Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Paint flaking

Paint flaking
xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 02:06 PM

Grr...

So the paint on my left palm rest has begun to flake off. It's getting worse with each passing week. Anyone else having issues?? And if so, any where to go for help? I know there's that touch up paint for the old 15", but will it work with the 17"?

I'll try to get some pictures up when I get off work.
( Last edited by xylon; Sep 30, 2003 at 07:06 PM. )

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

ibook_steve
Sep 30, 2003, 04:26 PM

Uh...there is no paint on any of the aluminum Powerbooks. I think we'd definitely need to see a picture of what you are talking about.

Steve

xylon  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by ibook_steve:
Uh...there is no paint on any of the aluminum Powerbooks. I think we'd definitely need to see a picture of what you are talking about.

Steve
That's what my buddy said, but when he looked at this, he couldn't explain it.
*edit-add*To really see the details, go to the link at the bottom of the page. The last two pictures on that page are larger.

This is the left palm rest. You can see the collection of black specs in sort of a crescent opening up towards the keyboard. It's exactly where my palm touches the computer.

This is the right palm rest taken with as close to the same conditions as the left palm rest. I may have moved back a little bit. You can see a little black spot in the upper right corner, but that's a ding from my watch.

You can also see more pictures at:

http://rigor.res.cmu.edu/Documents.html

There are 1280 x 960 pictures there that really show the paint problem.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 07:19 PM

its called use. IT happens. Call apple about it.

Good luck. Im sure apple will help you out somehow especially sense you got pics. Just direct them to that link. they might not look though. How old is your 17?
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 07:22 PM

Its prob your sweat that is causing the corrosion/tarnish. It is not paint. Your best bet is to start cleaning your PB more often.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

xylon  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by LfGrdMike:
its called use. IT happens. Call apple about it.
I realize that, but what concerns me is that I thought this wouldn't be an issue because there isn't any paint (in theory) on these PB's. So what's going on here? I thought Apple had fixed the paint flaking problem (granted there are still going to be issues) and the fact that I haven't heard any other PB users saying anything...

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

xylon  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by Sandbaggins:
Its prob your sweat that is causing the corrosion/tarnish. It is not paint. Your best bet is to start cleaning your PB more often.
Hmm, maybe, but I do a pretty thourough job of cleaning it. Any way to rebuff it?

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by xylon:
I realize that, but what concerns me is that I thought this wouldn't be an issue because there isn't any paint (in theory) on these PB's. So what's going on here? I thought Apple had fixed the paint flaking problem (granted there are still going to be issues) and the fact that I haven't heard any other PB users saying anything...
Again, its not paint: http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/3

and: http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

xylon  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 07:33 PM

Thanks. Why couldn't I find this when I signed on...

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

MacsGalor
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 09:59 PM

By looking at the pictures to me it looks just like the shape of your palm. Just the back part about like what touches when use start typing. So with that said along with nobody else running into this and the fact that it is not paint I think that it is something from you. Where do you work? Do you use any chemicals that could get on your hands, or grease anything like that? Do you sweat alot? Thats what I would look into. A good way to tell if this is the case would be to;
Take a small towel or rag and put it between your palm and the computer and do that for a while then look to see if it has gotten worse or stayed the same. If it did not get worse than thats the problem.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by MacsGalor:
So with that said along with nobody else running into this and the fact that it is not paint I think that it is something from you.
There are many people who have complained in the Apple support forums. Its basically sweat. Aluminum + sweat = nasty powerbook.

pwolfe1
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 10:27 PM

proper hygene my man! wash those paws before you handle your Ti!!!

seriously though, there has to be some kind of polish you can use to refresh the metal....

Forum Links
Forum Rules