Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The psychology of post counts.

The psychology of post counts.
SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2002, 09:29 PM

Well, this is my gratuitous 1000th post. Yay for me
Anyway, I figured I might as well make it somewhat more interesting than the common "Hey! Look where I got my postcount up to this week!" thread.

I think people place way too much importance on post counts at times. I mean, if Steve Jobs himself suddenly popped up on these forums for the first time and had a post count of 2, would that make him inferior to some random fool like me who has been around here longer? People usually associate a low post count with a newbie, but that's very often just not the case.

Well, that wasn't awfully insightful, but what the heck! At least I tried!

Oh, and go Rangers!

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2002, 09:35 PM

i have noticed that the more liked a poster is...when they reach a 1000...loungers do congratulate them.

as mindfad's post had plenty of well wishers and some other dude had like almost none (as to illustrate this, i remember mindfad and i have no recollection of the other dude's name)

so you can easily see how well you are liked here at macnn by how many replies THIS thread gets
snappy

Jansar
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2002, 09:51 PM

Here's a forum that addresses this silly issue.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2002, 09:55 PM

its not how many posts you have, its how you use them.

Mulattabianca
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2002, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Psychonaut:
its not how many posts you have, its how you use them.
::1 ::2 ::3 ::

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2002, 10:20 PM

It literally is the same psychology that drives rpg games. The quest for godhood. Something like that. I am not a psychologist so I can't identify what are the main motivating factors.

When I think of posting just to get the post count up, I compare it to leveling in Diablo I. It doesn't really matter what level you are if you can just go online to battle.net and have some nice person give you a Bloody Defensive Claymore of the Moon+150% damage +200 armor class + 15 all attributes, level 1 required. It's just a cheap way of making yourself look and feel better.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2002, 10:24 PM

heres a poll i did at some point that seemed to offer some interesting insights into our beloved post count. apparently, ALOT more people care than youd like to think.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=128568

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2002, 10:48 PM

It seems that around here, your post count has something to do with the way you are perceived. I mean, people tripped over themselves running to congratulate Cipher13 when he reached 10,000.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2002, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
It seems that around here, your post count has something to do with the way you are perceived. I mean, people tripped over themselves running to congratulate Cipher13 when he reached 10,000.
well. hes also a really nice guy that alot of us talk to outside of the fora. very knowledgable. always willing to help out.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2002, 10:59 PM

It's rumored I have the most bloated postcount in the world.

Or at least I used to, ever since codename and spliffdaddy came to be, that has long since been untrue

*shrug* I can't wait to hit 2k, but I'm not going to make my posts sound like total crap just to do that.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 20, 2002, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
well. hes also a really nice guy that alot of us talk to outside of the fora. very knowledgable. always willing to help out.
more than can be said for you, you useless pop-music-loving-pansy

WHAT WOULD HANK SAY?
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2002, 12:57 PM

Of course there's a psychological dimension: as diamoni, scaught, maxelson, juan, cheerios, voodoo, Lerk, et al (i.e., the cool kids, you know who you are) PULL AWAY from my lil post count, and give Cipher chase, well, it makes me feel inadequate.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2002, 01:03 PM

My self esteem is based almost entirely on my post count. No too long back, I decided to back away for a bit. It was awful. I got the shakes, my judgement became weak and cloudy, I felt I was no more significant than a krill. Then I came back and reverted to the qualities of the proud and popular intellectual giant you see before you now.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Nov 20, 2002, 01:11 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jun 4, 2004 at 02:09 AM. )

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2002, 01:48 PM

Well, it is well known in the annals of this glorious forum that Timo and I are... sit please... two sides of the same coin. So, add up the count, we're rocking somewhere up near Ciph!
Be of good cheer, man. While we ARE our post counts, while we may be in the depths (due to inactivity, feeblemindedness, lack of ambition, what havee), it is within all of us to reach Nivana... 10,000 posts. Seek your potential. Post, man, post. GO forth and be fruitful.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2002, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
My self esteem is based almost entirely on my post count. No too long back, I decided to back away for a bit. It was awful. I got the shakes, my judgement became weak and cloudy, I felt I was no more significant than a krill. Then I came back and reverted to the qualities of the proud and popular intellectual giant you see before you now.
I am an intellectual midget but I have BIG post count
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2002, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:

Be of good cheer, man. While we ARE our post counts, while we may be in the depths (due to inactivity, feeblemindedness, lack of ambition, what havee), it is within all of us to reach Nivana... 10,000 posts. Seek your potential. Post, man, post. GO forth and be fruitful.
Hmm...that advice and 8.25+ years of posting (according to my 2.69 posts per day) will get me to the magic 10,000...

::looks for loser emoticon::

The Dude
Banned
Nov 20, 2002, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
more than can be said for you, you useless pop-music-loving-pansy

WHAT WOULD HANK SAY?
FHAG!!!!!!!!11111111111111111!!!!!!!!!111

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2002, 03:06 PM

I have a feeling a lot of people don't want to admit they value high post counts, for fear it would make them look shallow. I wouldn't be devastated if I went back down to 1, but I do like having something to show for all the time I waste here.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2002, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:

Or at least I used to, ever since codename and spliffdaddy came to be, that has long since been untrue

*shrug* I can't wait to hit 2k, but I'm not going to make my posts sound like total crap just to do that.

i thought that award went to powrbookdude?
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2002, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
I wouldn't be devastated if I went back down to 1, but I do like having something to show for all the time I waste here.
LOL!

(btw, this is probably the way I got about 90% of my posts... )
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

DaKiwi2788
Senior User
Nov 20, 2002, 04:47 PM

And one....

-Emily

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2002, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
I wouldn't be devastated if I went back down to 1, but I do like having something to show for all the time I waste here.
hahah. as jaded a ****er as i am, i agree with this statement. haha. well said.

Lerkfish
Nov 20, 2002, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Timo:
Of course there's a psychological dimension: as diamoni, scaught, maxelson, juan, cheerios, voodoo, Lerk, et al (i.e., the cool kids, you know who you are) PULL AWAY from my lil post count, and give Cipher chase, well, it makes me feel inadequate.
I'm only replying to this so I can see how my post count compares to the other intellectual giants.

sometimes us intellectual pygmies are more determined.

(no offense to any aboriginal pygmies that might be members)

(no offense to any members that might be diminuitive in size....or girth)

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Nov 20, 2002, 07:12 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jun 4, 2004 at 02:10 AM. )

appledude83
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2002, 07:18 PM

Yeah I'm not sure it really means anything. I mean on one hand a person with 1000+ posts could be a Mac genius and know everything. On the other hand it could be a guy that just posts about random stuff to get their post ratings up. I try not to be hard on some guy with 4 posts, but that's just me.

iBook 800/640MB/30GB

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2002, 07:30 PM

I would hope I'm a mac genius

*shrug* But agreed, I wouldn't be devastated, just very dissapointed because that's a good show of how I waste my time
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Cipher13
Nov 20, 2002, 11:19 PM

Thanks scaught.

Originally posted by Timo:
Ah, it's okay Timo - we'll still talk to you!

Honestly, I wouldn't care if mine got reset in an accident or whatever. It's nice to be able to show you're a dedicated member of a community, but hey... I wouldn't be distraught or anything.

I listen to the guy with 3 posts just as much as the guy with 3000 posts. It makes no difference to me; one reason it wouldn't bother me to lose them is if somebody decides to pay more attention to someone with more posts than whoever else, then that's their own loss. IMO.

Now - I'm glad nobody's brought up SDS.

Lerkfish
Nov 20, 2002, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
[BNow - I'm glad nobody's brought up SDS. [/B]
I would have, if'n I'da known what it was

BOT:
I think WHAT someone has to say on a message board is more valuable than their post count. I've had to drop a moniker before elsewhere after racking up thousands of posts, and tried to be in cognito with the new one (long story having to do with an internet stalker, but that's for another time), what I found was that it was initially a greater freedom to state what was on my mind. I think we DO to some extent self-regulate what we say or how we say it based on OUR perception of how others perceive us.

On one message board where the majority was teenage fans of a computer game, after a while I got to be known as the old and wise man of the village, which seems like a good thing, but it meant I couldn't rant about this or another thing like everyone else because people would say things like "I can't believe you lost your temper, Lerk, I look up to you to be a rock of sensibility"...this meant that I couldn't feel comfortable releasing mental pressures like everyone else on the board because people had pigeonholed me a certain way. Complementary, yes, but limiting. We are all complex people, and in the internet there is a tendency to ignore or reduce complexity of those you interact with in a way that isn't possible in real life. This tends to set up unrealistic expectations or prejudicial attitudes based on a minor few anecdotal examples.

hm...sorry for rambling, there.

Cipher13
Nov 20, 2002, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:

I would have, if'n I'da known what it was

BOT:
I think WHAT someone has to say on a message board is more valuable than their post count. I've had to drop a moniker before elsewhere after racking up thousands of posts, and tried to be in cognito with the new one (long story having to do with an internet stalker, but that's for another time), what I found was that it was initially a greater freedom to state what was on my mind. I think we DO to some extent self-regulate what we say or how we say it based on OUR perception of how others perceive us.

On one message board where the majority was teenage fans of a computer game, after a while I got to be known as the old and wise man of the village, which seems like a good thing, but it meant I couldn't rant about this or another thing like everyone else because people would say things like "I can't believe you lost your temper, Lerk, I look up to you to be a rock of sensibility"...this meant that I couldn't feel comfortable releasing mental pressures like everyone else on the board because people had pigeonholed me a certain way. Complementary, yes, but limiting. We are all complex people, and in the internet there is a tendency to ignore or reduce complexity of those you interact with in a way that isn't possible in real life. This tends to set up unrealistic expectations or prejudicial attitudes based on a minor few anecdotal examples.

hm...sorry for rambling, there.
Nah, good point.

The affliction (sic) you mention doesn't bother me, personally. As I'm sure you've noted.

I just say what I think, usually. Unless it's offensive. If the only issue is what other people will think of it, then I'm indifferent.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2002, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:

You know, people bring up the people with "inflated" post counts all the time, but I really don't know of anyone who fits that description. If you are willing to stick around long enough to stack up 1000 posts, you must have contributed more than filler and fluff. It would be boring to just type in a few lines all the time and post. I imagine once every dozen or so you would actually have an opinion or suggestion on the stuff you have been reading.

On a similar topic, I had tried to start basically the same discussion here: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=132453 but I guess people like you better than me. Congratulations, by the way.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Forum Links
Forum Rules