Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dead or Undead Pixel???

Dead or Undead Pixel???
Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2003, 11:18 AM

Last night I saw what I was pretty certain was a dead pixel on my 14" iBook screen...

The pixel, however, appears to change colors during normal use... I just ran a utility to change the screen colors... When it runs I don't visibly notice the pixel in any of the colors. However, the screen flashes in between colors, and I can see the pixel during the flash of my normal desktop. Once it fully renders the color, however, the pixel looks completely normal...

I just finished a bunch of testing to try and narrow down if some fluke or a trojan horse of some kind is causing it, but it's obvously not as it happens when booting into 9 as well as X...

I guess I just answered my own question with all the testing I just tried... Just seems weird that in one mode it looks completely normal, in another it's dead.. <sigh>

Bobby  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2003, 11:28 AM

Weird... I just ran the screen test program again and have determined the dead pixel takes on the color of the screen, but when I move my cursor "under" it the pixel stays the color of the screen...

If the screen is set to red the pixel is and stays red. If it is blue the pixel locks blue, and the same with green, black, and white...

Bobby  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2003, 06:42 PM

While using my iBook today I came to a conclusion...

The dead pixel appears to be mirroring another pixel on the screen...

The dead pixel is about an inch down from the top of the screen and roughly 3/16" from the left hand side...

It appears to be mirroring a pixel somewhere within an area about 1/4" square from the bottom left corner of the screen...

This answers why using full screen colors covers the dead pixel... I dunno if this means anything new, however... :/

iamnid
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 08:25 PM

that's quite the good conversation you've got going with yourself there bobby. Just kidding.

Bobby  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2003, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by iamnid:
that's quite the good conversation you've got going with yourself there bobby. Just kidding.
It was until you so rudely interupted!

j/k

Forum Links
Forum Rules