Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Safari a memory hog?

Safari a memory hog?
Xtraz
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2003, 04:48 PM

Hmm it ate my post. Here it was:

I currently have 3 open windows, yet safari has 22 threads and takes up a lot of memory.

779 Safari 0.2% 69:32.40 22 1962 2983 124M 42.7M 111M 804M

Does anyone experience this also? (I searched for it but no one seems to have mentioned anything).

Edit: Safari has 3 static webpages loaded, and isn't downloading anything so I'm just wondering why its taking up so much memory. The thread count isn't what I'm concerned about its the memory use given the fact that I only have 3 static windows open.
( Last edited by Xtraz; Jan 16, 2003 at 04:58 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2003, 04:51 PM

As far as I understand things, the information you provided is irrelevant without providing the context. Are you doing stuff in the background? If not, an idle application is supposed to take whatever resources it wants/needs.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2003, 05:28 PM

I agree. Use the memory unless its needed elsewhere... cache every page visited until ram runs low.

Here's another theory:
Perhaps safari is using some form of optimized caching to make up for lack of hardware accelerated scrolling? (pure speculation)

someone_else
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2003, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Xtraz:
Hmm it ate my post. Here it was:

I currently have 3 open windows, yet safari has 22 threads and takes up a lot of memory.

779 Safari 0.2% 69:32.40 22 1962 2983 124M 42.7M 111M 804M

Does anyone experience this also? (I searched for it but no one seems to have mentioned anything).
That's not too bad. The only important # here is RPRVT which in your case is 124MB. I've seen Mozilla get higher than that with only a few windows open.

FWIW, here is my current Chimera stats
PID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD RSIZE VSIZE
10136 Navigator 3.3% 3:48:19 7 148 698 67.3M 58.1M 90.8M 257M

In my case, chimera is using 67.3 MB. 10MB of that is for the in memory cache.

I'm using build 20030106 and I have two tabs open one on MacNN (in this post) and another on /. in a thread with 206 comments.

A lot depends on what pages you have loaded, as the browser has to allocate memory for images, text, layout, all kinds of things. The more complicated the page, the more memory it will take.

Just for shi*ts and giggles, I launched Safari and opened the same two pages. Safari is now taking 16.5 MB (RPRVT). But it's only been running for a couple of minutes and my instance of Chimera has been up for a few days at least and it's visted a lot more than two pages in that time; plus it contains all of my bookmarks.

I guess my point is, don't worry about it too much. If you really want to reclaim that memory, just quit Safari an d relaunch it.
G5 2.5 DP/2GB RAM/NVidia 6800 Ultra
PowerBook Al 1Ghz/768MB RAM
6gb Blue iPod Mini

Forum Links
Forum Rules