Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Info on 10.1 5F24

Info on 10.1 5F24 (Page 2)
SkullMacPN
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2001, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by <reactor @ work>:
<STRONG>Link don't work for me, either.....</STRONG>
Geocities prevents remote linking of some file types (image files, etc) hosted on their free service. They do this mostly to prevent people from using geocities as a free image hosting service for their remote website.

Its actually very easy to do in something like Apache.

[ 07-24-2001: Message edited by: SkullMacPN ]

PMan88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2001, 03:30 PM

I command-clicked it in OmniWeb and it showed up fine.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2001, 04:08 PM

Kelix, can you please post some pictures of iTunes 1.2?

I want to know if there is an equalizer, like in Soundjam. I also would like pictures of any other new features in iTunes 1.2. Oh and also that transparant volumn (square) that Steve Jobs showed.

Thanks
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

happyOSXDude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2001, 04:30 PM

Another 10.1 question -- how quick is click and drag on the desktop? On 10.0.4, its responsive UNTIL I drag over something that is selectable (folder, link) -- then it becomes a dog (powermac G4, 466Mhz, 300+meg). Has this improved any?

Thanks in advance

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2001, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Mac Write:
<STRONG>Kelix, can you please post some pictures of iTunes 1.2?

I want to know if there is an equalizer, like in Soundjam. I also would like pictures of any other new features in iTunes 1.2. Oh and also that transparant volumn (square) that Steve Jobs showed.

Thanks</STRONG>
I think that "Volume block" wasn't just iTunes. I think that was the sound level for the system, controllible from the keyboard.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2001, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Mac Write:
<STRONG>Kelix, can you please post some pictures of iTunes 1.2?
Thanks</STRONG>
Does iTunes even ship WITH this build?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

cwasko
Senior User
Jul 24, 2001, 05:17 PM

Something that I just noticed in 5F7 is that the 'Services' menu is in every app - Carbon and Cocoa. However, it does not seem to work for Carbon apps. No matter I have selected or what I do, nothing in the 'Services' menu works for any of the Carbon apps. So, the question is, Kelix, does the Services menu work in 5F24?

[ 07-24-2001: Message edited by: cwasko ]

udecker
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2001, 05:18 PM

kelix -

can you check About IE and tell me the build number (in parenthesees at the bottom left of the about screen)

Thanks!
-uD

<Puma X.1>
Jul 24, 2001, 06:30 PM

i saw puma build 5F24 on hotline but have no burner, can i set it up to install from another partion. i asked this before and someone said yes but never said how

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2001, 07:02 PM

Anyone trying 5F24 on a PowerBook? Does the energy saver panel now have AC and battery settings?
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

<dcantrel>
Jul 24, 2001, 07:06 PM

What was the addy of that hotline server puma?

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jul 24, 2001, 07:07 PM

How about Mail.app? Is there a new one? any new features? Could you snap some shots if there is anything new?

Thanks for the scoopage.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2001, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Puma X.1&gt;:
<STRONG>i saw puma build 5F24 on hotline but have no burner, can i set it up to install from another partion. i asked this before and someone said yes but never said how</STRONG>
I'm getting f24 now. This server's site has a way of installing from an Installer Partitiion. I don't wanna have to split my 2nd HD into 2 partitions and don't know where to find Apple Restpre App. I'd rather burn it, so how do you do that correctly?
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

<Daniel Canaris>
Jul 24, 2001, 10:31 PM

There are still three things I hate about Puma:

Finder Floating Windows (ie Inpector, View Options), Finder Preferences and System Preferences.

They are an utter mess. If Apple cleans them up, I'll be quite happy. Here's my solution:

System Preferences:

Put it back as it was before! Combine General, Dock, and Desktop Pictures into 'Appearance' with a tab interface.

Combine Users, Login and Sharing into Multiple Users with a Tab interface! Oh, and instead of 'Automatic Login' make it a radio button to 'Turn Multiple Users Off/On' and it sets it for you automatically.

Finder:

Fix up the Preferences. I don't know how, but it just looks so UGLY. And integrate View Options into Inspector, because it is kind of 'property' isn't it?

normyzo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2001, 11:05 PM

Looks like they are above 5G5 right now, this was in Darwin bug reports... Usually the build numbers get 'future released' but I guess they missed it this time.

Bug #: 2722943
&lt;GMT24-Jul-2001 19:05:16GMT&gt; S.W.:
Core OS CCC Approved. Tested on F26 and G5 - some seeded to AppleCare.

Anyone know anything about this one? It probably won't show up on Hotline servers (if it gets out) for a week or so.

<stupid login system>
Jul 24, 2001, 11:41 PM

I've got 5f24 and I'm getting stuck at the setup screen after it's finished installing. I've got a country list but half the screen is covered by blue so I can't get to the continue button. It won't let me quit until I run through the setup or I have to shutdown. I'm on an ibook 2. Any suggestions?

<Daniel Canaris>
Jul 25, 2001, 12:03 AM

Can you force quit Setup? You were able to do that in the PB. Not sure about the later builds.

<stupid login system>
Jul 25, 2001, 12:06 AM

Nope, force quiting does not work. I tried reinitializing and reinstalled, no luck. I even booted into single user mode, deleted the Intro.bundle that was causing problems but I couldn't get it to get past the blue screen. Where is the startup pref. for the setup assistant? I can figure out how to set up all my stuff on my own. I'll see if I can track that down and get rid of it. Any other suggestions?

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2001, 03:18 AM

It might also just be a downpart of installing pirated, buggy system software, i have to give it to you peoeple who install these, you are very brave!!!!!!
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

rocky2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2001, 04:29 AM

I have exactly the same problem on a G4+ 733 MHz 'old model' with 512 MB of RAM with build 5F24. The Welcome screen is half blued out so I cannot select the correct country registration. Just selecting USA for example and then pressing return produce a default bong. Quitting the setup procedure just gives the option to Shutdown. In addition, it was a struggle to get even this far because I was getting kernel panics at startup until I pulled the second ATi PCI Radeon card and ACARD 6260M PCI card.
Build 5D15 runs fine and handles the two added PCI cards with no problems although network setup is broken because here is no way to enter the subnet mask and router address from the setup GUI. I hate to rain on the parade but this build (which I know is old) does not feel appreciably faster than 4Q12 on this relatively fast machine.

kelix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2001, 04:40 AM

[Offer has expired was for a limited time only!!!]

[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: kelix ]

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2001, 05:11 AM

In the newest builds, can you reformat a Mac-formatted floppy disk in a USB SuperDisk drive to DOS format?

Also, did they ever fix that bug where lines of text wrap differently in Cocoa apps than in Carbon and Classic apps? I'm finding it annoying; I much prefer the Carbon/Classic way.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

<Hornet>
Jul 25, 2001, 05:16 AM

Kelix, im an aussie cabler, but its cool, its coming down the line

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2001, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Daniel Canaris&gt;:
<STRONG>�and instead of 'Automatic Login' make it a radio button to 'Turn Multiple Users Off/On' and it sets it for you automatically.</STRONG>
But what if you have more than one user on your system and you want it to automatically log in to one of the accounts?

Automatic Login is not only for single user systems.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

DasDaSein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2001, 06:40 AM

Right after installation of 5F24 I encountered a really strange application folder in my trash. It was the one way back from public beta times - I allways did a clean install and did several installations from then, all DPs, 10.0, 5D15, 5F7 and now 5F24. Is this strange??

But this wasn't too bad, because I also found the old Battery Monitor app useable from that folder, and 5F24 comes without the battery dockling (didn't find the demoed menuebar symbol as well)

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Jul 25, 2001, 07:23 AM

For those interested, scroll wheels seem to work in every app (including carbon apps such as the Finder, iTunes, ...).
"Sing you fools ! But you got it wrong..."

<Daniel Canaris>
Jul 25, 2001, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by JLL:
<STRONG>

But what if you have more than one user on your system and you want it to automatically log in to one of the accounts?

Automatic Login is not only for single user systems.</STRONG>
Display a dialog 'You have more than one user account. Which user do you want to startup in... please enter the username and password'.

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2001, 07:52 AM

Anyone look at that poor excuse for a program called "Address Book"? The version that came with 10.0.x has to be the worst and I've read rumors that Apple was going to improve it (not too hard).

So? Is Address Book any better?

For example...

can it print?
can it sort?
can it have additional fields in the list view?

Yea can you believe that Apple would even consider sending out an app that could do even the bare minimum stuff (listed above).

D

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2001, 08:52 AM

<STRONG>

Display a dialog 'You have more than one user account. Which user do you want to startup in... please enter the username and password'.</STRONG>
What if you have one account but don't want it to log in automatically for security reasons?

Turn Mulitple Users on? How intuitive
JLL

<Daniel Canaris>
Jul 25, 2001, 09:35 AM

How bout we call it 'Turn Login On/Off'... and 'Login Preferences'... that make you happy?

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2001, 10:22 AM

<STRONG>How bout we call it 'Turn Login On/Off'... and 'Login Preferences'... that make you happy?</STRONG>
Well it's almost what it's called now: 'Automatically log in' and 'Login'
JLL

<sapiens>
Jul 25, 2001, 03:21 PM

I had the same problem with the first registartion screen (F24 build), no Continue button. etc. So I installed F24 over 5D15, i.e I did not do a clean install. After that I was able to boot ok and everything works fine EXCEPT I cannot open the System Preferences. It crashes.

<5f24>
Jul 25, 2001, 03:29 PM

So no one has figured out a way around the half-blue setup assistant screen?

Aldie G
Jul 25, 2001, 04:02 PM

I have exact the same problem with 5F24..
The friggin and now famous half-blue setupscreen problem.. It's driving me mad.. A solution? Anyone?
Maybe we should copy some files (prefs?) from our 10.0.4 copy to 5F24, so that the setup app doesn't have to be run?

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2001, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Lord Kronos:
<STRONG>For those interested, scroll wheels seem to work in every app (including carbon apps such as the Finder, iTunes, ...).</STRONG>
YES!!! It's about time.Finally I can use my scroll wheel consistently I for one and very happy about this! Thanks for the good news!
Regards,
Dave

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2001, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Aldie G:
<STRONG>I have exact the same problem with 5F24..
The friggin and now famous half-blue setupscreen problem.. It's driving me mad.. A solution? Anyone?
Maybe we should copy some files (prefs?) from our 10.0.4 copy to 5F24, so that the setup app doesn't have to be run?</STRONG>
Boot into single user mode, mount fs in rw mode, and touch /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone

udecker
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2001, 05:27 PM

ok - our local TV affiliate just broadcasted an old simpsons re-run that was a whole musical thing...

and at the end, after showing musical clips from older simpsons episodes, they make a joke about old shows doing a clip-show, and they bring down a banner which has "The Simpsons Clip Show #4 '5F24'" on it.

Episode 5F24.

I just... well... noticed...

god I'm a geek.

-uD

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2001, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by udecker:
<STRONG>ok - our local TV affiliate just broadcasted an old simpsons re-run that was a whole musical thing...

and at the end, after showing musical clips from older simpsons episodes, they make a joke about old shows doing a clip-show, and they bring down a banner which has "The Simpsons Clip Show #4 '5F24'" on it.

Episode 5F24.

I just... well... noticed...

god I'm a geek.

-uD</STRONG>
Don't feel bad, I was watching Wayne's World 2 last night and at the very end Garth's nerdy girlfriend is carrying a Unix book. I said to myself "hey a unix book" about a minute before Garth said the same thing.
Regards,
Dave

<Mosco>
Jul 25, 2001, 05:58 PM

Re: iTunes
Itunes in this build is 1.2f5 and has no equalizer.

I haven't had any problems. Installed and started up fine. A couple bugs, but the best build so far. The Airport admin utility actually works for unlike the other builds i tested. they updated almost everything, mail app, ie, software update is cooler. The address book has not been updated. Great build.

<Half blue welcome screen>
Jul 25, 2001, 07:26 PM

If you are suffering from this problem with build 5F24, you can get a taste of what the build is like by fresh installing build 5D15 and then installing 5F24 WITHOUT formatting. It just updates the necessary files and then restarts without going through the Welcome setup. HOWEVER, it leaves System Preferences broken so there's not much playing around with the system can be done. BUT the build is very snappy on a 733 G4+ 'old model.' Most applications like IE, Mail, etc. launch in less than 2 bounces. If this is a sign of the future, I am feeling more optimistic but wish there were more native applications coming out sooner. AW6.2 on X is a buggy piece of rubbish and when MS says a fall release for Office 10, that probably means sometime in February next year for a bug-prone first iteration. (They still haven't got X drivers for the Optical Intellimouse for heaven's sake!)
Now to erase this pirate code and crawl back to 4Q12 (ugh).

<solution>
Jul 25, 2001, 07:51 PM

SOLUTION TO HALF BLUE SETUP ASSISTANT SCREEN ON 5F24

1 . Boot into single user mode by holding cmd-S on restart (or any startup).

2. Mount the filesystem as read-write by following the instructions
printed on the screen after you boot into single user mode.

3. Type 'touch /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone'.

4. Type 'reboot'.

5. Boot off the install CD again and use Password Reset to give root a
password.

6. Reboot and login as root; setup your system and add users as necessary.

a french guy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2001, 04:51 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Mosco&gt;:
<STRONG>Re: iTunes
Itunes in this build is 1.2f5 and has no equalizer.
</STRONG>
I think you forget a number , iTunes in 5F24 is 1.1.2f5n well at least for me...

macmicke
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2001, 06:02 AM

Well I would like to give thanks to those who figured out how to bypass the blue screen setup window. However, i still have one problem. Root isn't activated in OS X client, is this so also in 5F24. Because when I try to enable root by setting a password in single user mode (according to apples tech info lib), my machine stops with a blue screen and a pointer, no respons whatsoever.
Perhaps there is a default root password?
Would be grateful for any assistance...

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: macmicke ]
The real MacMicke�

a french guy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2001, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by macmicke:
<STRONG>Well I would like to give thanks to those who figured out how to bypass the blue screen setup window. However, i still have one problem. Root isn't activated in OS X client, is this so also in 5F24. Because when I try to enable root by setting a password in single user mode (according to apples tech info lib), my machine stops with a blue screen and a pointer, no respons whatsoever.
Perhaps there is a default root password?
Would be grateful for any assistance...

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: macmicke ]</STRONG>
1) Open NetInfo Manager
2) Domain -&gt; Security -&gt; Authenticate
3) Enter your Administrator Password
4) Domain -&gt; Security -&gt; Enable Root User
5) Then follow the instruction on the screen, easy

Hope it helps

macmicke
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2001, 06:49 AM

Well. Its really not that easy. U see the problem lies in that there is no Admin account to log in to. This is a fresh new installed 5F24. To bypass the problem with the setup screen which is half blue you have to mess around in single user mode (see above) when this is done you can start up the computer up to the login panel. Here is where the problem begins. There exists no user account to log into, hence you can not use netinfo manager to set a root password. The solution should then be to once again log in as a single user and set a root password. But when following the instructions on Apples Tech info lib, i end up with another blue screen. Which I cant seem to leave...
My hope is twofold, either there is a default root password (as in other *nixes) or there is another trick in singel user mode that someone knows...
Anybody??
The real MacMicke�

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2001, 07:11 AM

Can somebody please mail me the addy of that hotline server, pleeeaaaaase. [email protected]

<gz>
Jul 26, 2001, 08:42 AM

To change the root password after bypassing Apple Setup in 5F24, boot with the install CD and select the option "Reset password.." after this, reboot and log as root with the new password.

<solution>
Jul 26, 2001, 09:29 AM

macmicke, did you look at the post TWO MESSAGES above your original message (meaning that it would have been the 2ND TO LAST POST at the time you posted)?

macmicke
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2001, 09:31 AM

Thank you!
I must confess. I missed the last steps of your excellent walk through guide. I must have been blind, or to eager....
Any way I am grateful for your answers...

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: macmicke ]
The real MacMicke�

uochris
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2001, 11:20 AM

I just noticed that Macosx.org removed their review of 5F7 at the request of Apple legal. They really didn't have anything that wasn't already revealed at Macworld but still removed it from the site. Is that why so few people have been posting experiences with new builds here or are there just not that many people installing them. I thought there would be quite a bit more first hand accounts than this.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/
Apple doesn't read these message boards. If you have a complaint or suggestion for OS X send feedback where it will do some good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules