Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Omni! A game to port?

Omni! A game to port?
macmicke
Forum Regular
May 31, 2001, 08:34 AM

My favorite game used to be Duke nukem. Just love the bizarr humor in the game, but its getting a bit old. Now it seems a sequel is close; Duke nukem forever. Maybe this would be something for omni to port to the mac platform.

The real MacMicke�

SYN
Senior User
May 31, 2001, 11:00 AM

Duke Nukem Forever has been "close" for over 3 years now... It's kind of an inside joke of the games industry

------------------
Soyons realistes, demandons l'impossible.
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

macmicke  (op)
Forum Regular
May 31, 2001, 01:20 PM

Im aware of that. Im one of the suckers thats been waiting for it :/
But anyway, they showed of a pretty impressive movie at the E3, and it really sounds like its getting near completion.
BTW im one of the softwareupdateklickingwaitingforthisfriday sucker who�l buy any rumor....

The real MacMicke�

macmicke  (op)
Forum Regular
May 31, 2001, 01:27 PM

Sh*t, Damn back button..

[This message has been edited by macmicke (edited 05-31-2001).]
The real MacMicke�

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 07:57 PM

Well, I hope this thread stays alive and is read by some of the people at Omni; perhaps some other people would post some games they'd wish ported? If there's *one* game I'd like ported it'd be Carmgeddon II. ha ha, that game is just damn good! Some older games like all the Dooms, Quake I and II, and Wolfenstein work damn near perfectly in classic so those don't need to be ported. But how I'd love Carmegeddon II for X!

Rickster
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2001, 01:42 AM

If you tell us that you'd like us to port this game or that, the best response you can expect is "yeah, we'd like to port that too." The decision to port to the Mac (or Mac OS X specifically) rests in the hands of those who own the publishing rights to the games.

So, if you want to see DNF (or Black & White, or Max Payne, or whatever) on Mac OS X, don't petition us -- talk to the publishers. Feel free to point out that porting straight to Mac OS X has its benefits. (For example, the Cocoa-Core-BSD route can be a lot shorter than the Classic/Carbon one. If you can port faster, you can get a Mac release date that's much closer to the PC one -- and your Mac sales will benefit from the marketing push for the PC version. See Tim's article in the June issue of Game Developer for more.)

--Rick @ Omni
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

macmicke  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2001, 03:43 PM

Just want to say thanx to Omni. It really feels good when the ones coding your programs actually moves in the same forums as the rest of us (mere mortals).
Now I have to send a mail to Georg Brousard (I think his name is) I want DNF (If it ever is finished)
The real MacMicke�

macmicke  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2001, 12:15 PM

This is the reply I got from Broussard.
"I'm sure there will be a MAC version of DNF if the game looks to be successful.� This is one of those things that would be decided just prior to DNF shipping.� We did have MAC versions of our past games like Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem 3D."
So obviously they wont be trying to do a mac/pc launch. We will most certainly have to wait.
I did point out the benefits of a joint mac/pc launch. But as you can see there was no response to those parts of my mail..
Im not sure if I should interpret this as good news or just sad...
The real MacMicke�

Forum Links
Forum Rules