Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iSub, iStick, Cube?

iSub, iStick, Cube?
macmicke
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2001, 01:20 AM

So this has probably already been discussed, but I couldnt get the search function to work...Well anyway hope nobody flames me for asking.
Does the iSub work ONLY with the iMac. Is there no way to get it to work with the Cube?
Does the iStick replace the iSub?
The real MacMicke�

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2001, 01:46 AM

I just bought the iSub for my G4 (Dual 800) to complement the Apple Pro Digital Speakers.

I guess they are OK sounding, could have more control of the bass though.

Yes, the iSub is compatible with the G4 Cube, QuickSilver and Digital Audio models, plus the past 2 or 3 models of iMacs. As long as you have a free, powered USB port, your oK.

As for the Soundsticks(?) and the iSub. The soundsticks are from harmon/kardon, which consist of the stereo speakers and the iSub. these connect to an audio out port. While the iSub connects to a USB port, basically the iSub and subwoofer (iSub?) are made by the same company Harmon/Kardon. You should be ok with the iSub

Jamie
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2001, 08:15 AM

Check out the harman/kardon website for tech specs etc. It's also very entertaining to see the Mac products sitting next to the butt ugly PC products.

Jamie

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2001, 09:38 AM

Although the H/K units are peices of art....they are far more expensive and don't sound that great for the money.

I suggest you check out http://www.polkaudio.com/multimedia/ , I have the AMR 50s (cheap!) and they sound absolutely awesome, way better than the iSub/SoundSticks combo.

Then again they are not nearly as eye pleasing as the H/K stuff....

Arty50
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2001, 02:39 PM

Here's the scoop:

The iSub is compatible with the slot loading iMacs and with any PowerMac/Cube running the Apple Pro Speakers. Mac OS will detect the presence of the iSub and sort the proper frequencies to all the components.

The iSub is not the same as the subwoofer that comes with the Soundsticks. This is a completely different model and the two are not interchangeable. It's too bad, because most people consider the iSub to be superior.

My advice would be to get an iSub if you have the Apple Pro Speakers already. The iSub is pretty cheap right now. Otherwise, if you want to get better sound go with some 3rd party manufacturer. Most reviews say the soundsticks are great, but only if you're sitting right inbetween them. Other speaker systems out there sound better and can provide clean sound over a much larger listening area.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Mojo @ work
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2001, 03:02 PM

MacOS 9 (I dunno about X, but I guess it would be the same.) can only address one USB audio device at the same time. So, you could use either the iSub or the Sphere speakers that come with your Cube, but not both at the same time.
-Mojo the Monkey

godzappa
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2001, 03:05 PM

I have the Soundsticks, they sound very very nice (crisp and clear) and look a treat. However theyre not the loudest in the world. If you want loud I guess the best answer is to hook your mac into an amp.

FYI the Soundsticks connect to your Mac via usb. The satalite speakers are RCAs that plug into the back of the sub.
PowerMac G4 DP867 [DDR]
PowerMac G4 400 [Yikes]
15GB iPod 3G
iSight
2003 MINI Cooper

<macmicke>
Sep 21, 2001, 04:42 PM

I seem to get conflicting answers here...
camali says that he uses the iSub to complement the apple pro speakers (spheres) and mojo says u can only use one or the other.

Mojo @ work
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2001, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by &lt;macmicke&gt;:
<STRONG>I seem to get conflicting answers here...
camali says that he uses the iSub to complement the apple pro speakers (spheres) and mojo says u can only use one or the other.
</STRONG>
Well, we're sorta both right. But Camali is missing one part of the puzzle. You see, he's talking about using the Apple Pro Speakers with his Tower.

The Cube doesn't come with the Apple Pro Speakers. The Apple Pro Speakers use some wierd proprietary plug that Apple came up with and they only work with some of the newer G4 Towers. They don't connect using USB, so there is no problem with a Tower- Pro Speakers- iSub setup.

The "sphere" speakers that come with the cube are different than the Apple Pro Speakers. They connect using USB, and they have that funny little black box built into the cable that you can plug headphones into. Since the Cube's "sphere" speakers connect using USB, that is where you get into trouble.

I've seen several instances of people using the iSticks with their Cubes. That's not a problem, since both the sticks and the subwoofer connect to the Mac using just one USB connector.

Hope this helps.

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Mojo @ work ]
-Mojo the Monkey

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2001, 05:30 PM

Time out.

The sphere speakers of the PowerMac G4 (digital audio and QuickSilver) and the Cube do not connect to the CPU in the same fashion. They connect to the Cube via USB, and they connect to the PowerMac via a goofy little 1/8th inch mini-plug.

Adding an iSub to a Cube will not work, since it and the sphere speakers are both connecting via USB, and, as Mojo@work said, the OS cannot handle more than one USB audio device at one time.

macmicke, your only choice is to use the SoundSticks since they plug-in via one USB port. In fact, you are limited to USB input only with the Cube. You can connect any analog speaker system to the Cube using something like Griffin's iMic.

If you think about, the using the iSub with an iMac/G4 is not much different than the SoundSticks. Just the analog/digital splitter (or whatever it is) is fully contained in the woofer of the SoundSticks (rather than a separate amp in the iMac or G4). Perhaps this is why the SoundSticks' lows aren't as beefy as the iSub alone.

That said, I have the SoundSticks connected to my Pismo for office listening. They sound great, but I wouldn't want to power a house party with them.

{edit: Mojo beat me to the punch
}

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: scottiB ]
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

macmicke  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2001, 02:35 AM

I am very greatful for all of your answers. And I think that I will Buy the soundsticks.

A greatful MacMicke
The real MacMicke�

Forum Links
Forum Rules