Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Gorn posits Themer Megachallenge! [big pix inline]

Gorn posits Themer Megachallenge! [big pix inline]
Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 11:48 PM

This was one of my favorite (if illicit) Kal schemes ever - Mekong! A few years ago I worked on updating it to work with the latest version of Kaleidoscope and OS 8 features, as the screenshot shows (aspects blurred to protect the not-so innnocent)

Granted OS X themes are much different in style and format, but do any of you crack themers think something similar to, or in the spirit of, Mekong is possible?

p.s. If anyone wants my version of Mekong, let me know...

KidRed
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2002, 01:18 AM

What's blurred?
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

el_humpo
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2002, 02:02 AM

Looks a lot like Fallout... could be cool! Dunno if those window decorations are possible tho, and definitely not the title bar text.
Is this rock and roll, or
a form of state control?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2002, 02:39 AM

If anyone is interested into knowing why this scheme never got released, I asked Arlo Rose to explain the history of Mekong:

I created an early version of Mekong on my spare time while I was an employee at Apple. Due to a misunderstanding between my manager and myself, I was under the impression that so long as I had done it on my spare time, I could keep it for myself and do whatever I wanted with it.

When we released the first screen shots of Kaleidoscope 2.0, some people at Apple felt that they were the ones that should own the rights to Mekong, not me.

This wasn't done because they wanted to ship it, they just didn't want us releasing Kaleidoscope.

To make matters worse, they claimed I stole source code from Apple when I left, and made Greg and I go through a lengthy and very costly legal wrangle.

Basically, to make Apple go away so we could ship 2.0, I conceded on the Mekong issue, and let them do a full source code review on Kaleidoscope. If we had entered into some sort of legal battle, Kaleidoscope would have been legally tied up for far too long, and no one would have benefited from that.
I also think this scheme is one of the best design I've seen (for tech style).

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2002, 03:51 AM

Is your version a kaleidescope scheme or an appearance theme? If it's an appearance theme, I'd like a copy of it to play with. Thanx.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 4, 2002, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:

This was one of my favorite (if illicit) Kal schemes ever - Mekong! A few years ago I worked on updating it to work with the latest version of Kaleidoscope and OS 8 features, as the screenshot shows (aspects blurred to protect the not-so innnocent)

Granted OS X themes are much different in style and format, but do any of you crack themers think something similar to, or in the spirit of, Mekong is possible?

p.s. If anyone wants my version of Mekong, let me know...
That could be done similar to the way Brushed is done. You coudl change all background to have the asfalt surface. The warning decoartions could be used for the drawers. The green is not a good idea though, tha would not work.

Silky Voice of The Gorn  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2002, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by smeger:
Is your version a kaleidescope scheme or an appearance theme? If it's an appearance theme, I'd like a copy of it to play with. Thanx.
Sorry, it's just a modified version of the original Kal scheme..I *did* want to convert it to an Appearence Theme, but I didn't have the tech know-how to do it.

BTW...Here's an article with more info about Kal, Mekong, etc Linkage

Forum Links
Forum Rules