Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > undocumented keyboard shortcuts...post yours!

undocumented keyboard shortcuts...post yours!
graveguy
May 31, 2001, 02:20 AM

I love keeping my hands on the keyboard and dread the cumulatiev milliseconds wasted every time I have to reach for the mouse...not to mention the wear and tear on my thin, weak, nerdy, aching wrist...

I would love to see some posts about 'non-obvious' keyboard shortcuts...I'll get it started with a nice one that I found tonight...in Terminal...option - right arrow (and option - left arrow) will cycle through the open windows! I know you can do this using the apple-number shortcuts available in the 'window menu' but I am always forgetting which window was opened first...using the arrows allows me to cycle through the windows in a much more intuitive manner, similar to 'apple ~' in Explorer (a GREAT shortcut in its own right!)...

-GraveGuy

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 31, 2001, 04:42 AM

Not really keyboard-shortcuts, but time saving features in the Termanal:

I assume everybody knows about pressing 'tab' in Terminal ? It completes the path that you've typed, or presents a list of alternatives.

eg: cd /Us<tab>/an<tab>/Do<tab>/P<tab> is a quicker way of typing:
cd /Users/andy/Documents/Programming/

also, '~' can be used for your home directory (/Users/<yourusername>/)

Another neat Unix command: 'pushd' and 'popd' - if you are in a directory, and need to quickly go to another directory, but you know you will want to come back to your present one after, type 'pushd <directory path>'. When you are done, just type 'popd' and you will be back where you started.

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2001, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
I assume everybody knows about pressing 'tab' in Terminal ? It completes the path that you've typed, or presents a list of alternatives.
it doesn't finish there. 'tab' also works for the command. try typing 'app' + 'tab', you'll be given a list of choices, try typing 'appletv' + 'tab' and it'll complete your input to 'appletviewer'

macmicke
Forum Regular
May 31, 2001, 07:56 AM

I dont know which ones are undocumented, but here�s a bunch i use daily:
In Terminal ctrl-l does the same as the command clear.
cmd-h hides the active application. Same as alt click outside active application to hide.
cmd-e eject mounted volumes (the ones you mark).
cmd-l in omniweb opens the url text field for input, great if you run OW without any flashy buttons.
cmd-r refreshes macnn sites in omniweb, when I need to see if someone has posted anything new...
cmd-w to close windows.
cmd-m to minimize to dock.
Of course, I do use cmd-tab to circle through active apps.

[This message has been edited by macmicke (edited 05-31-2001).]

[This message has been edited by macmicke (edited 05-31-2001).]
The real MacMicke�

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
May 31, 2001, 12:13 PM

I find "Command-~" to be pretty useful when navigating the Finder.

And Command-Opt-Esc is a lifesaver.

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

sharumpe
Jun 4, 2001, 01:59 AM

I've found that, on my PowerBook (G3 - Firewire) fn-cmd is the same as hitting the power key; that is, it brings up the sleep/restart/shutdown dialog.

Mr. Sharumpe

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2001, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by gorgonzola
:
<STRONG>I find "Command-~" to be pretty useful when navigating the Finder.

And Command-Opt-Esc is a lifesaver.

</STRONG>
Wow cool I never knew about the command ~ thing before. Thanks!
Regards,
Dave

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2001, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by sharumpe:
<STRONG>I've found that, on my PowerBook (G3 - Firewire) fn-cmd is the same as hitting the power key; that is, it brings up the sleep/restart/shutdown dialog.

Mr. Sharumpe</STRONG>
That's pretty interesting.

Here's one thats absolutely useless, but interesting nonetheless. Click on a meny and let it drop (don't hold the mouse down) then press the right and left arrow keys. Pretty cool huh? But then try pressing down to actually use the menus and you'll soon realize that it won't work. It seems like Apple started something and never finished.

<iAgus>
Jun 4, 2001, 01:47 PM

Try Shift-clicking on the hide toolbar widget (the oblong one at the right of the window). Customizations at hand!

honeydew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2001, 12:48 AM

I just posted this in response to another topic, but it makes sense to put it here as well. Sorry for the cross-post.

In Mail I use the spacebar to quickly view multiple messages. Pressing the spacebar acts like a "page down" in the current message. When the end of the current message is reached, pressing space bar again goes to the next message in your mailbox. Very handy.

Here's another one I just remembered. In Mail and other Cocoa applications (OmniWeb), command-clicking on the toolbar widget cycles between "icon and text", "icon only", and "text only" modes. Command-option-click on the toolbar widget to open the customize palette.

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: honeydew ]

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jun 5, 2001, 01:09 AM

Get LaunchBar immediately. Immediately, I tell you.

Spent 5 min with it and can't live without it already. Funny how the best software comes from the old NeXT developers.

Did I say immediately?

You'll understand how it is when you try it.

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: gorgonzola ]
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

itomato
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2001, 01:40 AM

If you're looking for Terminal shortcuts, I suggest doing a 'man tcsh' 'man bash' or whatever shell you're running..

You could always dig around on the net for OPENSTEP or RHAPSODY interface shortcuts, if you're truly needy.
-- | T () /\/\ /.\ T () --

Macnerd
Jun 5, 2001, 04:57 AM

Here's one most users will probably know but I'll post it anyway. Holding down option while a menu is selected will often bring up an alternate or modified version of the menu item, for example: In OmniWeb, hold down option from the FILE menu, it changes "Save As..." to "Save As RTFD" and "Close" to "Close All". The next time around you can just forget about the menus altogether and use the shortcust instead. I still love opening a window with the option key held down so the one behind closes itself - It's kept me in good stead for years. Once you want to navigate backwards just hold the command key down while clicking on the window's name in the menu bar. if you no longer want the newest window, then also hold the option key down while doing this. Works a treat. I use Command - Tab a lot for moving through dock items and Command - H for hiding stuff. I like the Command M one too (minimise).

Macnerd.

Forum Links
Forum Rules