Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook for designer?

Powerbook for designer?
viaChgo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2004, 04:59 PM

Hi there,

New to the forum!

I was wondering if the Powerbook 12 will be sufficient as a primary computer. I'm a designer so I'll be running InDesign, Photoshop, etc. I'm currently a PC user but want to switch!

I would potentially gut a separate display for the bigger screen for home use. Is this a good idea? Should I get the 15"?

Thanks!

manero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2004, 05:40 PM

Welcome! (I'm also brand new to the forums)

I'm planning on doing web development with my PB, and I think the 12" is a little underwhelming in the screen resolution area, so I'm aiming for the 15". If you're going to be doing most of your work at home, connected to a separate display, you'll probably be fine... but if you're on the road, I'm not sure 1024x768 would be big enough to be good for serious design work "on the go".

I'm sure other people would say the opposite, but I tend to be a snob when it comes to screen real estate...

Just my $0.02

skelotar
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2004, 05:53 PM

Find a way to get the educational discount if you don't already have it and get the 15". I'm getting it for simular reasons and i've spent an inordinate amount of time at the apple store comparing the two.

The 12" is just on the small side, but its doable. The weight issue of the 12" vs the 15" is only an issue for my 3 year old sister so take that one out of the equation before it even comes up.

Get the 15" and you'll thank yourself later. Better yet, go to the apple store and compare for yourself.

CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2004, 06:12 PM

I tried both the 12" and 15" for design and the 12" is the one I bought. For serious design even the 15" screen isn't big enough, so why bother? My setup is usually either a dual monitor setup or a 20" studio display. I need a lot of room for photoshop palettes.

And since my most common dual screen setup had a second monitor running 1024x768 to hold my palettes the 12" fits in *perfectly*.

nate_02
Senior User
Aug 5, 2004, 06:44 PM

Personally, the 15" is the smallest I would go for graphics if your're always on the go. I do a lot of Photoshop work for broadcast and it seems like i am moving windows around quite a bit already. I'm sure you could make it work just fine on a 12", but it might take a bit longer to maneuver around.

Like CubeWannaB said though, you can alway attach an external display to it.
-nate

Afrodizzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2004, 01:07 AM

i'm an interactive multimedia designer, and as some of the posts have mentioned, you'll proabably be doing most of your design work using a dual monitor setup (neither the 15" or 12" will do as standalone really) but as a designer chances are you'll be doing a fair amount of out-of-the-office kind of work (client meetings, presentations, brainstorming in the park etc..)and for that stuff you'd LUV the 12"... it doesn't get any more poratable than that baby.. (yes i do own one, hehe)

Top 10 Reasons Why I Procrastinate:

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2004, 07:32 AM

If you can afford the 17, do so. It really does the job. It practically eliminates the need for an external monitor. It's also very quiet and the larger frame does a great job of dealing with heat.
Either way, consider the 15 or 17 if only for the ram. You can get up to 2GB in a 15 and 17 but not a 12.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 10:01 AM

15" is my recommendation. I use it for Graphic Design all day every day, and I can't imagine having to work on a 12" ... I carry it to work everyday (30 min walk) and work on it. It's perfect, I've got 0 complaints ...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Forum Links
Forum Rules