Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Suggestions on local design site

Suggestions on local design site
dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2003, 12:43 PM

http://www.openelementsgroup.com
Can everyone critique my site and let me know what I can do to improve it or attract local designers to it without spending too much $$$?
I guess if that question was answerable, life would be too easy.
Anyway, it's a site 'directory', although I hate that word, for all design related services in our area. This site easily services an area of 500,000 residents, not much, but enough to support the site. The question is, how can I build traffic?
ALSO, I am trying very hard to find a good free message board. I don't like the one that I currently have. I really like MacNN's message board, but would cost me $6/mo. Fairly cheap, but FREE would be better
Please critique!!!
Post here, or send comments to:
[email protected]
You may sign up to be listed, it's free!!! Even if your not local, we accept outsiders. We're nice that way.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2003, 12:55 PM

www.phpbb.com and www.invisionboard.com are both excellent free message boards.

Is it free to get listed on the site? perhaps there could be a small fee or some kind of "delux" listing that would provide something extra for the user, and would generate revenue for you to use on advertising (which would attract more users, making it a more desirable place to get listed)

the design of the site is excellent, though there is somewhat of a learning curve. it took a second for me to realize that i was supposed to mouse-over the dots around the logo for navigation (maybe a tool-tip that comes up for a few seconds when you load the page that says what to do?). other than that, though, its very nice. the colors are good and it isn't as mainstream as most designs.

dadder  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2003, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
www.phpbb.com and www.invisionboard.com are both excellent free message boards.
Wow, this has been an adventure. To get the phpbb.com's board running, I've so far had to activate PHP and MySQL on my server. This I did through FreeBSD. I'm not even close to an expert on this stuff. So anyways, I uploaded the message board contents from phpbb for the board and now I need to have a 'database' file. I'm told I can create a MySQL database, but I have no idea how to do this. When I've looked into it, it asks for categories and stuff that I have know idea what for??? Arghhhh - I can't believe this is so difficult. However, I am not easily deterred, so I am marching on. I'll let you know when I get this database thing figured out.

dadder  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 12:53 AM

Well, I did it! We got the phpbb message board to work and it's on, baby!
A lot of tinkering, but now that I know how to do it, it was pretty easy.
Check it out!

Forum Links
Forum Rules