Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Screen won't turn on

iBook Screen won't turn on
jruiz10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2003, 06:14 PM

I have a G3 14" 600mhz iBook that I got last April. Recently my screen went black. My computer works. I can hear it load up and when it finishes loading I know it works because it makes noises when I adjust the sounds and it the keyboard lights up when I press caps lock or num lock. The only thing is that my screen won't turn on.

Anyone have ideas to what might have happened to it?

Also, I took it to my cousin because he knows how to repair computers, that's what he does for a living. The only thing is he couldn't figure out how to open up the screen part of the laptop. He said something about it having a pressure point pop thing or something like that. I thought it was unscrewable but apprently he says he isn't.

If you can help me out with that too, I would appreciate it. Thanks!!!

xtal
Senior User
Jan 30, 2003, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by jruiz10:
I have a G3 14" 600mhz iBook that I got last April. Recently my screen went black. My computer works. I can hear it load up and when it finishes loading I know it works because it makes noises when I adjust the sounds and it the keyboard lights up when I press caps lock or num lock. The only thing is that my screen won't turn on.

Anyone have ideas to what might have happened to it?

Also, I took it to my cousin because he knows how to repair computers, that's what he does for a living. The only thing is he couldn't figure out how to open up the screen part of the laptop. He said something about it having a pressure point pop thing or something like that. I thought it was unscrewable but apprently he says he isn't.

If you can help me out with that too, I would appreciate it. Thanks!!!
Unless your cousin is an Apple-certified technician, I would NOT take it to him.

Your computer is still under warranty for approximately two months. Take it to a service centre.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

agentz
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2003, 09:42 AM

Its quite likely that your screen backlight has failed - I've seen a fair number of iBooks like this. If you switch on your iBook then hold it up to a fairly strong light source behind the screen (so that light is coming in through the Apple logo that would normally glow) can you see a faint image on the display?

Not that it helps, like the last guy said its still under warranty so get it repaired by Apple.
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2003, 02:55 PM

Sniffer gone old-school sig

rytc
Senior User
Feb 3, 2003, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by sniffer:
Don't know if it helps, but:
http://homepage.usask.ca/~cjn339/sticky/index.html
Forget about trying to fix it yourself, ring Apple, you'll have a box sent and within a week you'll have it back fixed. Esp. since its under warranty!

cheers Ry

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2003, 05:00 AM

I have been experiencing a similar problem for the past two weeks or so. At first I thought it was some odd problem caused by Microsoft Optical Mouse and IntelliPoint drivers for it, since the problem started right after I had that connected to my iBook. However, further experimentation in uninstalling the drivers and disconnecting the mouse entirely showed that it was not the problem (can't blame M$ for this one). The problem would always happen when I'd close the iBook to put it to sleep, but when I opened the screen again the iBook would come out of sleep but the screenw would be black. Closer inspection showed that the LCD was working as I was able to make out the items on the desktop.

So far, I have been dealing with the problem by not touching/moving my LCD when I don't really need to and when the 'bad' thing happens I close and open the screen a few times and normally the problem fixes itself. The whole thing is getting really annoying, however.

So I have a few questions! How can I check if my iBook is still under warranty? I got it last spring at CompUSA. I doubt I will be able to find any documentation, since I moved 3 times since the purchase. From US to Finland and then from Finland to Spain ... All I have right now are the original CDs (always keep those around). Am I still under warranty although I reside in a different country right now?

It is too early for a new iBook/PB purchase, as new things are going to come down the line in late summer/fall. This iBook was doing quite well for my needs at this time. Plus I just do not have the cash right now.

Thanks any help will be appreciated.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2003, 05:02 AM

Oh, yeah and I didn't buy Applecare or CompUSA protection plan at the time of purchase. Bad thing?

sniffer
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2003, 06:49 AM

i dunno, but I think you should just take a call and see what will happen. The first time I called Apple was a year ago, and they didn't ask for any hard documentations. I belive they just asked for my iBook serial number. Not sure.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2003, 06:53 AM

Calling 1-800-APPLE (or whatever the number) is not free from here. Argg. It is a bitch to be an Apple user outside of US and Canada. Anyhow, I might just live with it till MWNY or something

Need to look into the whole issue. The problem is not consistent ... will try to replicate it over the weekend, unless it decides to do it on its own.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2003, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by nsxpower:
Calling 1-800-APPLE (or whatever the number) is not free from here. Argg. It is a bitch to be an Apple user outside of US and Canada. Anyhow, I might just live with it till MWNY or something

Need to look into the whole issue. The problem is not consistent ... will try to replicate it over the weekend, unless it decides to do it on its own.
I don't know how the practice is in Spain, but I thought the idea was that you have one year free hardware guarantie with support, and 90 days free software support. I didn't know apple was charging for it?
Don't think we have extra expences here in Norway while calling Apple..

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2003, 07:10 AM

Do you have a local Apple repair center? I am going to look into it, but I am not sure if there is one around here.

Even if everything goes fine and I can send it to them. I will not be able to do that until March, since I absolutely need my computer for next two weeks. Which is why I am willing to live with the problem now, cuz I just do not have the time otherwise to deal with it.

I am really hoping thats is some software conflict, but that will take more time to find out.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2003, 04:57 PM

Edit: Deleted due duoble posts..
( Last edited by sniffer; Feb 4, 2003 at 05:02 PM. )

sniffer
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by nsxpower:
Do you have a local Apple repair center? I am going to look into it, but I am not sure if there is one around here.
Apple sends everything to Nederlands when something needs to get fixed. The last time I used my garantie it got delivered back to me on my doorstep six days after.
But there are also stores with their own repair centers here. Thought they are very expensive if you aren't under warrenty with them. iBooks under warrenty should be covered independed of current localization by Apple. At least that rule is for Apple care warrenty, possible regular warrenty as well. If you are in a country where you are insecure about the local language I don't think there should be a problem getting in touch with native english speaking Apple supporters. Apples main HQ I think in Europe is in Ireland. I've been in touch with them on support phone earlier when I ordered an iSub some years back. Sorry but I don't know the support number in spain, or any international ones. Check at your local countrys Apple site. Hope this help.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2003, 04:58 AM

Thank of the info. It is very reassuring, perhaps I will be able to get my iBook fixed up for free.

I do not speak spanish well enough to be able to explain the exact problem I am having with my iBook, so I will try to locate the telephone number for the irish repair center.

I have done a little more experiments with the screen and have come to the conclusion that there may be a faulty connector in the iBook hindge. The screen goes black only when I have the LCD open for more then 110� or so.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2003, 12:08 PM

MAJOR UPDATE

Well I talked to the Apple people in Spain. They will not repair/look at my iBook until I can produce proof of purchase etc. I am not sure I can locate that darn CompUSA receipt after nearly a year after the purchase. I had to give up the iBook box due to the transatlantic move. I know the "manual" (its a strectch to call it a manual) to the iBook are at my parents house in Finland. So the receipt may be in there. My parents are doing major renovation of the house, so chances are it has shifted from where I had left it. Besides I do not have the time to go there. It's a shame, but I may just have to live with the problem.

On the bright side! They did give me phone numbers and addresses of two (I suppose Apple certified) repair shops in the city here. Perhaps I should contact them to see how much it may cost to fix up my poor iBook.
The problem is not nearly enough (at this stage) to warrant replacement laptop, but I am not willing to spend more then �250 to fix it either.

Any advice would be welcome.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2003, 09:45 PM

You don't have any assurance you could make use of then? My guarantee from Apple is going out of date quite soon, but I would still have my assurance to lean back on which cover a repair for a small amount of money if something goes wrong. Perhaps your assurance company can help you out?

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2003, 04:36 AM

sniffer,
No, the iBook is not insured anymore. It was covered under my tenant insurence for a little while, but I never got that over here. I know it would cover the iBook if it were stolen or lost in a fire/flood in my apartment, but I am pretty sure that it would not cover aulty wiring and such.

Regardless, I am going to contact my former bank (I have closed my a/c there back in August 2002). I am going to see if they can make a print out of my transactions from March to May. I am not sure how good a proof of purchase it is going to be, since the information on a particular transaction is rather limited. It will probably say CompUSA + whatever was the amount. But I guess it is worth a try.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2003, 05:06 AM

Ok, sorry to hear. I hope you get around for a solution one way or another. Best of luck to you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules