Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual G4, Dual G4, or Single G5

Dual G4, Dual G4, or Single G5
Peder Rice
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2003, 11:12 PM

Yeah, it's been kicked around a LOT, but I'm in a bit of a different situation (I'm not really focusing on the G5 as an option (I'm cheap).

Currently, I can pick up the following systems:

PowerMac 867 G4
� Dual-867MHz G4
� 256MB PC2100 RAM
� Combo Drive
� 60GB Hard Drive
� MDD Enclosure
� $1299

PowerMac 1GHz G4
� Dual-1GHz G4
� 1GB PC133 RAM
� SuperDrive
� 80GB Hard Drive
� Quicksilver Enclosure
� $1600

PowerMac 1.6GHz G5
� Single-1.6GHz G5
� 256MB PC2700 RAM
� SuperDrive
� 80GB Hard Drive
� New Design
� $1800 (educator discount)

Now, I really do need a SuperDrive, so I'll be adding that into the cost of the dual-867 almost immediately (I can wait a while, but I'd like it as soon as possible). I'll also need a lot of RAM since I'll working only with video projects (just school projects and personal videos, so I'll just be using iMovie and iDVD). I can overclock the dual-867 to 1GHz fairly easily, but I still would have to buy 1GB of RAM to match the dual-1GHz offering; the same applies to the G5 tower. I want the low-end G5, but with a different motherboard than the other two models, I feel as though I may not get the most out of my investment.

What's my best bet of, first and foremost, the two G4 towers, and should I even bother with the G5? Speed isn't a terrible concern, as most programs I use employ SMP, so it's more a question of new architecture than anything.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2003, 07:01 AM

As you mentioned it has been discussed Ad-nauseam , just read the other thousand threads asking which machine to buy (dual g4, single g5, dual g5 etc). I'm sure you will glean all the information you need to make an educated decision.

For my .02 just buy the biggest machine you can afford, that seems to tbe the trend anyways.

Good Luck
Mike

Nodnibs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2003, 04:36 PM

I know that for the PC aTA/100 use ~40% of the CPU whilst
SATA only ~5% or so (not sure the exact numbers but something
like that). So that might be a good thing considering

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2003, 04:40 PM

Just get the G5. You'll be happier with it in the long run. And when it's time to sell it, it will sell for more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules