Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 7.1 and external SCSI drives

OS 7.1 and external SCSI drives
Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2003, 07:25 AM

I found my old old powerbook and was able to boot it. I would like to transfer all my files from it onto another form of media so i can back it up. There is only a floppy drive but there is about 50 megs of data to transfer and i don't want to do it that way.
I tried hooking up an external SCSI drive to it but it will not boot when that drive is attached and freezes when its plugged in later. The powerbook is running 7.1 and i do not want to upgrade it for fear of losing data. I assume i formatted that external drive with OS 9.x and I doubt 7,1 can read it now. And I also guess that version of Drive Setup in 7.1 is too old to reformat a 20gig SCSI drive.

With no ethernet port or any other fast port on the powerbook is my only option a parallel cable Appletalk connection to a beige mac before i can send it to a newer Mac? Iomega didn't happen to make drivers for OS 7.1 so I can hook up a SCSI Zip drive by chance? Anyone have any ideas I missed?

Thanks

MacMonster
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2003, 03:01 PM

Use a SCSI cable to connect your beige mac to your PowerBook, then your PB will run in SCSI mode and you should see a disk icon on the desktop of your beige mac.

SCSI mode is a special feature of PowerBook, it lets you make the PB like an external hard disk.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2003, 02:32 AM

I know that an old SCSI Zip drive worked with my Quadra (which was running 7.1), since I used it to transfer my data when I upgraded. The second poster has a great suggestion, though, but we don't know to which Mac he is transfering the files. If that Mac doesn't have SCSI as well, then that won't work. Langdon, you should attempt to find a SCSI Zip drive and use it. Finally, concerning the crashing issue, I know that a Mac will crash if a SCSI cable isn't firmly connected. You may also want to make sure your device is terminated properly. (Oh the joys of hot pluggable, self terminating modern device standards. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Langdon  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2003, 04:04 PM

SCSI mode worked. I had no idea there was even such a thing but i followed the directions and it was just like target firewire mode. Why was this only on the firmware of the powerbook like? This would have been such a nice feature to have when not all Macs had ethernet standard.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2003, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by Langdon:
SCSI mode worked. I had no idea there was even such a thing but i followed the directions and it was just like target firewire mode. Why was this only on the firmware of the powerbook like? This would have been such a nice feature to have when not all Macs had ethernet standard.
That really is a good question. I know PB SCSI ports are slightly different. But I think it's just that Apple never bothered to add the feature, which would have been worthwhile.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules