Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Terminal Is Going Insane

Terminal Is Going Insane
nforcer
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2002, 04:47 AM

I went to use the Terminal today, and suddenly it seems to be stuck. Key presses simply cause beeps and don't display anything, and every new window created has "[Process Completed]" in the command line with a window title of "Completed Command". The Run Command menu item isn't doing anything either.

So far I have tried relaunching the terminal, relogging in, and trashing the terminal preferences, but none of that has worked.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem, or how to return my terminal to normal?
Genius. You know who.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2002, 05:01 AM

It sounds like either your default terminal is screwy or your terminal startup commands are. You can check your default terminal using NetInfo Manager. Take a look at users/<your username>, if I recall correctly.

You may have a bad command in your tcsh startup file, which I think is called /Users/<your username>/.tcshrc (I use bash, so I'm not sure). If you can log in as a different user you can examine your version and change it if necessary by su'ing to your username. If not, you can try logging in as the user >console (no password). If that doesn't work, you'll have to reboot and hold cmd-s to get into single user mode.

Hope this does it!
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

speirsfr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2002, 05:46 AM

I think this is what happens when you have no shell set in Netinfo. You can either fix it in Netinfo or go into Terminal's preferences, choose Use This Shell and enter a shell path.

You probably really want to fix it in Netinfo Manager though....
PowerBook G4 17"
Power Mac G4/800, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD, Superdrive, GeForce 4MX, Gateway 21" CRT, Apple Pro Speakers, iSub - Running Mac OS X Server 10.2
iBook 500, 192MbRAM - Running Mac OS X 10.2
iPod 5Gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules