Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Blue Screen Problem in 5F24

Blue Screen Problem in 5F24
rlorenc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2001, 01:57 PM

I know this has been discussed before, but during setup of OS X.1 (5F24) I get the screen where I am supposed to input my location. I cannot continue past that screen, however, as half of the screen is just a solid, blue color. Enter or return does not work. Help please!

KevinRose
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2001, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by rlorenc:
<STRONG>I know this has been discussed before, but during setup of OS X.1 (5F24) I get the screen where I am supposed to input my location. I cannot continue past that screen, however, as half of the screen is just a solid, blue color. Enter or return does not work. Help please!</STRONG>
I had this problem too. But only on my new ibook. The full install worked fine on my Power Mac.. Here is one way to get around it:

Install 10.0.4
Put in 10.1 and reboot holding down C
Install 10.1 as an Upgrade (dont format HD)

This skips all the country info etc because you already put that in 10.0.4.... Enjoy.

-K
- K

rlorenc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2001, 02:37 PM

Is there any other way around it?

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2001, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by rlorenc:
<STRONG>I know this has been discussed before, but during setup of OS X.1 (5F24) I get the screen where I am supposed to input my location. I cannot continue past that screen, however, as half of the screen is just a solid, blue color. Enter or return does not work. Help please!</STRONG>

Not to be rude, or anything, but Scott H. (one of our beloved Moderators) has continually asked that we not discuss installation of Pirated/unreleased software here.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

KevinRose
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2001, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by SirCastor:
<STRONG>

Not to be rude, or anything, but Scott H. (one of our beloved Moderators) has continually asked that we not discuss installation of Pirated/unreleased software here.</STRONG>
The software being discussed in not pirated or unrleased. Our company recieved the 10.1 development seed.
- K

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2001, 03:41 PM

Well.. it still is unreleased. And if you are talking about 10.1 here, you are breaking your NDA.

Think about it

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2001, 03:43 PM

Even worse you are under NDA!
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

macmicke
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2001, 04:06 PM

The answer to the question lies a few threads back, called "Info on 10.1 5F24", look at the third or fourth page of the thread. The solution is not as simple as stated above, the system preferences wont work after the above stated solution.

NDA is that some form of narcotics?

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: macmicke ]
The real MacMicke�

<chill out>
Jul 31, 2001, 04:36 PM

Install 5f24 as you normally would and when it starts to boot up hold cmd+s to go into single user mode. Then type:

1) mount -uw /'
2) find / -name "intro.mov" -print
3) cd /the directory for intro.mov
4) mv intro.mov intro1.mov
5) reboot

When the selection for country comes up, find the continue button a press it as fast as you can otherwise you'll get the blue screen again. If you do, just reboot and try again til you get it. After you get past the first screen you'll be ok.

<non-NDA>
Jul 31, 2001, 07:28 PM

I got the following workaround for this problem:

Just install the OS, then when rebooting make sure to place your cursor in the bottom-right of the screen. This is where the continue button appears. It's only visible for a second or so before the bluescreen, so be quick to hit it. After this the next page of 'setup-assistant' appears. From here you can just go back to previous page.

Forum Links
Forum Rules