Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPods released in early 2004 worth waiting for?

iPods released in early 2004 worth waiting for?
dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2003, 09:13 PM

I've finally decided to buy an iPod, but should I wait for the new ones coming out early next year? This is the blurb I found on ThinkSecret:

Set for announcement in early 2004, this iPod will boast a design and functionality radically different than current models.

Seems the current iPods have everything I would ever need, but then I read something like that! Does anyone know anything more? I like to make sure that when I'm spending the $$$ on an iPod, that the design is going to be around at least a full year or two. I don't want to fall in the trap again, like I did with my PowerBook (bought the Titanium and 2 weeks later the Alumabooks came out)
Anyway, I have a gut feeling Apple has something big intended since the latest revision of the iPod didn't boast anything 'radical'. Thoughts?

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2003, 09:43 PM

Bought a 15 GB model last weekend and am not looking back. If the current ones have everything you want/need, go for it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2003, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by dadder:
Anyway, I have a gut feeling Apple has something big intended since the latest revision of the iPod didn't boast anything 'radical'. Thoughts?
People were making all kinds of off-the-wall predictions about video playing (or video recording!) iPods last year, but as you know they didn't pan out. It is true that Apple will have to do something more than just increase the storage space eventually, since most people probably can't fill the 30GB model as it is (although I certainly can...) But they certainly won't be releasing anything until next year. I would now, enjoy it for six months and if by some chance you find you have to have the new model you can sell it later.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2003, 10:37 PM

I bought the second gen 10 gig and have love it. I mean, how many GIGs of space do you need? The only thing I would want is play list on the go. Oh well, just get yourself a nice 15 gig.

nbnz
Senior User
Jul 21, 2003, 11:00 PM

I just got my first iPod (a 3rd Gen 30gig) and I love it. I was tempted to wait till next year when I get home to my CD collection but I just wanted it so bad. Even if Apple does release a "radical new design" I think the current iPods are a design classic with all the features and space I need so I won't be upset when (NOT if) they release something different/better/smaller/lighter etc.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2003, 12:13 AM

if you want one now and have the money then go out and buy one. waiting 6 months for something based on a flimsy rumour is a bit silly.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2003, 12:19 AM

I think you should wait for the iPods in 2005 as they will be much better than the iPods in 2003 or 2004.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2003, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
I think you should wait for the iPods in 2005 as they will be much better than the iPods in 2003 or 2004.

I'd go with the iPod now.. It's great, and it's not worth waiting 6 months for something that might not even happen. I'm planning on getting the 10gb ipod at the end of the summer

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Jul 22, 2003, 01:21 AM

Just buy an iPod now. You'll be able to enjoy it right away. You know that there will always be a newer, "better" iPod a few months away so, if you're waiting for "the" iPod, you'll always be empty handed.

I bought a 2nd gen. refurb 10GB from Apple for $199 and it's fantastic. It doesn't bother me a bit being a generation behind. I enjoy my iPod and I don't regret the purchase.

OT: Hey Spectre, do you know where Hudson's Hope is?

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2003, 01:35 AM

Ugh... just buy one NOW! Instant gratification!

You could probably wait to do anything, but why should you in this case? It is a great portable music player, and whatever comes next won't change that fact.

OreoCookie
Jul 22, 2003, 04:44 AM

Ok, we don't know what's gonna happen 2004. Maybe the hds will be updated plus a software update (like the 2nd gen iPod).

Maybe they'll boost functionality. But what do you need more? I don't really long for a 3rd gen iPod. Granted, going up to 30 gigs would be nice, but 20 gigs suffices my needs

Then there is the software update limitation, thank you very much Apple I have paid 600 Euros for my iPod and they are not updating the software for marchitectural reasons

Plus my battery lasts longer (really an issue).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 22, 2003, 04:46 AM

Marchitectural?

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2003, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Marchitectural?
i was wondering too... he could've meant Architectural though. Marchitectural isn't on dictionary.com

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2003, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Wahnsinn:
OT: Hey Spectre, do you know where Hudson's Hope is?
just west of fort st john...north-east bc
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2003, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
But I heard that iPods in 2006 were going to be simply unbelivable!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Brian McHale
Jul 23, 2003, 11:47 AM

Since I don't have a pressing need for the iPod (as if that should matter), I plan to wait a bit. There is a rumor that they'll be adding a record capability to the iPod. That is a feature I would really like. Furthermore, I already have over 20 GB of music on my Mac and, when I get done putting all my CDs in, I'll probably have 40-50 GB, so I'd like an iPod with 50-60 GB.

Guess I'll be waiting a bit...
Brian

macnnhelpme
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2003, 12:47 PM

Believe it or not I just got to touch the new 3rd gen iPod over the weekend, and man I have to have one!

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2003, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
just west of fort st john...north-east bc
Yup.. I'm actually in the Okanagan

Forum Links
Forum Rules