Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > help: restore corrupted backup of iPhone

help: restore corrupted backup of iPhone
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2010, 12:51 PM

Hi All,

I need to restore a corrupted backup of my iPhone from TimeMachine, and I need some help to make sure I do it properly.

The backstory: i was sync'ing my iPhone when it rang, and I answered it. When I started the sync again, I got a message saying that the iPhone was not readable (sorry, can't remember the exact text), and that I should restore it in iTunes (ver. 9.1 on a Macbook Pro running OSX 10.5.8). I restored the iPhone, and then, when given the opportunity to rebuild it from the latest backup, that process failed (several times).

A reset of the phone and a restart of the Mac didn't help, same message.

So, I'm going on the assumption that the interrupted sync is the source of the problem: it caused a problem with the iPhone, and also a problem with the latest backup.

I'd like to use my TimeMachine backup to restore the iPhone backup before this one, and see if I can restore the iPhone with that. This backup is only 4 days old, and no significant changes have been made to the data on the iPhone since then, so it'd be good to go with this.

I've found the iPhone backups in:

/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

but I also want to make sure that there aren't any other files I'd need to get from TimeMachine at the same time, to make sure that iTunes really does restore my iPhone from an uncorrupted backup. Are there any? (I have done a search, but haven't found a specific reference to a problem like mine).

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Chas

Forum Links
Forum Rules