Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mounting Servers at Startup

Mounting Servers at Startup
Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2003, 10:36 AM

Hey all. Running Mac OS X 10.2.5 on a Dual 1Ghz Mirrored Drive Door Powermac G4. Here's the deal:

I want my server drives to load on the desktop when the computer starts up, which is easily done by adding the drives to the Login Items Preference Pane. However, I don't want to see the box asking for my Keychain password everytime I start up. The first time I loaded the server drives at startup, I was presented with the "Deny, Allow Once, Always Allow" box for the Keychain, but pressing Always Allow hasn't prevented this thing from coming up everytime I start up:

Can anyone tell me how to avoid this thing? Thanks in advance.
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2003, 10:59 AM

Open Keychain Access and find your network drive.

Click on the Access Control tab and click on 'Always allow acces to this item'

See if that helps.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Cory Bauer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2003, 11:31 AM

Thanks JLL, but I tried that once already with no such luck. It's already set to "always allow access to this item". Arg. This has got to be a glitch or a bug of some sort, because there's no reason this box should be coming up with all the times I've clicked and checked "Always Allow" boxes. Are there any preferences or other files I could try trashing that would possibly help? thanks again.
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2003, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Cory Bauer:
Thanks JLL, but I tried that once already with no such luck. It's already set to "always allow access to this item". Arg. This has got to be a glitch or a bug of some sort, because there's no reason this box should be coming up with all the times I've clicked and checked "Always Allow" boxes. Are there any preferences or other files I could try trashing that would possibly help? thanks again.
Have you tried to remove the server in Keychain Access and adding it again?
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2003, 11:44 AM

Cory:

How about you make a script that will mount the server directly? As long as you save the script as an "Application" everything will be fine.

That should work by placing the script in the Login Panel as well, right?

Worth a shot.
( Last edited by gorickey; Apr 24, 2003 at 11:51 AM. )

Cory Bauer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2003, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
Have you tried to remove the server in Keychain Access and adding it again?
Yep, tried that. Thanks anyway.

Originally posted by gorickey:
How about you make a script that will mount the server directly? As long as you save the script as an "Application" everything will be fine.
Sounds ridicuously unnecesssary but if it works, I'll go for that. Any chance you can help me out on the script making part? I just barely know the first step to creating an Applescript. Thanks!
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2003, 12:39 PM

Yes, I can help you out. I'm not all that great with AppleScript myself; however, have made a script that will mount my servers; however, I need to find a way to make my password more encryptive.

If I get some more time today, I'll do that and post back.

Cory Bauer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2003, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
If I get some more time today, I'll do that and post back.
Thanks gorickey!

In the meantime, doesn't anyone here load servers upon login/startup, and if so are you able to do it without being prompted for a password by either keychain or the Connect to Server box? In Mac OS 9 you'd just check the "load server at startup" box in the Chooser, and that'd be that. This may be the first part of OS 9 I've missed since switching to OS X. Well, unless you count pop-up folders
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]

Cory Bauer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2003, 01:13 PM

Hey, I got my servers to load at startup/login without asking for a password! Here's what I ended up doing:

1. Removed the servers from the login items list.

2. deleted all the keychains, and the keychains preferences file.

3. Logged out, logged back in, and reconnected to the servers, added them to the Login Items.

4. Opened up the Keychain Access application, which had recreated a new Keychain named the shortname of the user. I set that keychain as the default.

After all that, I am no longer prompted for any kind of password and the severs mount on the desktop automatically upon login/startup. Thanks everyone!
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]

Richyfp
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2003, 01:36 PM

Just in case anyone would want a script to do what Cory has thankfully achieved, I'll post the AppleScript code here.

The necessary code for handling servers is now received by the Standard Additions scripting extension rather than the Finder as in Mac OS 9 and previously.

The syntax of the command is as follows:
Code:
mount volume "protocol://myvolume/" on server "mycomputer" as user name "me" with password "mypassword"
It is also possible to specify an AppleTalk zone by adding in AppleTalk zone "myzone". As far as I can tell, the protocol can be anything that is supported in the 'Connect to Server' dialog in the Finder, although the 'as user name' does not work with smb:// (as of 10.2.2). In the Standard Additions dictionary, it says that only afp can be used, but this is not the case.

Anyway, I'm glad to know that Cory has solved the problem!
PM G4 DP 500 MHz, 768 Mb, DVD-ROM, 85 Gb, Mac OS X 10.3.9
PB G4 1.25 GHz, 512 Mb, DVD-R, 80 Gb, Mac OS X 10.4

redeye
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2003, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Cory Bauer:
Hey all. Running Mac OS X 10.2.5 on a Dual 1Ghz Mirrored Drive Door Powermac G4. Here's the deal:

I want my server drives to load on the desktop when the computer starts up, which is easily done by adding the drives to the Login Items Preference Pane. However, I don't want to see the box asking for my Keychain password everytime I start up. The first time I loaded the server drives at startup, I was presented with the "Deny, Allow Once, Always Allow" box for the Keychain, but pressing Always Allow hasn't prevented this thing from coming up everytime I start up:

Can anyone tell me how to avoid this thing? Thanks in advance.
When I had my Powerbook, I used to use a afploc file in my login items to mount a harddrive on login and I never got the dialog to unlock the volume in Keychain. If I remeber correctly, you can create the afploc file by typing the following text in a blank text file, selecting the complete text, and then dragging and dropping it in a location on your harddrive where you want to permanently want to keep the file. The text is as follows - I cannot verify this text and the format may be slightly different:

afp://username[email protected]/volume

This will create a Location file that points to your server volume with the password already contained within the link and it can then be pointed to in your login items or double clicked at any time to mount the remote server volume. I would suggest you double click the file to test it prior to using it as a Login item.

I was never able to get this to work with SMB mount points, but it may have been corrected since I last tried it. YMMV.
WWWWaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2003, 03:32 PM

Phew, I was just about to get started on cracking this...good work MacNN'ers!

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2003, 03:52 PM

mount volume "protocol://myvolume/" on server "mycomputer" as user name "me" with password "mypassword"

Does anybody know how to modify this to log onto a volume that has guest access & no password?

-chris

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2003, 06:25 PM

Personally, I much prefer this method to scripting.

jfischetti
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2003, 07:03 PM

Look for a app called AFP Automount on VersionTracker - i use it and it works great

Here it is: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12133
"....and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln!"

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2003, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by Big-C:

Does anybody know how to modify this to log onto a volume that has guest access & no password?

-chris
Nope. I've tried forever to get this to work. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this currently... darn shame too.

Matt Fahrenbacher

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2003, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by jfischetti:
Look for a app called AFP Automount on VersionTracker - i use it and it works great

Here it is: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12133
Wow, that is nice...worked great for me.

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules