Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > what the heck is going on with the Sox A's game?

what the heck is going on with the Sox A's game?
G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2003, 09:25 PM

?!?!?!? seems like they are in little league. hopefully the sox will pull it together and continue on.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2003, 12:18 AM

Well that was quite an interesting game. The A's practically gave game 3 to Boston. Those 3 errors in the 2nd inning almost killed us. It was Lilly's pitching that kept the game from becoming a blow out. And what was up with the 6th inning? Would it have killed Miguel Tejada to tag home plate before he started protesting that interference call? You think he would have learned from Eric Brynes bonehead play earlier in the inning. It's kinda sad but I knew the game was over as soon as Rich Harden came into the game. My brother even called the Trot Nixon walk-off homer.

Oh well, the A's can't dwell on tonight's missed opportunities. Hopefully they go into Game 4 pissed off instead of feeling sorry for themselves. This win has definitely shifted the momentum back to Boston.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

malvolio
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2003, 02:17 AM

There have been lots of weird and just plain lousy plays so far in this year's playoffs. Defense and base-running miscues right and left, and some really p*ss-poor calls by the umps. Like that obstruction that wasn't called against the Red Sox. The supervisor of officiating was in the stands, and he said he saw it as clearly obstruction.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by malvolio:
... Like that obstruction that wasn't called against the Red Sox. The supervisor of officiating was in the stands, and he said he saw it as clearly obstruction.
I agree it was a bad call but Tejada shouldn't have even been on second in the first place. On the previous play when Varitek tagged that runner out who missed the plate, the runners shouldn't have been allowed to advance. The Oakland player pushed Varitek as he went for the ball after the collision. There's no question the Oakland player was guilty of interference.

G4ME  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2003, 02:36 AM

nah thats just Varitek just guarding the plate well

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
nah thats just Varitek just guarding the plate well
I'm talking about AFTER the collision. Varitek didn't do anything wrong. The Oakland runner got up and pushed Varitek as he went for the ball. Nobody noticed because veryone was so surprised when Varitek tagged the Oakland player out. Not sure WHAT the Oakland player was thinking. He should have known he didn't tag the plate AND he should have known better than to push Varitek. He paid the price for not tagging the plate but he got away with the push.

G4ME  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2003, 03:24 AM

like i said, Varitek guarding the plate well

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
like i said, Varitek guarding the plate well
Yes he did but the Oakland player still should have been called for interference. He wasn't.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2003, 08:17 AM

Thank god I can watch these games live on RealOne player (for a price). Over here in Cyprus we don't get baseball on TV, except on some satellites but its only the national league.

This is the first baseball thread I've ever read on Macnn! Keep it up. Go A's!!!

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2003, 10:08 AM

If you think about it none of this would have even been a story if Tejada had kept running. He had the throw beat by lightyears but for some reason he decided to stop 2 feet from home plant and complain.

Hopefully Hudson is hittable on 3 days rest!

Go Sox.

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
There have been lots of weird and just plain lousy plays so far in this year's playoffs. Defense and base-running miscues right and left, and some really p*ss-poor calls by the umps. Like that obstruction that wasn't called against the Red Sox. The supervisor of officiating was in the stands, and he said he saw it as clearly obstruction.
It was called obstruction, actually, according to today's Globe. What was contentious was whether or not obstruction by definition awards a base. The rules apparently state that 'the runner advances at his own peril' which proved to be true, indeed.

Of course, i was in the fourth-to-last row in the center field bleachers, under the scoreboard, and none of us had any damn clue what was going on. i didn't see the push against Varitek, though. We were, however, screaming for Nixon the entire game.

Of course, some of the people near me were also asking for Mueller, Ramirez, and Ortiz to be replaced by Craig Grebeck, Tony Clark, and Jeremy Giambi.

G4ME  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2003, 04:03 PM

Ortiz is Clutch, let just keep the lead.

G4ME  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2003, 04:10 PM

****IN A

G4ME  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2003, 11:32 PM

NY here we come

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 11:36 PM

tense last inning, can't wait for wednesday. Did you see how many red sox fans were there? hope damon is ok.

Forum Links
Forum Rules