Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OmniWeb 4.0.1

OmniWeb 4.0.1
dark3lf
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 08:35 AM

This new version is the best yet and even boots in about half the time as 4.0. It even handles Java a lot better, you can now type into text fields, although whether or not the target Java applet will actually work is a craps shoot. AppleInsider's DigiChat works just fine, but TechTV's Chat does not work, but it does load half way, which is better than the 4.0 betas. DSLReports java speed guage even works! I just got this, so that's all I've had time to test. Any more comments?

macmicke
Forum Regular
May 31, 2001, 08:39 AM

Still wont work with outlook webmail (need it for companymail) Goin to try maconomy java over the web....Nope didn�t work, although now it at least loads a black square..
Otherwise OW is still the no 1 browser, and getting better..

[This message has been edited by macmicke (edited 05-31-2001).]
The real MacMicke�

griffman
Senior User
May 31, 2001, 09:06 AM

Is the update released? I don't see it on Omni's site nor on VersionTracker? Where'd ya find it?

-rob.
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-built OS X hints and tips site.

SYN
Senior User
May 31, 2001, 10:58 AM

Yeah, where'd you guys find it???

------------------
Soyons realistes, demandons l'impossible.
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

MadBrowser
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2001, 11:34 AM

It's in private beta testing... Should be out soon though.

milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2001, 12:25 PM

Not really private. ;-) If you want it now, look a few threads down (on OmniWeb crashes) and there's info on how to find it only. It is in sneaky peek mode, so treat it as a beta. It's nice to be able to fill out forms reliably though.
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

Brazuca
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 12:46 PM

Well, since its on a /pub/ dirdctory I'm assuming it's okay for me to post this:

Link to 4.0.1: http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/out...b-4.0.1.dmg.gz

------------------
Support us Veterans...
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

SYN
Senior User
May 31, 2001, 02:12 PM

tried that a couple of hours ago (had the link cashed in OW...) and I hope it's not final. It gives ma a pipe error on every other web page...

------------------
Soyons realistes, demandons l'impossible.
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

NeilCharter
Senior User
May 31, 2001, 03:47 PM

4.0.1 is great - feels zippier and mre responsive (handles the corners well!).
Some of the icons in the toolbar don't show up but who cares - this is getting very close to being good for most purposes.

Quicktime now works which is useful.

Take a look at this video of the Apple Store opening - pretty groovy:
http://www.apple.com/retail/grandopening/video/

Neil

If I had a signature, it would look something like this

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2001, 04:09 PM

Quicktime works for viewing, but you still can't save a Quicktime file (no pop-up menu appears).

Omni, please, please fix this!
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

gregomni
Forum Regular
May 31, 2001, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by bcaslis:
Quicktime works for viewing, but you still can't save a Quicktime file (no pop-up menu appears).

Omni, please, please fix this!
We'd love to. We're trying to figure out what the deal is there with the support of Apple's QuickTime people. Basically we're just loading the plugin and displaying its contents in our window - we're not doing anything special at all to support or not support the pop up menu. (And we're not doing anything special about the volume popup either, and it works, so we're quite confused about the whole thing...)

Regarding the sneakypeek directory: this is for interim releases that we do every couple days (basically any time we have a specific bug fix for someone that we want them to try out). Anyone who wants to can feel free to download these versions, but they are _not_ necessarily going to be very stable. (We don't break stuff on purpose so they won't necessarily be _less_ stable either, but the sneakypeeks haven't gone through any quality assurance whereas the real releases have.)

Greg

Nai no Kami
Senior User
May 31, 2001, 07:27 PM

Greg or other pals out there. I have problems attaching documents with Yahoo! mail when using OmniWeb. Does anyone have the same problems? Is the people at Omni acknowledged of this?

thank for your answers

(All your attachments are belong to us) Oops!, I said it.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

JB72
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 10:11 PM

I'd like to try it myself but it seems the Omni server is slammed!

Re: the QT save issue. Weird problem. I wonder how other non-IE browsers handle this? I wish Apple would devote someone to sort this out for Omni, as they're really making Apple look good during this time of transition.

------------------
JB71.39.2b

"Your software is up to date."

spledekowitz
May 31, 2001, 10:27 PM

Hi guys, awesome release, yet again!

Had a Q for ya:

Anyone have trouble using itools homepage builder. The list on the first page that has all of your pages listed does not work for me. It does not display anything and it is making it difficult to go about my business. Java trouble here on Apple's end? Do others have this problem?

Speddy

Rickster
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2001, 01:21 AM

Anyone have trouble using itools homepage builder.
The "iDisk choose file" (for lack of a better name) part of iTools is one of the more difficult things for OmniWeb to support right now -- it really "pushes the envelope" in terms of JavaScript / CSS abilities. Ironically, its goal in doing so is to produce a rather simple Aqua-style UI in browsers that don't use native Aqua widgets in web pages. Since OmniWeb does, a functionally identical interface could likely be implemented with much simpler code.

That said, there are two avenues that could be pursued towards making iTools work right:
  • If they find that enough people are using OmniWeb, Apple could write an OmniWeb-specific implementation of this UI.
  • We could continue improving JavaScript, CSS, and other technologies in OmniWeb.
Obviously, we intend to do the latter anyways. However, the level of technology support needed for this feature may be quite a ways off. We're hoping to get a good level of JavaScript/CSS compatibility in 4.1 later this summer, but full compatibility with the nastier CSS2 stuff may not be possible or feasible until 5.0, when we rewrite the HTML engine completely.

[This message has been edited by Rickster (edited 06-01-2001).]
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2001, 03:02 AM

Originally posted by Rickster:
We're hoping to get a good level of JavaScript/CSS compatibility in 4.1 later this summer, but full compatibility with the nastier CSS2 stuff may not be possible or feasible until 5.0, when we rewrite the HTML engine completely.
Troz! A rough timeframe?

ui gui
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 03:05 AM

the biggest problem i have is the video viewer at cnn.com. it can hang the whole system, bad enough that you can't bring up the force quit dialog. and why don't the new plug-ins work? quicktime is still flaky and most flash sites don't work, often reporting that i don't have flash 5, which is right there in the main library folder. the plug-ins preferences seem to indicate that flash is handled internally? don't get me wrong, i only begrudgingly launch ie from time to time, but when the updates come so fast i want on the list!
i'm not signing anything

ablaze
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2001, 04:29 AM

For German Users: You have to rename the "Favorites" in your Bookmarks into "Favoriten" to get them showed up.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2001, 07:24 AM

For German Users: You have to rename the "Favorites" in your Bookmarks into "Favoriten" to get them showed up.
That should be a bug, I think. Switching the language should have no effect functionality.

There's another minor bug in the german version of the search dialog.

And there's that annoying bug, that if a JavaScript pops up a window without the toolbar and you show it with the toolbar window widget, it also shows the favorites bar (which I would like to keep hidden since I don't like it).

OmniWeb 4.0 couldn't log into a usa.net e-mail account, but I can not check if it has been fixed, because it's my girl friends account.

Where do you report these bugs?

Developer

PS: And last but least there's www.wetter.de of course. Those idiots think that OmniWeb doesn't support Flash and if you click "I'm a Linux user and my browser does support Flash" (sic!) they think OmniWeb doesn't support frames! :-/
Where's the "Punch webmaster into face" button that every standard compliant web browser so desperately needs?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

wingdo
Senior User
Jun 1, 2001, 08:53 AM

Well, I installed it last night. 4.0.1 still does not render the front page of eBay correctly either.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2001, 09:46 AM

Oh and the default shortcut (*) now defaults to www.%@.de and it doesn't let me change it back to www.%@.com.

Developer
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Jun 1, 2001, 10:29 AM

ughhh! 4.0.1 is great, but it crashes everytime I go to forums.macnn.com....

Dogma
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2001, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by macmicke:
Still wont work with outlook webmail (need it for companymail) Goin to try maconomy java over the web....Nope didn�t work, although now it at least loads a black square..
Otherwise OW is still the no 1 browser, and getting better..

[This message has been edited by macmicke (edited 05-31-2001).]
I found logging onto my web mail account was OK. I assume you're using Exchange Server at work? (I logged in first time and I couldn't see the mailbox, but that happens regularly, one quick refresh and it was back to it's old ugly self!) Tell us what version of Exchange Server you guys are using, cos we're using 5.5 SP3, which is rock solid.

------------------
�I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganising; and a
wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion,
inefficiency, and demoralisation� - Petronius Arbiter 60A.D. (heh,heh, no-one's commented yet!)
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

Sinemacula
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2001, 04:40 PM

I continue to love OmniWeb. But, the 4.01 update has slowed down my launch times. Okay, based on what I've read of others' experiences, I probably shouldn't complain, but OW has gone from a 4 bounce launch to a 10 bounce launch. Any ideas why I might experience this when others have indicated faster launching?

Sinemac
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz; 4GB RAM; 23" Cinema Display
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

mar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 06:30 PM

Only problem with OW 4.01 is the same as when they went to the final version, now when you click a link in mail it opens in the front most window of Omniweb and not in a new one like it used to. Frustrating to go to Omniweb open a new window then back to mail to click the link. I also wish the window caskading could be turned off, I liked that the windows didn't move.

Also is it possible to add the old netscape feature send page I really loved that one not like IE where you only sent the link but the whole page opened in your mail app.

Otherwise keep up the great work

------------------
Michael Riedel
R I E D E L Photography
p: 360.649.6763
f: 360.297.5473
e: [email protected]
w: http://www.accessone.com/~mar/
Michael Riedel
R I E D E L Photography
p: 360.649.6763
f: 360.297.5473
e: [email protected]
w: http://home.earthlink.net/~riedelphoto/

gregomni
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2001, 07:34 PM

ui gui: and why don't the new plug-ins work? quicktime is still flaky and most flash sites don't work, often reporting that i don't have flash 5

We aren't currently able to load the flash 5 plugin (due to some Java issues and a Netscape standard for JavaScript-Java integration called "Live Connect" that I can go into detail about if you are truly interested). So instead we have our own built-in Flash plugin based on Macromedia's public Flash 4 source code. That's kinda flaky, and we'd much rather use the Flash 5 plugin, and will eventually.

For Quicktime, I've heard that there are some issues with sound playback in the kernel that can cause these hangs. Apparently it happens with IE as well, so I don't think we can do much about that ourselves.

ablaze: You have to rename the "Favorites" in your Bookmarks into "Favoriten" to get them showed up.
Developer: That should be a bug, I think. Switching the language should have no effect functionality.

Absolutely it is a bug. We're aware of it and will be fixing it - it just isn't there for 4.0.1.

Developer: Where do you report these bugs?

Send e-mail to [email protected]. (Or click on the Help | OmniWeb Feedback Page menu item.)

wingdo: Well, I installed it last night. 4.0.1 still does not render the front page of eBay correctly either.

Looks okay to me. What are you seeing that is wrong?

Sinemacula: But, the 4.01 update has slowed down my launch times.

Probably the app isn't prebound on your system. (There is no way to deliver an app that is correctly prebound right now since the prebinding information includes the modification dates of every framework that the app uses, and everyone will have different dates because they did Software Updates at different times.)

You need to put OmniWeb in /Applications (another limitation of Apple's prebinding stuff - it needs to specify a particular location), then re-prebind it using something like XOptimize (find it on versiontracker) or the command-line.

gregomni
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2001, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by mar:
Only problem with OW 4.01 is the same as when they went to the final version, now when you click a link in mail it opens in the front most window of Omniweb and not in a new one like it used to. Frustrating to go to Omniweb open a new window then back to mail to click the link. I also wish the window caskading could be turned off, I liked that the windows didn't move.
The opening a new window thing is a preference. It should be a _different_ preference, because it is keyed off of a preference that is only vaguely appropriate, but it is there: go to 'Bookmark' preferences and change the radio button for 'When using menus or separate windows:' from 'use the existing main browser window' to 'open bookmarks into new browser windows'.

For the window cascading, we have a hidden preference called "OAWindowCascadeDisabled" that you can turn on via the command line or a utility like TinkerTool. The command line would be:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb OAWindowCascadeDisabled YES

(These are mentioned in the release notes, btw) :-)

honeydew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2001, 10:43 PM

Hello.

Overall I am very happy with OmniWeb 4.0.1, but there is a nasty window ordering problem that bothers me. Let's say I'm using Terminal and OmniWeb is in the background with two open browser windows, A and B. I click browser window A to activate it and bring it to the foreground. Browser window A becomes active as it should, but browser window B jumps to the front!

The result is that the desired window (A) is obscured, and the front-most window (B) is inactive and does not accept input. Very confusing. Here's what it looks like:

I notice this behavior whenever I am browsing with multiple windows and click to activate Omniweb from another application. Has anyone else experienced this? I am running Mac OS X 10.0.3.

(Hmm. My Dock just quit and re-launched itself. Maybe there is something wrong with my System?)

ui gui
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2001, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by honeydew:
Hello.

Overall I am very happy with OmniWeb 4.0.1, but there is a nasty window ordering problem that bothers me. Let's say I'm using Terminal and OmniWeb is in the background with two open browser windows, A and B. I click browser window A to activate it and bring it to the foreground. Browser window A becomes active as it should, but browser window B jumps to the front!

The result is that the desired window (A) is obscured, and the front-most window (B) is inactive and does not accept input. Very confusing. Here's what it looks like:

I notice this behavior whenever I am browsing with multiple windows and click to activate Omniweb from another application. Has anyone else experienced this? I am running Mac OS X 10.0.3.

(Hmm. My Dock just quit and re-launched itself. Maybe there is something wrong with my System?)
it does the same thing to me. i always have two slightly overlapping windows open, so i notice this all the time. in osx apps should let you bring individual windows to the front, omni seems to have done this on purpose, it just doesn't work quite right yet i guess.
i'm not signing anything

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2001, 01:44 AM

Well, I really like OW. But I do have some major issues with the "snappyesness" of the browser. When I click on a link I only get the visual cues after about 1 second. Even the menus sometimes take forever to register my choice.
I'm on a G4/400 agp with 448 ram. Anyone else experiencing this? Its very frustrating because I use the web a lot and these things slow me down are confusing (did I click on the link?)
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2001, 01:55 AM

My biggest problem with OmniWeb is definitely its unresponsiveness. When it's loading a page and I decide I don't want to go to that page after all, I click stop, nothing happens. So I click it ten more times. Nothing happens anyway until eventually the page clears, showing a partial render of the next page. Then the stop button starts flashing and I can't do anything until it stops. Once it does, of course I have to press the back button which is equally unresponsive -- but I've learned not to click it more than once. I do the same thing in IE and it stops instantly, no need to go back (and when I do need to go back, it's definitely much faster).

Another thing I dislike very much is that contextual menus don't work! What I mean is that clicking and holding on a link should bring up a contextual menu. Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. Usually I'm waiting for the menu so I can open the page in a new window; I definitely do not want to load the page in the current window. But when when the menu doesn't appear, there is no way to let go of the mouse button without loading the page in the current window. (So I have to go through the familiar stop-back ordeal.) There are two problems here:
  • The menu doesn't appear when it should, and
  • There is no way to cancel loading a link once you've pressed the mouse button down on it. In IE if you move the mouse away before you release the button, then the page doesn't load - and this is how OmniWeb should do it.

[Edit: Actually, the second problem in the list is more serious since I've been training myself to control-click to use the menus. It happens all the time to me, especially when I'm in a hurry and press the mouse button down on a link by mistake. Another time it happens is when I'm dragging the window by the menubar and I accidentally hit the little link icon. Once I've pressed down, there's no way to prevent OW from reloading the page.]

[This message has been edited by tie (edited 06-02-2001).]
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2001, 01:59 AM

There is a nasty window ordering problem that bothers me.
I would guess that this is an OS X bug, not Omni's. It happens all the time with me when I'm switching between Classic and native apps (any applications, including OW). But I've never seen it switching from the Terminal so maybe we're seeing different things.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

honeydew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2001, 02:17 AM

tie, the standard way to cancel a drag action is to drag and drop onto the menubar. For example, if you accidentally "pick up" a link or document proxy icon with the mouse, just drop it onto the menubar to cancel the drag.

macmicke
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2001, 02:34 AM

Im not sure what version of Exchange is running on the company servers, i�l have to check. However, it seems I have a different problem. I can log in without a hitch every time, and I can see my mailbox. But when I trie clicking the mail, nada... I tried cmd-clicking the link, getting it in a new window but it just sits there saying: "Loading javascript"

Originally posted by Dogma:
I found logging onto my web mail account was OK. I assume you're using Exchange Server at work? (I logged in first time and I couldn't see the mailbox, but that happens regularly, one quick refresh and it was back to it's old ugly self!) Tell us what version of Exchange Server you guys are using, cos we're using 5.5 SP3, which is rock solid.
Im sure OW will have all the functionality I want soon enough. Good work Omni.
The real MacMicke�

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2001, 08:25 AM

tie, the standard way to cancel a drag action is to drag and drop onto the menubar. For example, if you accidentally "pick up" a link or document proxy icon with the mouse, just drop it onto the menubar to cancel the drag.
I figured this out too, eventually.

It's a workaround, but NOT a solution.

I realize that links are draggable so that you can stick them on the Dock or elsewhere, but perhaps they should only be loaded if dragged to the address field (rather than anywhere in the window)?

Discuss.

-chris.

------------------
...the original Genie Junkie�

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2001, 12:34 PM

OmniWeb should accept drags within the same window only after the dragged link (or image for that matter - very annoying if you try to select text and catch those "null.gif"s or "spacer.gif"s) is moved out ouf the HTML view and back into it.

That would be much more error tolerant. Being able to drag an object from the HTML view directly into the address field is fine.

Developer

honeydew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2001, 07:34 PM

While we are on the subject, the proxy icon in an OmniWeb window title bar is too easy to drag accidentally. In Carbon and Mac OS 9, you need to click and hold for a short amount of time before the proxy starts to drag. This prevents accidentally dragging the proxy when you meant to drag the window by its title bar. The Cocoa implementation doesn't seem to have this little detail.

I also have a problem with OmniWeb's responsiveness, which I think other people have pointed out. OmniWeb "freezes" when rendering complex pages and doesn't show any feedback to clicks or keystrokes. If I open several complex pages at once (by command-clicking 5 forum topics, for example), the whole application basically locks up for about 10 to 20 seconds while the pages render. Ouch! Spinning color wheel of death!

[edit: typo]

[This message has been edited by honeydew (edited 06-02-2001).]

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2001, 09:43 AM

For Quicktime, I've heard that there are some issues with sound playback in the kernel that can cause these hangs. Apparently it happens with IE as well, so I don't think we can do much about that ourselves.
Every single QT movie I try viewing has sound problems. It's like listening to something when you are under water. I have never experienced anything like it in IE so...
Other than that the OW is great and the 4.0.1 release has finally made me remove the IE icon from my dock. Great Job guys !

dark3lf  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2001, 12:22 PM

I have a question about flushing the cache. I use OW on a G4 with 448 megs, but after about 1/2 hr of using OW, it starts to get really slow and seems to eat up a lot of memory. Flushing the cache works for about 5 minutes, but the best way to bring it back to its usual responsiveness is to quit and restart the app. Why is this happening? Is there a better solution? Can anything be done about it?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2001, 02:41 PM

Once Omniweb is compatible with my wachovia online banking, I think IE might mysteriously dissapear from my Powerbook. The new version of IE works, but Omniweb doesn't. Is this a Flash problem, or what? I am glad that the newest version of IE works there now, preventing me from loading Classic. I just can't wait for OW to work there, it's one of the important sites I visit.

Omniweb is still beautiful compared to IE. Great job, guys. When is the next update coming out?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2001, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by dark3lf:
<STRONG>I have a question about flushing the cache. I use OW on a G4 with 448 megs, but after about 1/2 hr of using OW, it starts to get really slow and seems to eat up a lot of memory. Flushing the cache works for about 5 minutes, but the best way to bring it back to its usual responsiveness is to quit and restart the app. Why is this happening? Is there a better solution? Can anything be done about it?</STRONG>
This was the case for me until 4.0.1, which apparently fixes a "memory leak."

Are you using 4.0 or 4.0.1?

-c.

dark3lf  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2001, 07:21 AM

This has always happened for me and is actually worse in 4.0.1.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2001, 07:47 PM

I'm having a problem where mpegs, instead of playing in a window, download to my desktop? Movies seem to play fine at Apple's site, but other sites they just download to my desktop? Is this happening to anyone else or are there some settings I need to change? javascript: x()

he he.... I just like this smilie face so I'm gonna use (sorry for the useless end to, at least for me, an important question. I've just always wanted to use this smilie and haven't before.) javascript: x()

Peace,
Jim

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2001, 07:49 PM

I wonder why my smilies didn't work? *sigh*

<ArkAngel>
Jun 4, 2001, 09:16 PM

OmniWeb never quits for me when requested to. I must always use Force Quit. Do any of you have this problem?

Thanks

CodeWarrior
Jun 4, 2001, 10:50 PM

I really like OW 4.0.1. One feature I just discovered is the drag and drop customize function (add Start Page, Print, ...). Overall, very nice. I'll work with it and see if it will work as my everyday browser.

I can't wait for 4.1.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2001, 12:06 PM

The rendering of MSNBC.COM is now MUCH better! However, it still has a few quirks. Namely, the section at the top of the page, immediately to the right of the MSNBC logo doesn't display. It is supposed to rotate through the major headlines and breaking news, but it only displays the blue background. Also, the page allows you to enter your zip code near the bottom of the page and hit the GO button to display local weather, news, and sports. Unfortunately, this isn't working either. Other than that, the site renders wonderfully. Great progress ... but looking forward to these remaining fixes.

Also, I'd like to reiterate what others have reported regarding the problems with Outlook Web Access. Like others, I am able to log in and display my inbox ... but whenever I click on a message nothing happens. It is supposed to open a new browser window and display the message but it simply doesn't work. The STRANGE thing is ... for me this USED TO WORK in OW4 RC1! In fact, that's one of the reasons I started using OW4 ... it worked while the first preview release of IE5 didn't. Unfortunately, for some strange and unknown reason .... once OW4 RC3 came out, it stopped working and hasn't worked since.

OAW

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Jun 5, 2001, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by &lt;ArkAngel&gt;:
<STRONG>OmniWeb never quits for me when requested to. I must always use Force Quit. Do any of you have this problem?

Thanks</STRONG>
I had that problem, too. A reinstall of OW seems to have fixed it.

I still have another problem, though:

I can't find a way to get new windows to open in my main screen. I have a powerbook with an external monitor set as the main screen. I select save window size while the window is in the external monitor, but the next window always opens on the powerbook's LCD. Actually, if no windows are open, a new window opens on the LCD. If any windows are already open, a new window opens on the main screen (CRT). I want them all to open on the CRT. Can anyone help?
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2001, 08:21 PM

I use Omni for everything, nearly... but two of my 3 fave sites (the thinr being macnn) don't work - planetarion.com and ansir.com both suffer from cookie problems! I need to keep IE open to use these (and IE classic at that, as IE X has a Java bug that stops ansir.com working).

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

<displayed name>
Jun 8, 2001, 08:48 PM

Here's a link that causes OmniWeb 4.0.1 to crash automatically (so be careful clicking it if you're not in IE ): http://ssv.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/browse.cgi . The crash catcher opens but doesn't send a report; maybe someone else can report this? Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules