Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17 inch Kernel Panics

17 inch Kernel Panics
xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2003, 04:54 PM

Ok, don't want to freak everyone out, but I was in my computer store today and overheard some guy who was saying that his 17" was panicking to the point of death. He was sending it back in to get it fixed/replaced. He also said that a lot of people were having the same problem (not me). Anybody else having the same problems? And, it's most likely software related, right (ie a clean install will take care of the problem)?

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

geekwagon
Senior User
Apr 21, 2003, 08:02 PM

Frequent kernel panics are almost always due to bad RAM. When I first bought my dual 1.25 I had lots of problems finding a RAM module that would last more than an hour without a panic. I eventually did and it has never had a kernel panic since then. My 17" has never had a kernel panic.

SwitchnSOON
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2003, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by xylon:
Ok, don't want to freak everyone out, but I was in my computer store today and overheard some guy who was saying that his 17" was panicking to the point of death. He was sending it back in to get it fixed/replaced. He also said that a lot of people were having the same problem (not me). Anybody else having the same problems? And, it's most likely software related, right (ie a clean install will take care of the problem)?
I have had this 17 inch PB for a week, and I have had no issues of any kind with it, let alone Kernel Panic"

djjava
Senior User
Apr 21, 2003, 08:42 PM

no probs on my almost month old PB17
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Forum Links
Forum Rules