Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Creating a 10.1.2 Installer CD...

Creating a 10.1.2 Installer CD...
Brit Ben
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2002, 03:14 PM

Hi all,

I have some questions.

I want to put 10.1.2 and the dev tools, itunes, iphoto and upgrades onto one CD that will travel with me. It obviously doesnt all fit. If you remove all the non-english language options, and all the spurious lproj text files for non-english installs, you can actually get the whole lot onto an 80 minute CD. (In theory)

So, you can create a 700 Meg image file like this (I think):

hdiutil create -megabytes 700 -layout CD Installer.dmg

Then you try to mount it, and get the uninitialized dialog, so when you attempt to initialize, it fails due to the fact that the image is read only.

1) How do I get a blank CD format imge file, containing all the drivers etc at 700 Meg (or whatever it needs to be to be burnt onto an 80 minute CD)

2) How do I copy the contents of my installer CD to this new image file. ditto appears to break all the resource forks. A lot of BSD unix permissions need to be maintained during this copy procedure.

3) How does the eventual dmg file get converted to a raw image file for writing to a CD ?

Many thanks for helpful suggestions. If I can make it work, I'll be very happy.

Cheers,
Ben.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2002, 04:07 PM

Check out this thread

That should help you out a lot.

You don't have to use the Terminal to make your own blank image. Use Disk Copy. That can create them. "ditto" will work to copy resource forks but you have to use the flag. I think it's '-rsrcFork' or something. "man ditto" to find out more. If you have the Developer tools installed, at /Developer/Tools/ there is a tool called "CpMac". That will copy and keep resource forks in tact.

Hope this helps.

Brit Ben  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2002, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
<STRONG>Check out this thread

That should help you out a lot.

You don't have to use the Terminal to make your own blank image. Use Disk Copy. That can create them. "ditto" will work to copy resource forks but you have to use the flag. I think it's '-rsrcFork' or something. "man ditto" to find out more. If you have the Developer tools installed, at /Developer/Tools/ there is a tool called "CpMac". That will copy and keep resource forks in tact.

Hope this helps.</STRONG>
Actually, I posted to that thread, but thanks for pointing it out. the -rsrcfork was definately needed.

The rest is the pain. Creating a CD format disk image doesn't appear to be possible from disc copy, and since I am creating a larger image than the install disk, I can't create one from a device.

Sigh. I could try and create one from a 700mb cd though. Hmmm.

Cheers,
Ben.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2002, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Brit Ben:
<STRONG>

Actually, I posted to that thread, but thanks for pointing it out. the -rsrcfork was definately needed.

The rest is the pain. Creating a CD format disk image doesn't appear to be possible from disc copy, and since I am creating a larger image than the install disk, I can't create one from a device.

Sigh. I could try and create one from a 700mb cd though. Hmmm.

Cheers,
Ben.</STRONG>
If only the version of Disk Copy that will be coming with 10.2 was finished. It will have the ability to resize disk images. It doesn't work right now though.

Have you tried using the 10.1.2 combo update? That way you don't need both 10.1.1 and 10.1.2 installers. I'm not sure about which updates you can skip and which you need. I haven't taken the time to test it.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Xeo ]

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2002, 04:50 PM

You can create a CD image with Disk Copy, but it won't be bootable. To make a new image that can be booted from, you need to use the hdiutil command.

Never fear, though - I just tried making a 700 MB image this way, and it worked just fine, and was mounted read/write. What you need to do is, when you initialize the disk, make sure you initialize the blank volume. Don't try to initialize the whole device. Click the little disclosure triangle in Disk Utility, then click on the disk icon with no name. Erase that and I think you should be in business.

[edit: I said "Disk Copy" in a place where I meant "Disk Utility." Sorry for the confusion.]

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: CharlesS ]

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2002, 05:51 PM

OK, I did some checking and here's what I found out. You can use the combo update to save space... but only that extra 14MB the 10.1.1 installer is. The 10.1.2 combo update will install on 10.1 but only AFTER the 10-19-2001 Security update and the Installer update have been installed. Also, the installer on the CD should be updated too if you don't update the CD's OS past 10.1.

The Knowledge Base article I took the info from

Brit Ben  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2002, 01:59 AM

<STRONG>OK, I did some checking and here's what I found out. You can use the combo update to save space... but only that extra 14MB the 10.1.1 installer is. The 10.1.2 combo update will install on 10.1 but only AFTER the 10-19-2001 Security update and the Installer update have been installed. Also, the installer on the CD should be updated too if you don't update the CD's OS past 10.1.

The Knowledge Base article I took the info from</STRONG>

I've been reading all evening, and testing....

unfortunately the combo update does not install on a 10.1 disk, you do need to go through the pain of 10.1 to 10.1.1 to 10.2.

I'm not sure what you mean by upgrading the installer on the CD. In one of my experiments, I applied all these patches to the mounted CD image, and then wandered round for hours removing all the spurious files created in the os that the cd would use to boot.

I'm going to start again from scratch tomorrow, and keep better notes.

Also having terrible trouble getting the internet explorer 5.1.3 update a second time, even after deleting the receipt file and hacking the version number back to 5.1

One interesting discovery I made though.

It appears to be possible to spoof software update into downloading OSX server tools to an OSX client machine. I stumbled across some XML source at apple's website whilst playing, and with the correct files in place on a client, you can persuade software update that you are an installed OSX server :o)

Cheers,
Ben.

Brit Ben  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2002, 02:00 AM

<STRONG>If only the version of Disk Copy that will be coming with 10.2 was finished. It will have the ability to resize disk images. It doesn't work right now though.

Have you tried using the 10.1.2 combo update? That way you don't need both 10.1.1 and 10.1.2 installers. I'm not sure about which updates you can skip and which you need. I haven't taken the time to test it.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Xeo ]</STRONG>
hdiutil is capable of partition resizing right now, but only within the limits of the image size.

Brit Ben  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2002, 02:09 AM

Notes:

1) hdiutil create -megabytes 700 -layout CD -verbose OSX.dmg

2) hdiutil mount -readwrite OSX.dmg

3) Disk Utility, select blank volume, label as "Mac OS X Install CD"
Select erase.

got that bit sorted.
One 700 mb cd layout with all boot partitions, mounted rw.

Now to ditto -rsrcfork the 10.1 update cd to the image...
Ben.

Brit Ben  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2002, 02:45 AM

Double Post

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Brit Ben ]

Brit Ben  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2002, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Brit Ben:
<STRONG>Notes:

1) hdiutil create -megabytes 700 -layout CD -verbose OSX.dmg

2) hdiutil mount -readwrite OSX.dmg

3) Disk Utility, select blank volume, label as "Mac OS X Install CD"
Select erase.

4) Mount the newly formatted image

5) ditto -rsrcFork /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ CD\ 1/ /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ CD/

6) cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ CD/

7) bless -folder "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install CD/System/Library/CoreServices/"

8) find . \( -name "*.lproj" \! -name "English.lproj" \) -exec /bin/rm -rf {} \;

9) cd "Welcome to Mac OS X"

10) rm -rf Deutsch/ Espan\314\203ol/ Franc\314\247ais/ Italiano/ Japanese\ -\ \346\227\245\346\234\254\350\252\236/ Nederlands/

11) rm "Welcome to Mac OS X.pdf"

12) cd "Optional Installs"

13) rm Dutch\ Localized\ Files French\ Localized\ Files German\ Localized\ Files Italian\ Localized\ Files Japanese\ Localized\ Files Spanish\ Localized\ Files

14) Empty Trash

15) df -k says I have 233Mb of free space, Lets Go !!!

16) Copy to System/Installation/Packages

SecurityUpdate10-19-01.pkg
InstallerUpdate1.0.pkg
MacOSXUpdateCombo10.1.2.pkg

17) Copy whatever other packages you want also:

iTunes2.pkg
iPhoto.pkg
AirPort.pkg
DVDPlayerUpdate.pkg

18) find . \( -name "*.lproj" \! -name "English.lproj" \) -exec /bin/rm -rf {} \;

19) Perform the little removal activity inside the Essentials.pkg directory.

Ben.</STRONG>

Brit Ben  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2002, 06:24 PM

EEp.

Forum Links
Forum Rules