layout of the PlayStation controllers to be hideously awkward, and I was disappointed that Nintendo's non-Wiimotes have regressed to such a poor design.

Just another thing about the Wii for you to gripe about, but to each their own.
I'm one of those people. I found the GameCube's controller to be the best of the consoles. Haven't used the 360 one though.

I'm just kind of excited to try out the Wii's newfangled controller. It could be ingeniously fun or absurdly retarded. I can't wait!

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
I'm one of those people. I found the GameCube's controller to be the best of the consoles. Haven't used the 360 one though.

I'm just kind of excited to try out the Wii's newfangled controller. It could be ingeniously fun or absurdly retarded. I can't wait!
Bingo. And the thing is, if worst comes to worst and the new controller really does suck, there will be two other consoles to chose from not including regular computer gaming or portable gaming such as the DS or the PSP.

But I'm also quite excited to try out the Wii's controller!

*edited for a glaring mistake*
( Last edited by Jim Paradise; Sep 15, 2006 at 08:20 PM. )

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
But I'm also quite excited to try out the Wii's controller!
Likewise. And despite SWG and starman's constant bashing/negativity/concerns, i have yet to see someone who has actually used the controller complain about how it feels in their hands. In fact, most of the ppl who have used it and posted reviews said it felt great.

Eitherway, it's something, fresh, new...and reasonably priced. i'm looking forward to it.... it's probably going to be a pre-Christmas buy for me. Games i'll be getting.... Zelda, Excite Truck and Red Steel.

Cheers

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by paul w

I like the GC controller; the dual-shock is better (IMHO), but I like the GC controller better than the N64. I didn't like how all the gem buttons were bundled together on the xbox controller. I've only played the 360 at stores, so no comment on that.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2006, 10:53 PM

Likewise. And despite SWG and starman's constant bashing/negativity/concerns, i have yet to see someone who has actually used the controller complain about how it feels in their hands. In fact, most of the ppl who have used it and posted reviews said it felt great.

Eitherway, it's something, fresh, new...and reasonably priced. i'm looking forward to it.... it's probably going to be a pre-Christmas buy for me. Games i'll be getting.... Zelda, Excite Truck and Red Steel.

Cheers
Grab your remote control.

Wave it in the air for 30 minutes.

Tell us what you think.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2006, 10:43 AM

Grab your remote control.

Wave it in the air for 30 minutes.

Tell us what you think.
Oh the actually ergonomics and "feel" dont bother me too much... seeing as how TV remotes are like universal, i doubt they could make it feel worse.

What i mean was the actual pointing(accuracy), the lag between movements and stuff like that (the "new" stuff, that hasnt been available to try before).

Like i said, the fact that everyone whos used it says it feels great (but takes a little getting used to...obviously) is very reassuring, but with something this ambitious, i'd like to try before i buy.

Cheers

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2006, 12:53 PM

Just in case you havent already seen em...after the recent worldwide Wii events, some new gameplay footage has been added by IGN(and others)....

Excite Truck
Looks alot better than what we saw at E3. I so want to play this game

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
New video up, which shows a lot of gameplay as the wolf, and is stuff i havent seen before. The graphics look very good (obviously not XB360/PS3 level) but th art direction, characters, animation(the horse in particular) are awesome

Red Steel
New trailer up. looks very promicing very unique graphical style.

There's some new stuff on Wii sports and Metroid among others as well.Keeping in mind these games ae still 2 months(a bit less probably) till they are shipped...they seem to be getting the spit n polish before going GM.

Cheers

PS>>I'll save starman and SWG a post.... they look like PS1/PS2 games.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 16, 2006 at 09:21 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules