Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Sosumi rocks

Sosumi rocks
Colonel Panic
Senior User
Jan 12, 2002, 12:05 PM

I love X . My only gripe is slow 2D speed. The best workaround for this is to drop to thousands of colors. Trouble is, on a bright LCD display Aqua suffers a *lot* in the drop - the transparencies get grainy and ugly and the whole thing looks degraded. it pains me to drop to thousands in Aqua.

So I tried Sosumi b7. Sosumi rocks! Beautiful in millions of colors, and better yet still beautiful in thousands of colors! doesn't lose as much as Aqua by dropping down to thousands.

now I can comfortably drop to thousands of colors, still love the appearance and experience myc better 2D performance.

Very cool. Feels as if I got a recent upgrade after all, despite the keynote's claim otherwise

great work!

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Jan 12, 2002, 12:39 PM

DVD icon disappears.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2002, 01:49 PM

Anyone got strange scroll bar behavior with this theme?

When I click on the bottom of the scroll bar it doesn't go down, in fact it even goes back up

Sine
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2002, 02:16 PM

yup weird bug.. I think the guy who makes Sprocket had a fix for that. I doubt I update Sosumi anytime soon. I have become weary of theming as of here lately. And I am starting to like the Simple theme.

I might get back into it more once Apple gets it's Aqua issues dealt with or supports themeing

Archangel
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2002, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by iNeusch:
<STRONG>Anyone got strange scroll bar behavior with this theme?

When I click on the bottom of the scroll bar it doesn't go down, in fact it even goes back up </STRONG>
Never experienced that bug.

We keep hearing about theme support in X, but nothing has come of it. We only got people like Sine.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2002, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Sine:
<STRONG>yup weird bug.. I think the guy who makes Sprocket had a fix for that.</STRONG>
So it's a real bug... cool though I was crazy

Sprocket? What is that?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2002, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Archangel:
<STRONG>We keep hearing about theme support in X, but nothing has come of it. We only got people like Sine. </STRONG>
Sine isn't the only theme developer in the world.

Don't forget about:

DogHouse Online - Michael Rabe and me
XThemination - Matt Stoton
Desktopper
Takashi Izawa
Yuichi Ogawa
Synotic
John Tewksbury
G3blueboy
Swizcore

I know most of them are at hard-work developing new themes.

HamSandwich
Jan 12, 2002, 06:16 PM

Sprocket is an application you use to edit (actually just display and copy) #pxms of a file.

Anyway, I really do like Sosumi.
Do you know the story of the sound Sosumi? I'll tell you:
Apple Records accused Apple Computer back several years for stealing their name. Apple was not allowed to work in the music industry forever or to do anything about music. Then, the startup sounds and warning sounds appeared in the OS. As they found it incredibly funny, they called the first of all founds: Sosumi = So sue me

:-)

Anyway, is anybody of you a cocoa or carbon developer? We need developers for finishing ThemeShop. This app will make theming a lot easier.

Steve

yukon
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2002, 03:36 AM

Danm, beat me to it. so sue me, or "a light pleasing tone" in "Apple Japanese" =).

where did indigo come from anyway?
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2002, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by SteveJobs:
<STRONG>Do you know the story of the sound Sosumi? I'll tell you:
Apple Records accused Apple Computer back several years for stealing their name. Apple was not allowed to work in the music industry forever or to do anything about music. Then, the startup sounds and warning sounds appeared in the OS. As they found it incredibly funny, they called the first of all founds: Sosumi = So sue me</STRONG>
So cool
Is it real?
Wonder if Windows users have this kind of stories

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2002, 05:34 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG>

Sine isn't the only theme developer in the world.

Don't forget about:

DogHouse Online - Michael Rabe and me

I know most of them are at hard-work developing new themes.</STRONG>
Sorry to tell that but... apart from PEZ which is "In Process", none of the themes Dog House has made were of my taste
I'll check for new ones

In my opinion, Sine is the first one who made a theme that was so close of what Apple could have done for their computer...

Ivan
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2002, 11:40 AM

How can you add different themes to dualiy 3? I have it, but don't know how to add different themes to it. I got one called musix, wish I could use it.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2002, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by iNeusch:
<STRONG>Sorry to tell that but... apart from PEZ which is "In Process", none of the themes Dog House has made were of my taste
I'll check for new ones

In my opinion, Sine is the first one who made a theme that was so close of what Apple could have done for their computer...</STRONG>
Yeah, that's why he hired me to do all of the design work from now on. Surged X is one of the first theme in developing. Matt Stoton will be responsible for PEZ and its color series.

Apple wouldn't dare to make something like Sosumi. It's so original and classic and Apple is attempting to think different in this situation. I'm sure 70% or more of us will rather Aqua over Sosumi. Am I right, Sine?

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2002, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Ivan:
<STRONG>How can you add different themes to Duality 3? I have it, but don't know how to add different themes to it. I got one called musix, wish I could use it. </STRONG>
Never heard of that theme... anyways.. you should just be able to drag the theme to the window, select it and press switch, log in and log out.

Also, Duality has .theme support right? Well I tried dragging DSX onto it.. it would grind for a couple seconds.. and nothing would appear.. not even a blank item like it does sometimes. And yes, I have the .theme parser on. Well at least MetaMorphX 3/4 work nicely 4 is sooo cool.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2002, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Ivan:
<STRONG>How can you add different themes to dualiy 3? I have it, but don't know how to add different themes to it. I got one called musix, wish I could use it. </STRONG>
Musix appears to be a funny theme, and it doesn't pick up on its file type...

Just drag it to Library/Themes and you'll be fine. 3.01 will fix all the copy problems most likely.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Chet Ript2.0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2002, 01:21 PM

Is MMX 4 out yet? I keep hearing it mentioned on this board but I've yet to be able to dl it. I tried Duality and I get the spinning rainbow cursor of death if I have anything but aqua running.

Originally posted by Synotic:
<STRONG>Never heard of that theme... anyways.. you should just be able to drag the theme to the window, select it and press switch, log in and log out.

Also, Duality has .theme support right? Well I tried dragging DSX onto it.. it would grind for a couple seconds.. and nothing would appear.. not even a blank item like it does sometimes. And yes, I have the .theme parser on. Well at least MetaMorphX 3/4 work nicely 4 is sooo cool.</STRONG>
I have been upgraded.

Forum Links
Forum Rules