Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is there a free VPN client for OS X?

Is there a free VPN client for OS X?
MoKoNa^
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2002, 09:30 AM

Im looking for a VPN client to use on my school's W-Lan, It has to handle the win2k server internal VPN server...
Will os 9 clients give me network access if I launch them in classic?
PuuPuPuuu!

RealMadrid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2002, 09:37 AM

Hi:

Long time ago I started the same question. Back then there was apparently no solution. The only way I found was using "Tunnelbuilder" together with "Dave". That at least worked in OS 9. Hopefully there has been some change meanwhile.

A couple of days I read there is a VPN client for Cisco 3000 Router available but as to my understanding that is of little help for accessing MS networks.

Regards
Check out www.basasoft.com products:
CodeLine (Do Cocoa programming in BASIC)
BasaOne 2.0
AFDragHandler 1.1
BasaOne Web Classes

drmbb2
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2002, 10:25 AM

Does this help? - http://www.webthing.net/vncthing/

There is also a server side package - www.osxvnc.com (I think ?)

Cheers, Michael
"No footprints when we're gone. Only where we've been, a faint and fading glow" Bruce Cockburn

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2002, 10:43 AM

For the records, drmbb2 has his TLAs mixed up.

VPN= Virtual Private Network- a way for a remote machine to connect to a router/access point, authenticate, and gain access to a network that it otherwise would be protected from.

VNC= Virtual Network Computing- a cross platform protocol that allows remote computers to be viewed and controlled, as seen within a window on a client computer. It's conceptually similar to Timbuktu, PCAnywhere or GoToMyPC.com.

The lack of VPN clients for OS X is annoying. I wonder how hard it would be to port a unix client, assuming they're out there.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2002, 04:18 PM

I am also looking for a VPN client.. Particularly for use with the CheckPoint SecuRemote.

MoKoNa^  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2002, 12:50 PM

Well there must be a bsd client somewhere? That must be possible to port pretty easily... Won't it? It's not like it's appletalk...
PuuPuPuuu!

MoKoNa^  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2002, 01:21 PM

Found a port of a vpn client supporting pptp on http://members.blackbox.net/a/programs/pptp/

It doesnt support encryption though...

PuuPuPuuu!

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2002, 01:31 PM

The lack of VPN clients for OS X is annoying. I wonder how hard it would be to port a unix client, assuming they're out there.
Talk your administrators into putting in Cisco VPN concentrators. There are OS X clients for both the 3000 and 5000 concentrators.

Wade

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2002, 02:50 PM

I also need a VPN client for my OSX laptop to connect to a Win2000 server. Is there anything available? I checked the program at blackbox, and it wouldn't work for me. Is there anything available in 9??? I find it hard to believe that no one has made a MS VPN client for the macs.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

MoKoNa^  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2002, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by jokell82:
<STRONG>I also need a VPN client for my OSX laptop to connect to a Win2000 server. Is there anything available? I checked the program at blackbox, and it wouldn't work for me. Is there anything available in 9??? I find it hard to believe that no one has made a MS VPN client for the macs.</STRONG>
For OS 9 there are quite a few, like Tunnelbuilder from efficient networks, check it out.

Also I just found this great page about vpn's and macs...
You can find that here.

By the way, the protocol used by windows is called pptp, if anyone finds a pptp client with encryption for mac os x, post a link as soon as possible...

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: MoKoNa^ ]
PuuPuPuuu!

rrongstad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2002, 09:41 AM

Wade,

I have the latest Cisco vpnclient (3.6 I believe) and it was working great under 10.1.5, but 10.2 killed it. I've seen posts saying that the Cisco vpnclient works under 10.2 for some people, but I don't know what magic is required to make it work.

Rob

macmicke
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2002, 10:22 AM

Why hasnt any one mentioned 10.2's built in VPN client? The Networkconnection app has a VPN client that works with microsofts VPN solutions (pptp) I use it everyday without a glitch. You also have Pie pants for 10.1....
The real MacMicke�

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2002, 10:42 AM

Well well. The Swede from Solna is very correct. 10.2 has VPN support built in, v.neatly. That is basically free. Go VPN away...
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2002, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by macmicke:
Why hasnt any one mentioned 10.2's built in VPN client? The Networkconnection app has a VPN client that works with microsofts VPN solutions (pptp) I use it everyday without a glitch. You also have Pie pants for 10.1....

Well... VPN like most things that call themselves a 'standard'... VPN is far from 'a standard' or what I like to say...

Standards are a WONDERFUL thing **AND** you have so many to choose from!

MS VPN
Cisco VPN
IPSEC
ete etc etc...

The VPN that's included free with Jag works okay (but no split tunneling near as I can tell) for MS style VPN but doesn't do a lick-o-good for VPN ala Cisco and getting the company you work for to just up and switch from one type of VPN to another just ain't gonna happen (in a multi-platform environment at any rate).

Dave

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2002, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by macmicke:
Look at the date of the post, 1/27/02 for mine. At the time there was no Jag. However, now I use the VPN in jag, and it works great.

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2002, 04:23 PM

glad someone pointed it out 10.2 had it.
i remember Jobs mentioning built in VPN support at MWNY.
was going to suggest it...but someone beat me to it.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

kman42
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2002, 04:34 PM

What about an IPSEC solution? Anything available?

kman

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2002, 07:33 PM

I have used the built in VPN in 10.2 - and its great, BUT

internet connect connects almost immediately, but then IE takes FOREVER to load pages from work - and it will ONLY load pages in the VPN, and they usually don't finish. Any help? I will try netscape and see if its any better...

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

krove
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2002, 08:12 PM

Yeah, anyword on IPSec? The Mac OS X Jaguar pages over at Apple still list this as a feature, but there is definitely no GUI yet.

Anyway to use it through the command line? Did it even make it into Jaguar?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

OreoCookie
Sep 4, 2002, 09:24 AM

There are two that I know of -- PiePants and VPNConnect.

First of all, to set something clear: yes, there is built-in support for VPN in Jagwire, but no, not for all configurations. In my case, my university uses a VPN for its wireless LAN; the protocoll used is slightly different (described to me as: they use the lesser secure version of the more secure technology).

If you have trouble connecting, try these tools. I use PiePants and have no problems at all.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules