Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE

KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE
macmicke
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2001, 07:53 PM

Anybody knows how/when/why...
Has something to do with VM and permissions? Occurs among others, if you try to Command-click-drag an item in the MP3 list display in iTunes. Some have reported getting it using pine....

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: macmicke ]
The real MacMicke�

macmicke  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2001, 06:52 AM

I noticed that IE crashes with the same error sometimes....

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: macmicke ]
The real MacMicke�

benh57
Senior User
Nov 17, 2001, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by macmicke:
<STRONG>Anybody knows how/when/why...
Has something to do with VM and permissions? Occurs among others, if you try to Command-click-drag an item in the MP3 list display in iTunes. Some have reported getting it using pine....

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: macmicke ]</STRONG>
Just means the app is trying to do something bad with memory. It is a standard Mach error code.
http://ftp.yars.free.net/pub/software/unix/gnu/Manuals/machinfo-0.3/html_node/mach_3 8.html
vm_protect()-
"The function returns KERN_SUCCESS if the memory was successfully protected, KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS if an illegal or non-allocated address was specified and KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE if an attempt was made to increase the current or maximum protection beyond the existing maximum protection value. "

From that, i think it means that you will get a KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE if the app tries to use memory in a way it is not supposed to ("increase" the maximum protection) from say read, to write. That is, accessing memory it isnt supposed to - stepping on other apps.

Note that this is a very low level error code. All it tells the app programmer is that they are doing something bad with memory.

btw- I just tried the cmd-click-drag and it doesnt crash with iTunes 2.0.2.

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: benh57 ]
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

macmicke  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2001, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the clarifications.
I suspect that this message is just the symptoms of something that is wrong with my system. Installers that doesnt work, among other things. Installers that work on my PB G3....
Perhaps a reinstall of the system, we will see...
The real MacMicke�

Forum Links
Forum Rules