Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook + Cinema Display help!!

Powerbook + Cinema Display help!!
tpxstyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2004, 10:04 PM

I just got my beautiful Cinema Display 23" in the mail today, and it is GORGEOUS.... anyways down to the problem..

i want to use the display with my AlBook 15". Is there anyway to have the cinema display run as the primary monitor and to disable the powerbook screen? the reason i want to do this is that the powerbook seems to run EXTREMELY hot when i have the cinema display connected.

any help would be appreciated

thanks!!

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 10:28 PM

close the lid, get an external mouse and keyboard. connect the monitor, turn it on, and move the mouse or press a button.
iamwhor3hay

jocker
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2004, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
close the lid, get an external mouse and keyboard. connect the monitor, turn it on, and move the mouse or press a button.
Surely having the powerbook lid closed will generate even more heat!!! I doubt whether driving the powerbook screen will offset the amount of heat generated by having the lid closed.

My tuppence.
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2004, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by jocker:
Surely having the powerbook lid closed will generate even more heat!
Not when the backlight is off.

ibook_steve
Sep 30, 2004, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by jocker:
Surely having the powerbook lid closed will generate even more heat!!! I doubt whether driving the powerbook screen will offset the amount of heat generated by having the lid closed.

My tuppence.

I know people hate reading the manual, but here's something everyone needs to understand: if it's in the manual, it's OK to do! Closed lid mode is clearly described in the manual. The machine is designed to handle the heat. If it ever did get too hot, it would automatically go to sleep. If that were the case, either you're in a very hot environment or then, and only then, could there be something wrong with your Powerbook.

I hate to constantly say it, but RTFM!

Steve

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 07:55 PM

I was nervous to use my 12" with closed lid operation, but after accidentally going through a 2 hour session, I didn't notice any heat build so I'm confident in saying that it's safe to keep the PB closed during operation of an external screen.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2004, 08:06 PM

I just got my beautiful Cinema Display 23" in the mail today, and it is GORGEOUS....
Enjoy it! Can you please let me know if it has the well known "pink cast" problem? If it doesn't can you tell me where you purchased it, I've been looking to purchase one of the new 23" Cinema Displays but every single one of them I've seen has that pink cast problem. This was at Apple Retail Stores as well as CompUSA.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2004, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by CubeWannaB:
Not when the backlight is off.
most of the heat comes from the GPU.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 1, 2004, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by striker100:
Enjoy it! Can you please let me know if it has the well known "pink cast" problem? If it doesn't can you tell me where you purchased it, I've been looking to purchase one of the new 23" Cinema Displays but every single one of them I've seen has that pink cast problem. This was at Apple Retail Stores as well as CompUSA.
How do you tell?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2004, 04:03 AM

Yep, closed-lid operation is absolutely safe.

I use a 20" ACD with my 12" PowerBook this way. Even when I play demanding 3D games the PowerBook never goes above 65C/149F, but the fan runs full blast.

Btw, I couldn't see any temperature difference between running with dual screens or with only an external screen. Also, opening or closing the lid had no influence.

Forum Links
Forum Rules