Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.0.3 ssh bug?

10.0.3 ssh bug?
bushwhacker
Jun 5, 2001, 07:50 PM

Hello.

I'm running an OSX machine as a web/db server and I've just found an interesting behavior. On boot I log into the machine locally to start some daemons (apache, ssh, mysql). And when I'm logged in, everything works.

However upon me logging OUT of the local machine I can no longer ssh in remotely.

If I'm logged into the actual machine, I can ssh in from a remote machine. If I log out of the local machine and just leave it at the log in screen, I canNOT log in remotely. furthermore, if I was logged in remotely when I logged OUT locally, then my remote session goes to hell. It doens't log me out but I get weird errors regarding /etc/master.passwd and bootstrap loaders.

Any ideas? It's very weird. I'd like to leave the server with nobody logged into it if I could. It makes my life easier.

Anyone have a clue about this?

when you look this good, you don't have to know anything

<knagou>
Jun 5, 2001, 08:06 PM

you have apple SSH or you installed openssh yourself ?
I'm running base 10.0.3 apple ssh and it works logged or not

bushwhacker  (op)
Jun 5, 2001, 10:03 PM

either way I get bugs.

I upgraded to 10.0.3 and apple's ssh worked. I also installed openssh2.9 and was using that for a while. But since the upgrade, openssh2.9 is having trouble getting ssh2 to work. it complains about the host_key. I need ssh2 here so I ran the apple one and it was working, but when i log out of the machine locally, it all goes to hell.

weird.

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2001, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by bushwhacker:
<STRONG>either way I get bugs.

I upgraded to 10.0.3 and apple's ssh worked. I also installed openssh2.9 and was using that for a while. But since the upgrade, openssh2.9 is having trouble getting ssh2 to work. it complains about the host_key. I need ssh2 here so I ran the apple one and it was working, but when i log out of the machine locally, it all goes to hell.

weird.</STRONG>
I'm not sure I can help you with the logged-in problem (I'll try it tomorrow). I'm running the OpenSSH 2.9p1 (latest) and I HAD the host_key problem as you did. Have you read the manual on the website? did you add the line that they mentioned to the config file? (I don't remember exactly, but it is required for the SSH software to recognize the correct key. RTFM, sorry.

:o
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

macmicke
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2001, 10:48 AM

The first implementation of ssh in macos x was started from the shell, and telnet shut of from the system preferences. How ever that has changed with 10.0.3 (where I had a similar problem to yours). When tryin to connect remote ssh didnt respond. But when I tried telnet that service was running. So I telneted in and started ssh and killed the telnet daemon. It now worked until I logged out, then the telnet daemon started again and ssh failed to launch. I had to enable remote login from the software preferences. Then it worked. Strange... Dont know if this helps..

btw, rtfm doesnt really apply on MacOS X. Cause there aint no F* manual yet
The real MacMicke�

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2001, 11:42 AM

<STRONG>Hello.

...On boot I log into the machine locally to start some daemons (apache, ssh, mysql). And when I'm logged in, everything works.

However upon me logging OUT of the local machine I can no longer ssh in remotely. ...</STRONG>
Are you starting these things are root and running them in the background? Sounds like you needed to add sshd to the unix start up scripts.

bushwhacker  (op)
Jun 6, 2001, 12:23 PM

I'm logging in (as root), starting the daemons in the background (i.e. sshd &, apachectl start, safe_mysqld &) and then logging back out again.

all of the other daemons continue to work, but ssh craps out. so I log back in and ps waux | grep sshd and it's still running. so I kill it, restart it, STAY logged in, and it works fine.

I haven't had time yet to try what macmicke suggested. I will be heading over the the openssh site today to give it a try. Perhaps that will be the better solution.

As far as apples ssh daemon, it's just not working if I don't stay logged in. I could add ssh to the startup scripts, but I'm not sure that would achieve anything new that I'm not getting by starting the daemon myself.

Thanks for everyone's support, it's been very helpful. I appreciate it.

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2001, 12:37 PM

<STRONG>I'm logging in (as root), starting the daemons in the background (i.e. sshd &, apachectl start, safe_mysqld &) and then logging back out again.

all of the other daemons continue to work, but ssh craps out. so I log back in and ps waux | grep sshd and it's still running. so I kill it, restart it, STAY logged in, and it works fine.

I haven't had time yet to try what macmicke suggested. I will be heading over the the openssh site today to give it a try. Perhaps that will be the better solution.

As far as apples ssh daemon, it's just not working if I don't stay logged in. I could add ssh to the startup scripts, but I'm not sure that would achieve anything new that I'm not getting by starting the daemon myself.

Thanks for everyone's support, it's been very helpful. I appreciate it. </STRONG>
Sorry for this quick note, I'm running outta the house:
you shouldn't need to add SSH to your startup scripts. SSHD deamon should load whenever someone tries to log in using SSH. Also, does your hostconfig file have the line SSSH =-YES-= ? (something like this).
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules