Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Where should I buy my new iMac?

Where should I buy my new iMac?
mrtaxman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2006, 04:34 PM

I'm going to buy a new iMac in the next couple of days, but should I buy it through the online Apple store or the walk in Apple store? Any advantages either way?

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2006, 04:36 PM

You can't get any upgrades installed at the Apple Store, only memory updates and they cost more that they do online.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2006, 05:12 PM

If you want a stock model, you'll get it sooner from a physical store. If you want upgrades (better video card, bigger hard drive), you'll have to order it online.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

beetleboy
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2006, 05:19 PM

I've bought all my iMacs from Macmall. www.macmall.com
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger
G3 Lime iMac DV 400 Tiger
G3 Snow iMac SE 700 Panther
G3 Graphite iMac DV SE 400 Panther

mrtaxman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2006, 09:03 PM

Thanks for the info, I think I'll buy it online at the Apple store.

kman42
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2006, 09:34 PM

I gave the brick and mortar stores until today to get a 24" in stock. I really want the extra memory and wirelss keyboard so I broke down and ordered online. They say the 28th, but others have received early ship notices.

kman

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2006, 09:53 AM

My CTO iMac 20" with the 256MB of VRAM is due to ship next Friday, September 15th.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2006, 05:41 PM

If you're going to buy stock, Amazon usually has rebates of $100-200 depending on model.

Thunderbird
Senior User
Sep 10, 2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
If you're going to buy stock, Amazon usually has rebates of $100-200 depending on model.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...464164?ie=UTF8

Amazon has the 24" model now for $1849 after rebate. It also indicates on the web site that the RAM is in a single slot rather than both slots. Easier to upgrade that way without throwing away RAM.

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2006, 06:08 PM

I wouldn't recommend buying from Apple directly. I bought a G4 iMac from Apple and it had a dead pixel in the center of the screen. I returned it for an exchange, and they wouldn't do it as they said it was 'within spec.' I got my money back (less 15% restocking fee) and bought one at Microcenter. I asked them if it had a dead pixel and I brought it back, would they exchange it. They said absolutely. For as much as these machines cost, I expect my display to be flawless.
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

mrtaxman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2006, 09:29 PM

You know cwosigns, you bring up a very good point. Last November 05’, I bought a 60 Gig video iPod that I thought had a few issues. The two main issues being the battery life and the case that seems to scratch if you look at it wrong. I brought my concerns up with Apple and their attitude was it’s your now, so live with it! I might checkout the Mac Enthusiast and see their return policies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules